Post a reply

Does the fact this isn't on main channel diss Paul Hunter?

Postby SnookerFan

Eurosport are covering this tournament, but are whacking on the Eurosport Player and not the main channel.

As a PTC, this was one of the ones that a lot of people watched. Even most of us hardcore fans tend to dip in and out of the majority of them. Now PTCs are no longer, and it's been upgraded to a full ranking event, it seems strange there's not a second of it is on the main channel.

Does this insult the memory of Paul Hunter? Or am I just overreacting? Is it more due it being summer, and less public interest in televised snooker?

Re: Does the fact this isn't on main channel diss Paul Hunte

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:Eurosport are covering this tournament, but are whacking on the Eurosport Player and not the main channel.

As a PTC, this was one of the ones that a lot of people watched. Even most of us hardcore fans tend to dip in and out of the majority of them. Now PTCs are no longer, and it's been upgraded to a full ranking event, it seems strange there's not a second of it is on the main channel.

Does this insult the memory of Paul Hunter? Or am I just overreacting? Is it more due it being summer, and less public interest in televised snooker?

What are you dribbling on about now?

Postby PoolBoy

Was thinking that, SnookerFan, but then I thought, it's a nice accolade for Paul Hunter to have an actual Ranking Event played in his name. How many seasons it will hold that status remains to be seen, but its profile has been elevated this year, even though few of us are getting to see any of it!

Postby PLtheRef

PoolBoy wrote:Was thinking that, SnookerFan, but then I thought, it's a nice accolade for Paul Hunter to have an actual Ranking Event played in his name. How many seasons it will hold that status remains to be seen, but its profile has been elevated this year, even though few of us are getting to see any of it!

Interesting - but there are a few who may well think the opposite. - An interesting point raised on twitter - was it a mistake to attach ranking points to that event?

First, it's fantastic that we have a tournament which is played in Paul's memory and also that it is great that it is such a success that it is keenly anticipated during the early season - but it's having ranking status means it could well come to a stage where it's not as high priority on some players lists. Leading it to potentially become as someone on twitter put "another tournament that a lot of players haven't bothered entering."

That's what might be more of a 'diss' to Hunter - than it not being on the mainstream Eurosport channels.

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:I guess if they didn't give it ranking status that even less pros might have entered which may have been a bigger diss.

A positive of it being only on eurosport player....no Colin Murray!

rofl

They'd probably not have used him, to be fair. They tend more so for the bigger events. Usually the BBC ones. In an attempt at stealing viewers away from Hazel Irvine.

Postby Wildey

SteveJJ wrote:I guess if they didn't give it ranking status that even less pros might have entered which may have been a bigger diss.

A positive of it being only on eurosport player....no Colin Murray!

More top players entered when it was a PTC than this years shambolic attempt at staging a tournament.

I Dont think its status being lifted this year just the opposite calling a tournament a Ranking Event doesent make it a ranking event in the same way calling a hill a mountain doesent make it one.