Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Final Ronnie O'Sullivan v Joe Perry

Postby SnookerFan

There was a time when Ronnie wasn't playing well, he'd give up and throw in the towel. That is what Steve Peters has helped with.

Some tournaments this year he's played poorly and got to finals. I know his fans want to pretend that it's a negative. It really isn't. Once when he wasn't playing well, he'd go out in the first round to a qualifier. Now he plays badly, and gets to the final.

But what do I know? I'm not a Ronnie fan, so I'm not allowed to acknowledge he's one of the best players ever. Or that he's improved. I'm dull, apparently.

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie doing what Selby would do on a bad day. Potting a red and if he's out of position, no emotion, plays a superb safety and just looks very confident out there. Not really great to watch. But effective. And he's obviously doing everything at a quicker speed than Selby which does it make slightly nicer to watch.

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

I think it's a good sign that he's playing selby style.

Especially at the approach of the world championships.

If he wants to win them he will have to be very good in the field of safety like tonight for the moment because his scoring does not work very well and I find him anyway very patient.

The mind is there and it is good news.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:There was a time when Ronnie wasn't playing well, he'd give up and throw in the towel. That is what Steve Peters has helped with.

Some tournaments this year he's played poorly and got to finals. I know his fans want to pretend that it's a negative. It really isn't. Once when he wasn't playing well, he'd go out in the first round to a qualifier. Now he plays badly, and gets to the final.

But what do I know? I'm not a Ronnie fan, so I'm not allowed to acknowledge he's one of the best players ever. Or that he's improved. I'm dull, apparently.

You're missing the point. Anyway, forget this. Move on.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:There was a time when Ronnie wasn't playing well, he'd give up and throw in the towel. That is what Steve Peters has helped with.

what the buck is the point?

Postby Andre147

Also let's not forget this will be the 1st time Ronnie will sucessfully defend a Masters title, after heartbreaking losses in 2006 and 2010 especially, 1997 v Davis also.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Ronnie's not as good as before, he's still great, just not as consistently good as before. That's the point. Call it decline if you want.

Nobody here is saying he's a disgrace or can't play the game anymore. That's just silly talk.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie's not playing that bad, in my opinion. He just has set the bar so very high over the years... I've seen Selby play a lot worse than this, and he's the world number one and eight years younger than Ronnie. I've seen Ronnie play a lot worse than he his now as well, even when he was young. Keep in mind Ronnie's playing with a new tip.

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

Great post.

This year he has had consistent results. Many finals, quarter finals.

Mentally he is really strong now. I think it's one of the players with the biggest mind. I put him just behind selby-higgins.

He did not drop matches this year. Cf.Kyren Wilson in Ireland.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:Also let's not forget this will be the 1st time Ronnie will sucessfully defend a Masters title, after heartbreaking losses in 2006 and 2010 especially, 1997 v Davis also.

I thought his chances for doing that was gone after the 2010 disaster. It would be a fantastic achievement if he does pull it off tonight.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

For once I agree with you.

I legitimately don't understand. I'm praising Ronnie, and the Ronnie fanboys have a pop at me.

I can't do right for doing wrong.

Postby Cloud Strife

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Also let's not forget this will be the 1st time Ronnie will sucessfully defend a Masters title, after heartbreaking losses in 2006 and 2010 especially, 1997 v Davis also.

I thought his chances for doing that was gone after the 2010 disaster. It would be a fantastic achievement if he does pull it off tonight.

97 wouldn't have been a defence.