Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final:Mark Selby v John Higgi

Postby The Herminator

SnookerFan wrote:
The Herminator wrote:If i was to ask people in my office who Mark Selby is. I'd be surprised if more than 3 out of 25 would know who he is (bearing in mind there are quite a few women!) If it was Ronnie it would probably be around half I reckon. Not sure if thats a problem with Selby or snooker. Or even if its a problem at all. Its certainly not a problem for Selby. He's quite happy.

Yes, because no women watch snooker. :|

Sigh. I think it's ok to suggest that men generally have more interest in watching sport than women without being a raging misogynist. I just wanted to give context to the point I was making. The point you ignored.

Postby SnookerFan

The Herminator wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
The Herminator wrote:If i was to ask people in my office who Mark Selby is. I'd be surprised if more than 3 out of 25 would know who he is (bearing in mind there are quite a few women!) If it was Ronnie it would probably be around half I reckon. Not sure if thats a problem with Selby or snooker. Or even if its a problem at all. Its certainly not a problem for Selby. He's quite happy.

Yes, because no women watch snooker. :|

Sigh. I think it's ok to suggest that men generally have more interest in watching sport than women without being a raging misogynist. I just wanted to give context to the point I was making. The point you ignored.

Just joshing with you. <ok>

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:Alex

Do you see Dott winning a few more rankers ?

GJ,

Do you think Dennis hit the golf course?

He tweeted earlier he played 9

Postby Vallomas

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
GJ wrote:By the time we have UK in nov/dec

It will be 6 years since Trump won a big 3 event.

WOW

That's both incredible and totally believable.

I predicted Trump would never be WC in 2010.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1756

<ok>

Interesting thread, as we see a few predicting that Selby will never win it and seven year later he has three under his belt.

Anyway, it's impossible to read all the comments, but overall it was a good final and a tournament with a lot memorable moments, much more than the previous one. The classic Selby v Ding match, the entertaining Fu v Robertson, the Higgns v Allen quality battle, the easy ROS win over Murphy. And of course Ding's win over Ronnie, Selby thrashing Fu with that unbelievable 143, Higgins make it look easy to progress through another final at his 40s. Even some 1st round moments (Carrington's three consecutive tons against Liang, Fu's comeback against Brecel, Xiao excellent 2nd session against Day) were a pleasure to watch and will be remembered.

As a conclusion, Selby's performance was phenomenal (except for the first day of the final) and he fully desrved the trophy. He played much-much better than 2016 and 2014 and if you look back at his triumphs on UK, International and China Open he is in full command of snooker today.

Postby The Herminator

GJ wrote:I think at times Judd is his own worst enemy.

Pre worlds he was boasting im fav and I can use that to my advantage , why do that to yourself.

I agree. He's got everything he needs to win big tournaments. Just needs to mentally mature a bit.

Postby PoolBoy

RJFindlay wrote:In 10 or 15 years time, I doubt people will say, oh I wish we had another Selby, Hendry or Davis.

But people sure will wish for another magical O'Sullivan.

The chances of humanity producing another slow, reliable and solid player is much higher than producing another hand alternating, unpredictable, lightning fast, divine O'Sullivan.

That's why he's the GOAT.

He absolutely is NOT that! - he admits it himself!

Postby vodkadiet

Selby has no doubt moved in to new terrority with this win. However, I still don't see him winning more than one more world title unless he cuts his schedule down. I believe his game will take a lot out of him.

The one advantage he has is the ability to cope with pressure better than anyone else at present. But that may not last forever. Failing a collapse of sorts in his form he will be a clear favourite for next year's event and he has never had that before. He was joint favourite this year, but next year it will be different.

And it isn't as though he has exactly been waltzing to his world titles. The 3 world titles he has won have involve very close matches in both the semis and the finals. He isn't that much better than the field, and it wouldn't take much for one of these opponents to turn things around beat him. And then it will be how he reacts to a big loss.

Fair play to him though. He has been one of the very few players who showed that O'Sullivan playing very well was still beatable. Now other players must show that Selby playing very well is still beatable.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:Selby has no doubt moved in to new terrority with this win. However, I still don't see him winning more than one more world title unless he cuts his schedule down. I believe his game will take a lot out of him.

The one advantage he has is the ability to cope with pressure better than anyone else at present. But that may not last forever. Failing a collapse of sorts in his form he will be a clear favourite for next year's event and he has never had that before. He was joint favourite this year, but next year it will be different.

And it isn't as though he has exactly been waltzing to his world titles. The 3 world titles he has won have involve very close matches in both the semis and the finals. He isn't that much better than the field, and it wouldn't take much for one of these opponents to turn things around beat him. And then it will be how he reacts to a big loss.

Fair play to him though. He has been one of the very few players who showed that O'Sullivan playing very well was still beatable. Now other players must show that Selby playing very well is still beatable.

Excellent post

Postby vodkadiet

And yes, I agree with the poster who stated the other day that Barry Hawkins shouldn't be allowed near the one table set up ever again.

