Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby Pink Ball

LowKey wrote:I've been watching the crucible religiously for donkeys years and I'm more excited by snooker than ever.

I really enjoy watching Selby play. It's interesting to see such a competitive mind and never say die player. He is a brilliant all round player. His 143 break was magic as were many of the shots he played in the tournament.

Some of the comments about his appearance are beyond strange. If you are watching snooker for eye candy then you have serious mental issue. Selby is an average looking bloke and isn't out of shape like many of them are. Nothing wrong with his smile either despite the abuse above and his haircut is smart enough. Christ, I don't care what they look like. I like women, not men. I watch it for the snooker. If you don't fancy Selby and that's why you don't like him then that's hilarious. He hasn't constantly disrespected the game and fans like O'Sullivan either and I find Selby and his game more entertaining than O'Sullivan's game has ever been.

The real snooker fans will really appreciate a player like Selby. The casuals just like constant potting, idiotic and cockiness and rebellious attitude
Involving disrespecting snooker and complaining about
Prize money and not going for 147s when they are on "coz the prize money ain't enough despite the fact I've made millions from this sport"

To provide some examples:

In cricket casuals will find test matches incredibly boring and six hitting entertaining . Purists will love test cricket and the tactical and mental battle. Plus skill.

Football purists will appreciate a side like Juventus going to the nou camp getting a 0-0 draw with a great defensive display. Casuals will call it negative and boring, casuals want goals goals goals.

In tennis liking a player that's flashy with no all round game is like loving Roddick and finding a player with a wonderful all round game and mental strength like federer boring. Selby has more personality than federer no doubt and Selby is more human in the sense he's easier to relate to for the average person. I always found federer to have practically zero personality but fans loved him because he's a nice guy with a great all round game which is fair enough . I can respect his game and competitive edge for sure (I don't watch tennis never really liked or watched it. Used it as an example)

Selby is only not liked because Ronnie O'Sullivan lost in 2014 to him and in other instances. Pathetic if you ask me. Proper snooker fans shouldn't particularly like Ronnie as he's massively disrespected the game and fans over and over. Selby is a worthy champion and miles clear on
Number one. He's a great competitor and I find him entertaining.

The final was by far the most interesting and entertaining game of the lot. Higgins is a brilliant player, as is Selby. Selby out potted him, but Higgins played better safety. I really enjoyed it. If someone beats Selby next year or In another big event I'll find it entertaining no doubt.. as to beat Selby (apart from best of not many's) means playing very well over a prolonged period and it will be entertaining.

I imagine Ronnie fans slagging of snooker and Selby.: death of snooker etc etc will now go back to supporting Chelsea , having supporting Manchester united no doubt for years when they dominated. All very funny indeed.

I thought it would have been obvious that I was joking about his smile and his hairstyle, but clearly not.

Postby Pink Ball

Also, while I enjoy watching all types of snooker, I have always had a bee in my bonnet about Selby fans who look down on O'Sullivan fans. It's stomach turningly arrogant.

I've always hated Sullivan fans who hate matchplay Snooker too, but they always get slated so I don't feel a need to get involved. What baffles me is that some Selby and Higgins fans get free reign to say whatever they want because they're 'superior' for liking a certain type of play over attacking snooker. If they pulled their heads out of their baboons shiny behinds they'd see Sullivan was one of the greatest tactical players of all time himself.

Postby TheRocket

While I can understand that some people don't like Ronnie O'Sullivan as a character or person (can look very arrogant, cocky) it's just ridiculous how Selby is permanently being portrayed as some humble modest guy.

The way he tries so hard to be funny and crack a joke when things are going his way but looks stone faced and miserable when he's on the other side. Not a fan of the fist pumping antics either.

The hypocrisy is just laughable.

Postby pasunegirafe

OoNebsoO wrote:Anyone else can't wait for the new season? This great tournament just increased my appetite for more snooker. Guess proper length matches could do that to you.

