Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby LowKey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
LowKey wrote:Haha.

How often do you play?

I'm going to start playing whenever I can and see what happens
Maybe I'll start a practice log somewhere, can't find anything on here though for something like that. They do practice logs on forums for some other sports.

I play twice per week - three hours each.
It is enough to keep a touch but not improve much.

Your good self?

Very rarely currently, but that is going to change big time!

Postby Ronnie79

TheRocket wrote:While I can understand that some people don't like Ronnie O'Sullivan as a character or person (can look very arrogant, cocky) it's just ridiculous how Selby is permanently being portrayed as some humble modest guy.

The way he tries so hard to be funny and crack a joke when things are going his way but looks stone faced and miserable when he's on the other side. Not a fan of the fist pumping antics either.

The hypocrisy is just laughable.

Best post of the 4,000 and counting on this thread

Postby Ronnie79

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Isn't it a bit silly though that people want a player to win or lose based on their personality. I have been fortunate enough to live through the best era of snooker with some amazing players. If they all had the same style it would be ridiculous. Flair players need great safety players in order to develop their tactics and vice versa.

Good that we can have the debates though. For what it's worth, if Steve Davis played in the current era he would have won 8 or 9 WCs and nobody can argue with that.

I can argue if Davis played in this era he would have won the same World titles as Selby or Higgins max

Postby Ronnie79

LowKey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:While I can understand that some people don't like Ronnie O'Sullivan as a character or person (can look very arrogant, cocky) it's just ridiculous how Selby is permanently being portrayed as some humble modest guy.

The way he tries so hard to be funny and crack a joke when things are going his way but looks stone faced and miserable when he's on the other side. Not a fan of the fist pumping antics either.

The hypocrisy is just laughable.

Sullivan has seriously disrespected the game and the fans in the past. He's shown himself to massively being up his own backside with the 147 antics , prize money moaning.

No one smiles, and loves it, when they are losing . I don't mind seeing players fist pump. I've always enjoyed it. Shows passion and desire to win. If you ever played a sport at a high level you'd understand it.

I don't think any of the players try hard to be funny. They all act themselves.

I just want to say. Ronnie is probably in my top 5 favourites for his play style , but I do think he is a right prat.

Actually you are wrong Ronnie was having a laugh with the crowd at 11-8 down against Ding when he pretended to line up the blue curing the 146 break. Would Selby have done that no way

Postby SnookerFan

It was really good being off for the whole tournament. I could watch whatever matches I wanted, didn't have to miss anything I didn't want.

Not sure that's something I am going to be able to accomplish over 17 days, again. May try next year. Really good tournament, the World Championship, it has to be said.

Postby sas6789

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Ok, I will concede that Ronnie wasn't a has been and Selby is only one of 2 (John Higgins the other) that can beat a full flow Ronnie. Ding for me will be a mental midget till he can be world champ. Which will be never btw.

You missed one out, Hendry.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:Also, while I enjoy watching all types of snooker, I have always had a bee in my bonnet about Selby fans who look down on O'Sullivan fans. It's stomach turningly arrogant.

I've always hated Sullivan fans who hate matchplay Snooker too, but they always get slated so I don't feel a need to get involved. What baffles me is that some Selby and Higgins fans get free reign to say whatever they want because they're 'superior' for liking a certain type of play over attacking snooker. If they pulled their heads out of their baboons shiny behinds they'd see Sullivan was one of the greatest tactical players of all time himself.

This is exatly it Pinks! and something the Snooker hipsters, as you call them, don't seem or don't want to understand.

Mostly Selby and some Higgins fans like you say think they are superior than those who have Ronnie O'Sullivan as their favourite player because the formers play to a style that according to them is pure snooker, and someone cant a true fan of Snooker if they dont like those players.

Listen folks... there are deluded fans everywhere, whether it's Ronnie fans, Selby fans, Higgins fans... what annoys me the most is that, I say once again, mostly Selby fans put Ronnie fans all in the same bag..

Why on Earth cant I have Ronnie O'Sullivan as my favourite player, mainly because of the aggresive style of pplay he plays, and then dont be called a true snooker fan? I enjoy all forms of thee game, whether attacking, defensive, fast, slow, even miss fests can be enjoyable as they add to the tension.

Yet like Punks correctly says, those 2 singular type of fans he mentions get free reign for saying we arent true snooker fans, lol... We can say that about some deluded Ronnie fanboys, but let me assure you deluded Selby fans are also pretty annoying when they keep saying s.hit like that.

And for the record, yes when he puts his mind into it, Ronnie is one of the best tactical players there's ever been mainly because of his excelent and second to none cue ball control.

But once again, a true snooker fan according to some of them cant be a Ronnie O'Sullivan fan, lol... then I also say a true snooker fan cant be as deluded as some of them are.

Postby Wildey

what the buck is all this bullocks andre ronnie fans also think if you like say feral you can't be a snooker fan because he's slow.

what a load of bucking bullocks.

I'm sorry mate but it is fact most of that sort of idiotic bullocks unfortunately for Ronnie and most of his fans come from his hangers on of which there are a lot on this forum.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:what the buck is all this bullocks andre ronnie fans also think if you like say feral you can't be a snooker fan because he's slow.

