Post a reply

Re: World Snooker International Championship Last 16 !!!

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:This could and probably will be Ronnies toughest season since 2010. He's playing poor stuff for long periods of the match and has been for some time. Losing to journeymen like Holt or the likes of Holts is just a killer for your confidence. He needs to get going in the next tournament or in any of the next tournaments. Quickly.

Atm he's probably even doubting about his own ability.

On the +positive side Ronnie only lost by 1 frame at the EM Final against one of the 3 best players this season.

But yes signs his game is deterioting.

But those who think Ronnie is finished will just make him hungrier to win his next title. <ok> :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
On the +positive side Ronnie only lost by 1 frame at the EM Final against one of the 3 best players this season.

But those who think Ronnie is finished will just make him hungrier to win his next title. <ok> :wave:

I bet there's posters on this board who wish there game was deteriorating to the extent that they could win a one-sided Masters final, win the Welsh Open an and then get to the European final in the same calendar year.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:This could and probably will be Ronnies toughest season since 2010. He's playing poor stuff for long periods of the match and has been for some time. Losing to journeymen like Holt or the likes of Holts is just a killer for your confidence. He needs to get going in the next tournament or in any of the next tournaments. Quickly.

Hopefully. The thing though is, the older you get the more worrying are these kind of signs Ronnies showing atm. Missing easy balls, playing poorly throughout most periods of a match, weak concentration level...

I don't wanna evoke that legendary "decline" debate again though. That would be silly. He proved everyone wrong so many times. Atm there's no choice other than to wait and see how the tournaments will be like.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Andre147 wrote:

there arent any positives. to watch this shot performance everytime now is just painful.

this sucks simply. everytime the same rubbish.

first frame gave the tone of the match. he lost so many close frames on the colours. just a buck off this match

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:5-3. I'll be very surprised now if Ronnie wins this match.

Appears bogeyman Holt has struck again :irk:

On the plus side, when they clashed at the Grand Prix it was the first time they'd played each other in nine years.

Maybe they won't play each other again for ages. <laugh>

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:I dunno about decline yet. He's just off form. He's had patches like this throughout his whole career, and then come back and steamrollered the field and won two tournaments or more.

Yes, but michael bucking holt though?!

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I dunno about decline yet. He's just off form. He's had patches like this throughout his whole career, and then come back and steamrollered the field and won two tournaments or more.

Blasphemy.

He's declined so much, he may as well retire. Don't you know anything about snooker? :grrr:

Postby Cheshire Cat

Hendry was a fantastic safety player, but towards the end of his career he really neglected it in favour of aggression. When it worked, it was brilliant, but more often than not, it just made him an easy target because he refused to accept the more percentage game.

ROS is doing the same lately, which is disappointing. I don't think he's in decline, but any player that doesn't give due respect to the safety element of the game can't expect to compete and win at this level.

EDIT: unless you're Shaun Murphy in 2005. I don't think anyone will ever, literally, pot their way to the World title like he did that year.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I bet there's posters on this board who wish there game was deteriorating to the extent that they could win a one-sided Masters final, win the Welsh Open an and then get to the European final in the same calendar year.

I agree.

There are posters here who act like Ronnie hasn't won a title in 10 years! He's the current Masters and Welsh Open Champion, just reached the Final of EM 2 weeks ago.

Age not on his side, but he'll be back to win a few more titles. <ok>

Postby Andre147

Cheshire Cat wrote:Hendry was a fantastic safety player, but towards the end of his career he really neglected it in favour of aggression. When it worked, it was brilliant, but more often than not, it just made him an easy target because he refused to accept the more percentage game.

ROS is doing the same lately, which is disappointing. I don't think he's in decline, but any player that doesn't give due respect to the safety element of the game can't expect to compete and win at this level.

EDIT: unless you're Shaun Murphy in 2005. I don't think anyone will ever, literally, pot their way to the World title like he did that year.

Dont compare Hendry with Ronnie on the safety department. Hendry had a non-existent safety game, Ronnie when he's on it has one of the best safety games in Snooker.

Even with Ronnie's safety game off like today, it's still better than Hendry's ever was!

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:

On the nail.

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:Dont compare Hendry with Ronnie on the safety department. Hendry had a non-existent safety game, Ronnie when he's on it has one of the best safety games in Snooker.

Even with Ronnie's safety game off like today, it's still better than Hendry's ever was!

Hendry did not have a bad safety game. I remember! You should go back and watch his wins.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Dont compare Hendry with Ronnie on the safety department. Hendry had a non-existent safety game, Ronnie when he's on it has one of the best safety games in Snooker.

Hendry did not have a bad safety game. I remember! You should go back and watch his wins.

He didn't Dan ecause he simply didnt need to. His potting won him most matches. Ronnie's safety is far superior to his. Reardon helped Ronnie massively in this.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

He didn't Dan ecause he simply didnt need to. His potting won him most matches. Ronnie's safety is far superior to his. Reardon helped Ronnie massively in this.

Hendry's safety game was marmite. He even admits that himself.

