Post a reply

Do you really need an expensive cue to play well

Postby Tonsgalore

It’s a conversation been had many times but do we need an expensive cue to play well?

The obvious answer is no. We all know this but why do so many of us still get drawn into buying a hand made cue worth hundreds and sometimes thousands of pounds.

How many of you would actually know the cue you’ve purchased for £500-£600-£700 is not a cheaper cue rebadged? It happens.
How many cue makers will actually let you go to their workshop and see the process of making a cue? Will Hunt says you can on his website but he’s the only one I’ve ever heard of allowing it. There’s plenty that say you CAN’T go to their workshop. Why? I would love to see the processes of cue making up close.
Why do the majority of us buy blind? Surely it’s best to go and try a few cues of different spec to see how it feels? Again there is only one place I know you can go and do that.
Even the astronomical cost of a JP cue off the shelf in his shop and he still won’t allow you to take shots with it before hand. Seems crazy to think people will lay out £500-£800 for a cue without trying it out.

What’s your thoughts?

Re: Do you really need an expensive cue to play well

Postby GeF

I went to John Parris cue one day.
I asked him, "If I buy the same cue as ROS, will I play like him?"
He said, "I can not guarantee it" (laugh)

I did not buy the cue.

Postby rekoons

IIRC Ken Doherty's cue is bent like a banana, he picked it up as a young lad from his snooker club (or got it as a gift from the club owner, don't remember exactly)

Mine is also a cheap one, broke it once (split around the joint) got it repaired, but now the bottom part of the shaft is without the traditional 4 black spiky things/points/arrows (don't know how they're called)

Actually it's an ugly cue, but I got used to it so no reason to change really.

Postby GeF

Dan-cat wrote:
GeF wrote:I went to John Parris cue one day.
I asked him, "If I buy the same cue as ROS, will I play like him?"
He said, "I can not guarantee it" (laugh)

I did not buy the cue.

Did you base your decision on his answer?

It was just an imagination. I never go to Parris Cue.

Postby chengdufan

Great story GeF.
I bought mine from my playing partner for a tenner. Shortly after he bought it, his dad gave him a much better one for his birthday.
It seems to do the job. I've played with better ones from the rack at the club, but that's always a bit hit and miss