Post a reply

Old table

Postby Jack farrell

Hi there, I have recently bought an old table from a friend of mine and am looking for more information about it. I am told it may actually be a billiards table and am not sure of the brand/ age of the table. Thank you for any help I receive

Re: Old table

Postby acesinc

Jack farrell wrote:Hi there, I have recently bought an old table from a friend of mine and am looking for more information about it. I am told it may actually be a billiards table and am not sure of the brand/ age of the table. Thank you for any help I receive

Welcome, Jack. Congratulations on your new purchase! I hope you can enjoy it for many years to come. As for your query, you will find many friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable people here on Snooker Island, but you will need to add a bit more information to your post before anyone will be able to help you. The only fact we can so far discern from your post is that you have recently bought a table and that it may or may not be a snooker table. Not much to go on there.

For instance, my table is a Brunswick-Balke-Collender, an American company better known for manufacturing American pool tables. I know this because it is clearly labeled on a name plate on a rail. It is nearly a century old. I know that because if I crawl on the ground underneath I can find another label that gives various Patent Numbers for the table along with dates, the latest being December, 1923. My table fitter tells me it is very likely the table was manufactured within about six months of that last date. I even know the serial number of my table (although that is not too useful....there are no further records for my serial number as the Brunswick factory burned down at some point presumably with record of my table's sale inside). It is standard full size, commonly called 12 foot...is yours? Beyond that, I know little about other table manufacturers in general, but I know my own table better than I know my wife. If you can post a picture, that may help immensely as someone here on the Island may recognize the brand and/or vintage. (However, posting photos is not exactly straightforward...you may need to ask someone how to do that as well.)

As for your quip about it being a "billiards table", that is certainly true. "Billiards table" is really just a generic term and may be properly used to describe many different types and sizes of cue sports tables, whether they have pockets or indeed are without pockets, such as the French variety.The phrase "snooker table" is a misnomer, as the game of Snooker is in fact played on a surface which is properly termed an "English Billiards" table. The game of English Billiards with its table design had been around for centuries before Snooker was even invented. If your new "old table" bears more than a simple passing resemblance to the tables that Ronnie O'Sullivan plays on, then yes, it is an English Billiards table, but most people today will refer to this as a Snooker table and others will well understand their meaning.

So if you are still out there, try to tell and show us a bit more about your new acquisition.

Re: Old table

Postby chengdufan

acesinc wrote:
Jack farrell wrote:Hi there, I have recently bought an old table from a friend of mine and am looking for more information about it. I am told it may actually be a billiards table and am not sure of the brand/ age of the table. Thank you for any help I receive

Welcome, Jack. Congratulations on your new purchase! I hope you can enjoy it for many years to come. As for your query, you will find many friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable people here on Snooker Island, but you will need to add a bit more information to your post before anyone will be able to help you. The only fact we can so far discern from your post is that you have recently bought a table and that it may or may not be a snooker table. Not much to go on there.

For instance, my table is a Brunswick-Balke-Collender, an American company better known for manufacturing American pool tables. I know this because it is clearly labeled on a name plate on a rail. It is nearly a century old. I know that because if I crawl on the ground underneath I can find another label that gives various Patent Numbers for the table along with dates, the latest being December, 1923. My table fitter tells me it is very likely the table was manufactured within about six months of that last date. I even know the serial number of my table (although that is not too useful....there are no further records for my serial number as the Brunswick factory burned down at some point presumably with record of my table's sale inside). It is standard full size, commonly called 12 foot...is yours? Beyond that, I know little about other table manufacturers in general, but I know my own table better than I know my wife. If you can post a picture, that may help immensely as someone here on the Island may recognize the brand and/or vintage. (However, posting photos is not exactly straightforward...you may need to ask someone how to do that as well.)

As for your quip about it being a "billiards table", that is certainly true. "Billiards table" is really just a generic term and may be properly used to describe many different types and sizes of cue sports tables, whether they have pockets or indeed are without pockets, such as the French variety.The phrase "snooker table" is a misnomer, as the game of Snooker is in fact played on a surface which is properly termed an "English Billiards" table. The game of English Billiards with its table design had been around for centuries before Snooker was even invented. If your new "old table" bears more than a simple passing resemblance to the tables that Ronnie O'Sullivan plays on, then yes, it is an English Billiards table, but most people today will refer to this as a Snooker table and others will well understand their meaning.

So if you are still out there, try to tell and show us a bit more about your new acquisition.

:goodpost:
I, for one, would love to see a pic of the table.
Welcome Jack!