On the other hand, lousy coverage of some tournaments - where I had to watch top players destroying amateurs in first rounds on a small screen with no commentary - and so many being best-of-seven could diminish that.

Yeah, I hate best of 7 matches. It might be a good way to introduce people to snooker and increase the fanbase, but I don't think it's a good way to keep that fanbase interested. The longer matches are just much more interesting, and once you get a taste of that, you only want more of it.

Postby RJFindlay

RJFindlay wrote:In 10 or 15 years time, I doubt people will say, oh I wish we had another Selby, Hendry or Davis.

But people sure will wish for another magical O'Sullivan.

The chances of humanity producing another slow, reliable and solid player is much higher than producing another hand alternating, unpredictable, lightning fast, divine O'Sullivan.

That's why he's the GOAT.

I would also like to add that he once retired and returned to successfully defend his world title. He should have won the BBC sports personality that year.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Isn't it a bit silly though that people want a player to win or lose based on their personality. I have been fortunate enough to live through the best era of snooker with some amazing players. If they all had the same style it would be ridiculous. Flair players need great safety players in order to develop their tactics and vice versa.

Good that we can have the debates though. For what it's worth, if Steve Davis played in the current era he would have won 8 or 9 WCs and nobody can argue with that.

Postby SnookerFan

RJFindlay wrote:
RJFindlay wrote:In 10 or 15 years time, I doubt people will say, oh I wish we had another Selby, Hendry or Davis.

The chances of humanity producing another slow, reliable and solid player is much higher than producing another hand alternating, unpredictable, lightning fast, divine O'Sullivan.

I would also like to add that he once retired and returned to successfully defend his world title. He should have won the BBC sports personality that year.

Sports Personality Of The Year is such a nonsense, I'm surprised anybody cares about it.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:While I can understand that some people don't like Ronnie O'Sullivan as a character or person (can look very arrogant, cocky) it's just ridiculous how Selby is permanently being portrayed as some humble modest guy.

The way he tries so hard to be funny and crack a joke when things are going his way but looks stone faced and miserable when he's on the other side. Not a fan of the fist pumping antics either.

The hypocrisy is just laughable.

Yeah, have to admit his attitude soured me on him a little bit this week. I'd never noticed his "laughing when it suits me" before then.

Postby Cloud Strife

GJ wrote:Best of 7's are awful that's why I mainly just watch the majors were its minimum best of 11.

Remember that best of 5 nonsense Hearn introduced when he first took over?

I remember a lot us were getting scared thinking this was the way snooker was heading under Hearn with ever shorter formats being brought in.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
RJFindlay wrote:

Sports Personality Of The Year is such a nonsense, I'm surprised anybody cares about it.

When Andy Murray wins it, you know personality has buck all to do with it. They should just rename it Sportsperson of the Year.

Postby GJ

Cloud Strife wrote:
GJ wrote:Best of 7's are awful that's why I mainly just watch the majors were its minimum best of 11.

I remember a lot us were getting scared thinking this was the way snooker was heading under Hearn with ever shorter formats being brought in.

Hate the way the UK Champs have been devalued.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:

That was the worst tournament ever.

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Hate the way the UK Champs have been devalued.

Don't we all?

Postby TheRocket

GJ wrote:By the time we have UK in nov/dec

It will be 6 years since Trump won a big 3 event.

WOW

Waste of talent. He should be in his prime now, winning major after major. But not just Trump. The likes of Ding, Robertson as well. They all need to raise their game.

40+ year old Ronnie and Higgins are on the decline. And the likes of Bingham,Fu;Hawkins, Murphy. They'll never be good enough to challenge for the big majors on a regular basis. Too one dimensional, too inconsistent, weak B-game and and...

So its really up to Trump,Ding and Robertson to beat Selby in the majors on a regular basis.

Postby GJ

I think at times Judd is his own worst enemy.

Pre worlds he was boasting im fav and I can use that to my advantage , why do that to yourself.