Post a reply

Re: Coral Scottish Open Quarter Finals !!!!!!

Postby Andre147

snucar wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Anything but a Higgins win would be fine. Couldn't stand him move one ranker above Davis and especially Ronnie.

You give way too much importance on numbers, Andre. What if Higgins gets to 29 rankers? Would that make him officially better than Ronnie or -God help us- Davis? What a tragedy would that be. I'd like to remind all you fans of Ronnie or Higgins that good ol' Davis has 4 UK(!) titles not counting as rankers and he didn't have 20 ranking events to compete every year like these two have today.

Of course it wouldn't, but still not nice for him to be moving ahead. The positive is that everytime it has happened that has inspired Ronnie to play well and win another.

Postby sundaygirl

"I definitely think, the overall standard just a year and half or two years ago was a lot higher than it is now."

On first read I totally thought Rocket was talking about the Island not the Snooker :parrot:

Postby PoolBoy

Just for fun, here's the Order of Merit for the 'Home Nations Series' as it stands, including money for this event:
(Players in bold are still involved in this competition)

1. Liang Wenbo 82,500
2. Mark King 75,000
3. Barry Hawkins 56,000
4. Judd Trump 40,000
5 = Anthony Hamilton 36,000
5 = John Higgins 36,000
7. Kyren Wilson 29,500
8. Mark J Williams 22,000
9. Stuart Bingham 20,000
10 = Ronnie O'Sullivan 19,500
10 = Mark Allen 19,500
12. Ricky Walden 17,000
13. Chris Wakelin 16,000
14 = Mark Davis 15,000
14 = Marco Fu 15,000
14 = Michael White 15,000
17. Yu Delu 12,500

Postby TheRocket

sundaygirl wrote:"I definitely think, the overall standard just a year and half or two years ago was a lot higher than it is now."

On first read I totally thought Rocket was talking about the Island not the Snooker :parrot:

Well, I actually think, you can apply it to the forum as well haha. The forum was indeed in a better shape two years ago.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I definitely think, the overall standard just a year and half or two years ago was a lot higher than it is now.

The very topplayers like Robertson, Trump, Ronnie playing much weaker now. Murphy isn't the same player since his defeat in the 2015 world final.

Binghams level dropped a lot after his win in the WC, Hawkins hasn't convinced me either apart from his special win over Ronnie this year.

Selby is the only player you have to say, who is playing consistently at a good level. And deservedly won the titles he won. But there's a vacuum atm. And Higgins is benefiting a lot from this situation.

If the weak standard continues Higgins might have a decent chance to win a World title. Selby is the only player atm I'd make clear favourite when playing against Higgins.

Higgins is benefiting from this no doubt. But Ronnie too could do the same, and he hasn't been able to do so.

Crucible is a diferent ball game altogether and I firmly believe Higgins won't win another title there, been saying this for 3 years now.

I wouldn't be too much surprised if Robbo had a deep run there or possibly win his 2nd. He's been quiet so far this season, so that makes me think he's saving his best for the latter part. Hopefully Ronnie too. A final between the two of them would be very nice, we had a chance of that in 2014 but Robbo blew it.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:"I definitely think, the overall standard just a year and half or two years ago was a lot higher than it is now."

So, prime Island was around 2014?

Yeah, sounds about right.

Post-CAUC era, pre- total Ronnie fanboy era.

Postby Andre147

lol SI had it's prime in 2014, now it's...

DECLINE!

Some would argue it's prime was when Bourne, Smart and co were around... I couldn't stand Bourne though, he was a Trump fanboy allright!

Postby snucar

SnookerFan wrote:They should improve this tournament by building it close to an airport.

The Irish Open should be the 4th major. Without doubt. Even Mark Allen would agree with that.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

SnookerFan wrote:Whilst we're talking about massive bellends with Twitter accounts, here's CJ from Egghead's opion.

CJ de Mooi ‏@cjdemooi
#homenations I like the 128 format with players having to earn or keep a top 16 place. I think @markwil147 has another tournament in him!

I thought he was charged with that murder that he admitted to but probably never happened.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Whilst we're talking about massive bellends with Twitter accounts, here's CJ from Egghead's opion.

CJ de Mooi ‏@cjdemooi
#homenations I like the 128 format with players having to earn or keep a top 16 place. I think @markwil147 has another tournament in him!

I thought he charged with that murder that he admitted to but probably never happened.

He got let off, I think. No proof, or some such.

Postby PoolBoy

snucar wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Anything but a Higgins win would be fine. Couldn't stand him move one ranker above Davis and especially Ronnie.

You give way too much importance on numbers, Andre. What if Higgins gets to 29 rankers? Would that make him officially better than Ronnie or -God help us- Davis? What a tragedy would that be. I'd like to remind all you fans of Ronnie or Higgins that good ol' Davis has 4 UK(!) titles not counting as rankers and he didn't have 20 ranking events to compete every year like these two have today.

I think It's 'just' 2 of Steve Davis' UK titles that don't count towards the ranking event total.
But, nevertheless, it's a valid point.

Postby Andre147

Very happy Mavis v Fu is the main TV match!

CMON Marco!

Fu v Wenbo Semi would be a delight!

Delu v Mavis wouldn't be on the other hand.

Postby Pink Ball

Snooker Island is a good forum, a lot of posters are great craic. I don't understand some people's snootiness that we should talk only about snooker, or treat everyone in snooker like a god. If someone's a pin end, they're a pin end.

And if somebody doesn't like Ronnie O'Sullivan or Mark Selby or Stephen Hendry, who's to say they're not real snooker fans? A lot of football nuts hate boring defensive football, and their opinion isn't treated with snobby contempt. Why is this the case in snooker? Everyone has different opinions and that's both the point of a forum and what makes them fun.