BARRY HAWKINS IS NOTHING BUT A 'TWO TABLE BULLY'!!

Postby LowKey

Pink Ball wrote:
LowKey wrote:I've been watching the crucible religiously for donkeys years and I'm more excited by snooker than ever.

I really enjoy watching Selby play. It's interesting to see such a competitive mind and never say die player. He is a brilliant all round player. His 143 break was magic as were many of the shots he played in the tournament.

Some of the comments about his appearance are beyond strange. If you are watching snooker for eye candy then you have serious mental issue. Selby is an average looking bloke and isn't out of shape like many of them are. Nothing wrong with his smile either despite the abuse above and his haircut is smart enough. Christ, I don't care what they look like. I like women, not men. I watch it for the snooker. If you don't fancy Selby and that's why you don't like him then that's hilarious. He hasn't constantly disrespected the game and fans like O'Sullivan either and I find Selby and his game more entertaining than O'Sullivan's game has ever been.

The real snooker fans will really appreciate a player like Selby. The casuals just like constant potting, idiotic and cockiness and rebellious attitude
Involving disrespecting snooker and complaining about
Prize money and not going for 147s when they are on "coz the prize money ain't enough despite the fact I've made millions from this sport"

To provide some examples:

In cricket casuals will find test matches incredibly boring and six hitting entertaining . Purists will love test cricket and the tactical and mental battle. Plus skill.

Football purists will appreciate a side like Juventus going to the nou camp getting a 0-0 draw with a great defensive display. Casuals will call it negative and boring, casuals want goals goals goals.

In tennis liking a player that's flashy with no all round game is like loving Roddick and finding a player with a wonderful all round game and mental strength like federer boring. Selby has more personality than federer no doubt and Selby is more human in the sense he's easier to relate to for the average person. I always found federer to have practically zero personality but fans loved him because he's a nice guy with a great all round game which is fair enough . I can respect his game and competitive edge for sure (I don't watch tennis never really liked or watched it. Used it as an example)

Selby is only not liked because Ronnie O'Sullivan lost in 2014 to him and in other instances. Pathetic if you ask me. Proper snooker fans shouldn't particularly like Ronnie as he's massively disrespected the game and fans over and over. Selby is a worthy champion and miles clear on
Number one. He's a great competitor and I find him entertaining.

The final was by far the most interesting and entertaining game of the lot. Higgins is a brilliant player, as is Selby. Selby out potted him, but Higgins played better safety. I really enjoyed it. If someone beats Selby next year or In another big event I'll find it entertaining no doubt.. as to beat Selby (apart from best of not many's) means playing very well over a prolonged period and it will be entertaining.

I imagine Ronnie fans slagging of snooker and Selby.: death of snooker etc etc will now go back to supporting Chelsea , having supporting Manchester united no doubt for years when they dominated. All very funny indeed.

I thought it would have been obvious that I was joking about his smile and his hairstyle, but clearly not.

Seriously I thought it was serious. Sarcasm is difficult over the internet. Any idiot can post on the internet so I thought it was serious.

Honestly I was trying to spark some
Posting too considering I heard a record mentioned page wise haha

Postby Pink Ball

LowKey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
LowKey wrote:I've been watching the crucible religiously for donkeys years and I'm more excited by snooker than ever.

I really enjoy watching Selby play. It's interesting to see such a competitive mind and never say die player. He is a brilliant all round player. His 143 break was magic as were many of the shots he played in the tournament.

Some of the comments about his appearance are beyond strange. If you are watching snooker for eye candy then you have serious mental issue. Selby is an average looking bloke and isn't out of shape like many of them are. Nothing wrong with his smile either despite the abuse above and his haircut is smart enough. Christ, I don't care what they look like. I like women, not men. I watch it for the snooker. If you don't fancy Selby and that's why you don't like him then that's hilarious. He hasn't constantly disrespected the game and fans like O'Sullivan either and I find Selby and his game more entertaining than O'Sullivan's game has ever been.

The real snooker fans will really appreciate a player like Selby. The casuals just like constant potting, idiotic and cockiness and rebellious attitude
Involving disrespecting snooker and complaining about
Prize money and not going for 147s when they are on "coz the prize money ain't enough despite the fact I've made millions from this sport"

To provide some examples:

In cricket casuals will find test matches incredibly boring and six hitting entertaining . Purists will love test cricket and the tactical and mental battle. Plus skill.

Football purists will appreciate a side like Juventus going to the nou camp getting a 0-0 draw with a great defensive display. Casuals will call it negative and boring, casuals want goals goals goals.

In tennis liking a player that's flashy with no all round game is like loving Roddick and finding a player with a wonderful all round game and mental strength like federer boring. Selby has more personality than federer no doubt and Selby is more human in the sense he's easier to relate to for the average person. I always found federer to have practically zero personality but fans loved him because he's a nice guy with a great all round game which is fair enough . I can respect his game and competitive edge for sure (I don't watch tennis never really liked or watched it. Used it as an example)

Selby is only not liked because Ronnie O'Sullivan lost in 2014 to him and in other instances. Pathetic if you ask me. Proper snooker fans shouldn't particularly like Ronnie as he's massively disrespected the game and fans over and over. Selby is a worthy champion and miles clear on
Number one. He's a great competitor and I find him entertaining.

