Post a reply

Re: F66.Com German Masters Final !!!!!

Postby LC

hendry_fan wrote:That trophy looks great,it aint silverware,but,it,ll count as silverware,looks booootiful all the same. <ok> :-)

Looks like a fruit bowl lol

Postby Iranu

LC wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:That trophy looks great,it aint silverware,but,it,ll count as silverware,looks booootiful all the same. <ok> :-)

It would make a geeat bowl for a Pimms & lemonade fruit punch.

Postby hendry_fan

LC wrote:

Aye,a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry precious one. :happy:

Postby Big-butt

Vallomas wrote:Really, really thrilled for Anthony!

What a fairy tale to see him winning a ranker, especially after the bitter end of his Northern Ireland Open run. He played very well in the evening session and he fully deserved it.

And what a route to the trophy; McGill at the first qualifier, MJW in the 1st proper round, Selby next, Hawkins, Bingham and now a resurgent Carter. UNBELIEVABLE!

I made a thought when he beat MJW in Wednesday, as I remember that Gould also beat the same opponent in his first round last year. But I didn't believe he could do it until he beat Hawkins in that dramatic quarter final. Now he's done it. Tremendous.

too true.... <ok>

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Fair to say, we'll see many more journeymen winning rankers in the future. Lack of new talents and 20 ranking titles per season will make it possible. The system definitely suits the lower ranked players.

The very topplayers will always skip around 3 or 4 of these 20 rankers and even take it (at times) more or less as practice sessions for the bigger tournaments while the lower ranked players play for their life.

Ryan Day, Mark Davis, Michael Holt and whoever I forgot to mention. Their time will come. Mark my words.

Day and Mavis are the next two I'd love to see as first time ranking event winners.

Holt pmsl Hope he never wins one, and no, this isn't because he's beaten Ronnie recently, if you know me here you know I never liked him. A bellend, like Selt.

Postby TheRocket

I'm quite sure Hendry must be laughing about this. He has already retired 5 years ago and now he's got to watch how players and journeymen he played and destroyed regularly in the 90's are reaching finals and winning ranking tournaments. rofl

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie and Jimmy both extremely happy. I don't think there is any snookerplayer who isnt happy for Anthony. Just a very popular guy among everybody. Even in this forum everybody supported him.

Postby gallantrabbit

Anyone who played the proams in the late 80s and 90s will know what a hell of a player Hamilton is. The wonder is how this is the first. I`m so delighted he didn`t scrap his way to it, but pumped out the breaks. Wonderful. Hope he builds.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't know why I went to bed early last night. It took me a couple of hours to get to sleep, and Hamilton had won it in half an hour anyway. :grrr:

#snookerfansmoans #grumpy

Postby gallantrabbit

26 years to win a title and didn't look like he'd miss a ball all night. As much as I'd like him to I don't think Mark King will ever win a ranker again, but the way Hamilton cued last night I can see him winning again. This is a man who has seriously underachieved, from te same crop as Ebdon, Doherty etc and is one class player. Nice fellow too so hope he does it.

Postby Andre147

I do agree King wont ever win another ranker, and yes Hamilton is on the very same level of a Ebdon, Doherty, those 2 are no better than him ability wise.

Unfortunately thats only half of it, you've got to make the most of that, and Hamilton clearly never did throughout his whole career.

At least he's no longer the best player never to win a ranking event. I don't know if he'll ever win another, but this one is in the bag already at last!

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:I do agree King wont ever win another ranker, and yes Hamilton is on the very same level of a Ebdon, Doherty, those 2 are no better than him ability wise.

Unfortunately thats only half of it, you've got to make the most of that, and Hamilton clearly never did throughout his whole career.

At least he's no longer the best player never to win a ranking event. I don't know if he'll ever win another, but this one is in the bag already at last!

I like Hamilton, and was glad he won, but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Ebdon or Doherty.

Basing it on pure talent, maybe. But there's more to succeeding as a professional player than talent. You've got to have the mental side to the game to be able to win tournaments. You've got to be able to be confident in front of a crowd and a television camera. You've got to be able to lose a frame you should've won, and not get angry enough to let it hinder you for the rest of the match. That's what separates the good/talented players and the great players. The mental strength.

Who knows? Maybe Hamilton will do like Bingham did after winning the Australian, and use his confidence to take more titles. But, as it stands now, I put Hamilton quite a long way behind Ebdon and Doherty.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:I do agree King wont ever win another ranker, and yes Hamilton is on the very same level of a Ebdon, Doherty, those 2 are no better than him ability wise.

I like Hamilton, and was glad he won, but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Ebdon or Doherty.

Basing it on pure talent, maybe. But there's more to succeeding as a professional player than talent. You've got to have the mental side to the game to be able to win tournaments. You've got to be able to be confident in front of a crowd and a television camera. You've got to be able to lose a frame you should've won, and not get angry enough to let it hinder you for the rest of the match. That's what separates the good/talented players and the great players. The mental strength.

Who knows? Maybe Hamilton will do like Bingham did after winning the Australian, and use his confidence to take more titles. But, as it stands now, I put Hamilton quite a long way behind Ebdon and Doherty.

That's why I said "Unfortunately that's only half of it" <cool>

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Could it be that the whole snooker world was more happy for anthony to win his 1st ranker than for wenbo and king? it seemed that way. never saw jimmy and ronnie more happpy for a player to win a tournament than for anthony.

Ronnie is Liang's mate, so I am sure he was happy for him.

You could argue that Hamilton was more unlikely, I guess. If you'd have given me the names Wenbo, King and Hamilton at the start of the season, and asked me which one I thought was most likely to win a ranking event, I'd have said Wenbo. If you pushed me to say who was least likely of the three, I'd probably have said Hamilton.

Postby gallantrabbit

I agree there's much more to winning than talent and learly something has been missing from Hamilton all these years. But he should look back at that last session and think what the hell have I been doing?? Because with the right attitude/help etc he probably could have been up there with Ebdon/Doherty. As Jimmy said he missed one ball all night and if he'd been able to place the white with his hand he'd have put it exactly where he played it. With all the ghosts and demons of many many years that's pretty damn impressive. He was never going to win a match this week, but I think we'll see him playing very good snooker again very soon.