I'm sorry mate but it is fact most of that sort of idiotic bullocks unfortunately for Ronnie and most of his fans come from his hangers on of which there are a lot on this forum.

Nobody says that. Stop making things up.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:what the buck is all this bullocks andre ronnie fans also think if you like say feral you can't be a snooker fan because he's slow.

your one of the worst.

you give ronnie fans a bad name so andre if you want to have a go at someone this idiot should be near the top of your list

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

your one of the worst.

you give ronnie fans a bad name so andre if you want to have a go at someone this idiot should be near the top of your list

What complete and utter nonsense haha.

Are you actually going to back up what you're saying with something substantial or are you just going to carry on ranting like a lunatic?

Postby Pink Ball

You're correct that Ronnie fans are generally the worst for talking rubbish, but they're always called out, and rightly so. The problem Andre has is that nobody ever calls out (some) Selby and Higgins fans sneer at O'Sullivan and everyone who supports Ronnie. It goes on wholesale and if anything it's encouraged rather than criticised, which is wrong. It's not bullocks.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

your one of the worst.

What complete and utter nonsense haha.

Are you actually going to back up what you're saying with something substantial or are you just going to carry on ranting like a lunatic?

i dont need proof every tournament when Ronnie loses you prove my point brilliantly all by yourself ill just wait for next season and quote you :wave:

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:

You're correct that Ronnie fans are generally the worst for talking rubbish, but they're always called out, and rightly so. The problem Andre has is that nobody ever calls out (some) Selby and Higgins fans sneer at O'Sullivan and everyone who supports Ronnie. It goes on wholesale and if anything it's encouraged rather than criticised, which is wrong. It's not bullocks.

Andre made a very fair point and I could absolutely see where he was coming from.

I mean who here has derided a person as not being a true snooker fan because they happen to have Selby, Higgins or Fergal O'Brien as their favourite player?

I've never seen it. Here or anywhere else for that matter.

And yet I've seen it plenty of times when Ronnie is concerned. His supporters regularly get labeled as casuals, fans who only appreciate a certain type of snooker. Ronnie fan first, snooker fan second or some other such nonsense. Basically, not true fans of snooker, in other words.

From my own point of view, I like fast, attacking snooker. I prefer players who play the way Ronnie does and I make no apologies for that. Of course in the eyes of some that would make me a casual, someone who is not a true snooker fan. Now flip that the other way round and I'd said I prefer the more tactical, grinding snooker with frames regularly lasting half an hour or more instead. Would I have had all those labels thrown at me? Not in a million years.

I mean I've seen many posts on here over the years saying how they enjoy tactical frames that go down to the colours, and how they find big breaks, one-visit snooker boring. Where is the consternation then? Why are these people not lambasted as casuals, not true fans of snooker? It never happens.

It's annoying, but that's just how it is I suppose. Snobbery and double standards exist everywhere.

Postby Cloud Strife

And I agree a lot of Ronnie fans do talk rubbish, myself included.

TBF, you've seen that for many years from Man Utd fans. You see it from Federer and Nadal fans in tennis. I could go on and on.

IMO that type of arrogance is part and parcel of being a supporter of someone who is successful and is the top dog in their field, or has become the top dog. You only have to see some of the stuff written about Selby the last few weeks to see proof of that.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Andre made a very fair point and I could absolutely see where he was coming from.

I mean who here has derided a person as not being a true snooker fan because they happen to have Selby, Higgins or Fergal O'Brien as their favourite player?

And yet I've seen it plenty of times when Ronnie is concerned. His supporters regularly get labeled as casuals, fans who only appreciate a certain type of snooker. Ronnie fan first, snooker fan second or some other such nonsense. Basically, not true fans of snooker, in other words.

From my own point of view, I like fast, attacking snooker. I prefer players who play the way Ronnie does and I make no apologies for that. Of course in the eyes of some that would make me a casual, someone who is not a true snooker fan. Now flip that the other way round and I'd said I prefer the more tactical, grinding snooker with frames regularly lasting half an hour or more instead. Would I have had all those labels thrown at me? Not in a million years.

I mean I've seen many posts on here over the years saying how they enjoy tactical frames that go down to the colours, and how they find big breaks, one-visit snooker boring. Where is the consternation then? Why are these people not lambasted as casuals, not true fans of snooker? It never happens.

It's annoying, but that's just how it is I suppose. Snobbery and double standards exist everywhere.

Post of the century. Don't cow down, because while your opinion isn't popular, that's not to say you're wrong.

I've been saying this for over two years now, and I'm not even a Sullivan fan.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:

This is precisely what I was trying to say and Wild failed or simply didnt want to understand.

He'll probably say Ronnie fans deserve what they get, but this like you say doesnt justify the double standards.

I dont lie, fast free flowing snooker is by far what I most enjoy, but also like the tactical side of the game, which according to them you cant be a true snooker fan because of that, which is just a load of bullocks.

Just wish some of those fans had the balls to admit they are like the others.