Postby hendry_fan

Well,wellll,wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!,

Holty does it yet agaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!.

I unfortunatley did,nt see any of the match,as i was gettin my mop cut this afternoon,when i was finished at the hairdressers,i had a peek on the live scoring.

COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME

ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

MICHAEL HOLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIANT STUFF MATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE!

<ok> :clap: :happy: <ok> :clap: :happy: <ok> :clap: :happy:

I,m buzzin,i feel as square as a cube. :-D

Postby TheRocket

things which speak for Ronnie:

- proved everyone wrong so many times in the past when people said he's finished or on decline.

- reached the final of the European Masters, played as good as ever in the semis against Robertson

things which speak against him.

-age (almost 41)

- low confidence / his own comment about not being able to compete with the best players anymore (I admit, he kept saying this kind of negative stuff a lot)

-losing streak to a journeyman like Holt and losing to an amateurish player like Wakelin

- his poor level in the recent finals he played. Notable , even at the WO, where he played classy stuff until the final.

Future will tell us whether the good or dark side will prevail.

Postby Goldenballs147

It's frustrating to watch O'Sullivan play the way he's playing. This isn't an "over 40 decline" type situation, this is the Two Ronnies except without the canned laughter.

What possible good can come out of saying at a post match press conference that you're no longer good enough to compete with the best, when your next opponent is a journeyman like Holt who has managed to beat you twice already this year. Psychologically that can't be good for you. Especially when it's also simply not true. You don't win the Masters, the Welsh Open, whitewash a player like Robertson and reach the final of a tournament and go nearly to the wire if you're just not good enough.

Even with him maintaining his composure in the face of some of the glaring errors he's been making it's almost as if he's settled on going through the motions instead rather than showing any sort of natural frustration and then trying to do something about it.

The safety mistakes, the easy balls being missed, the dodgy positional play, these aren't caused by lack or decline of ability. It's more like he's trying to prove at any cost that he's just enjoying playing and he enjoys his punditry more. Which is a shame because he's a terrible pundit at times.
Last edited by Goldenballs147 on 26 Oct 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:things which speak for Ronnie:

- proved everyone wrong so many times in the past when people said he's finished or on decline.

- reached the final of the European Masters, played as good as ever in the semis against Robertson

things which speak against him.

-age (almost 41)

- low confidence / his own comment about not being able to compete with the best players anymore (I admit, he kept saying this kind of negative stuff a lot)

-losing streak to a journeyman like Holt and losing to an amateurish player like Wakelin

- his poor level in the recent finals he played. Notable , even at the WO, where he played classy stuff until the final.

Future will tell us whether the good or dark side will prevail.

Good analysis.

Force is with Ronnie, so the good side will prevail! <ok>

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

Decline ? Mmmmm, i'm not sure.

I have seen him play worst . And he has never dominated snooker like Hendry.

The players playing well early in the season are not necessarily the players which will play well in march / april.

Imagine Crucible final 2017: Robertson / O'Sullivan. Strong possibility in my opinion.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:The only people Ronnie proves wrong about decline are his own fans.

Truer words never been spoken SF! <ok>

I'll start worrying if by the end of this seasn he doesn't win any title, and unlike in the past age isn't on his side. Until then, all of this talk is bull. pmsl

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
Good analysis.

Force is with Ronnie, so the good side will prevail! <ok>

To be fair mate. I wouldn't even care if he keeps losing in earlier rounds, even to the likes of Wakelin as long as he wins one more bucking world title. That's all I wanna see at this stage. It's well known, he has nothing to prove anymore. One or two more rankers won't change a lot, a world title though will make his legacy bigger, if that's even possible.

But I'm obviously a realist. He probably won't win the World title, entering the tournament with that kind of form he's showing atm so he needs to grow some confidence which he hopefully does in near future.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Goldenballs147 wrote:It's frustrating to watch O'Sullivan play the way he's playing. This isn't an "over 40 decline" type situation, this is the Two Ronnies except without the canned laughter.

What possible good can come out of saying at a post match press conference that you're no longer good enough to compete with the best, when your next opponent is a journeyman like Holt who has managed to beat you twice already this year. Psychologically that can't be good for you. Especially when it's also simply not true. You don't win the Masters, the Welsh Open, whitewash a player like Robertson and reach the final of a tournament and go nearly to the wire if you're just not good enough.

Even with him maintaining his composure in the face of some of the glaring errors he's been making it's almost as if he's settled on going through the motions instead rather than showing any sort of natural frustration and then trying to do something about it.

The safety mistakes, the easy balls being missed, the dodgy positional play, these aren't caused by lack or decline of ability. It's more like he's trying to prove at any cost that he's just enjoying playing and he enjoys his punditry more. Which is a shame because he's a terrible pundit at times.

This is a very good analysis and I agree.

Ronnie has gone from one extreme to another; it used to be 'I won't settle for anything less than perfection', and now it's 'oh well, sod it, if I lose then that's that'. I don't like this mentality, it's very defeatist. Mark Selby strives for perfection and is scathingly self critical of himself, but he always gives 110% whether he's playing well or not.