The final was by far the most interesting and entertaining game of the lot. Higgins is a brilliant player, as is Selby. Selby out potted him, but Higgins played better safety. I really enjoyed it. If someone beats Selby next year or In another big event I'll find it entertaining no doubt.. as to beat Selby (apart from best of not many's) means playing very well over a prolonged period and it will be entertaining.

I imagine Ronnie fans slagging of snooker and Selby.: death of snooker etc etc will now go back to supporting Chelsea , having supporting Manchester united no doubt for years when they dominated. All very funny indeed.

I thought it would have been obvious that I was joking about his smile and his hairstyle, but clearly not.

Seriously I thought it was serious. Sarcasm is difficult over the internet. Any idiot can post on the internet so I thought it was serious.

Honestly I was trying to spark some
Posting too considering I heard a record mentioned page wise haha

Hahaha you're new, so it's forgiveable. And I am an idiot, regardless.

Postby LowKey

TheRocket wrote:While I can understand that some people don't like Ronnie O'Sullivan as a character or person (can look very arrogant, cocky) it's just ridiculous how Selby is permanently being portrayed as some humble modest guy.

The way he tries so hard to be funny and crack a joke when things are going his way but looks stone faced and miserable when he's on the other side. Not a fan of the fist pumping antics either.

The hypocrisy is just laughable.

Sullivan has seriously disrespected the game and the fans in the past. He's shown himself to massively being up his own backside with the 147 antics , prize money moaning.

No one smiles, and loves it, when they are losing . I don't mind seeing players fist pump. I've always enjoyed it. Shows passion and desire to win. If you ever played a sport at a high level you'd understand it.

I don't think any of the players try hard to be funny. They all act themselves.

I just want to say. Ronnie is probably in my top 5 favourites for his play style , but I do think he is a right prat.
Last edited by LowKey on 02 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby LowKey

pasunegirafe wrote:
OoNebsoO wrote:Anyone else can't wait for the new season? This great tournament just increased my appetite for more snooker. Guess proper length matches could do that to you.

On the other hand, lousy coverage of some tournaments - where I had to watch top players destroying amateurs in first rounds on a small screen with no commentary - and so many being best-of-seven could diminish that.

Yeah, I hate best of 7 matches. It might be a good way to introduce people to snooker and increase the fanbase, but I don't think it's a good way to keep that fanbase interested. The longer matches are just much more interesting, and once you get a taste of that, you only want more of it.

I agree. I love the world's because of the format. It may be best kept to having it just for the world's though. Or it might spoil it if we get too much of a very good thing.

Postby LowKey

I want to start practicing and see how good I can get, but have a problem With my shoulder and elbow. I've had a few 50+ breaks before with barely any practice. I didn't play for a year at one point and managed a 20+ break right off the bat.

Perhaps I need to try to teach myself to play left handed so I can practice a lot. The game is hard enough as It is though without starting at a disadvantage haha.

How many of you play? Are any of you really good?
Last edited by LowKey on 02 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

LowKey wrote:I want to start practicing and see how good I can get, but have a problem With my shoulder and elbow. I've had a few 50+ breaks before with barely any practice. I didn't play for a year at one point and managed a 20+ break right off the bat.

Perhaps I need to try to teach myself to play left handed so I can practice a lot. The game is hard enough as It is though without starting at a disadvantage haha.

That's pretty impressive Lowkey! :hatoff:

Postby LowKey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
LowKey wrote:I want to start practicing and see how good I can get, but have a problem With my shoulder and elbow. I've had a few 50+ breaks before with barely any practice. I didn't play for a year at one point and managed a 20+ break right off the bat.

Do you play?

Postby vodkadiet

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I miss the snooker.

I am campaigning for The Green Party tomorrow.

I had Greenpeace round the other day. Are they linked organisations?

Not exactly. Greenpeace are anti war, so are The Green Party. But The Green Party have a lot more policies besides. The environment is at the centre of The Green Party's manifesto.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

LowKey wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Do you play?

Avidly but fairly poorly

Postby Badsnookerplayer

vodkadiet wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Not exactly. Greenpeace are anti war, so are The Green Party. But The Green Party have a lot more policies besides. The environment is at the centre of The Green Party's manifesto.

Ta -good luck tomorrow

Postby vodkadiet

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Ta -good luck tomorrow

Cheers!

Postby RJFindlay

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Do you play?

Avidly but fairly poorly

You forgot to mention that you're "fast, full of flair and produce exciting snooker." (page 103)

Postby Badsnookerplayer

RJFindlay wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Do you play?

Avidly but fairly poorly

You forgot to mention that you're "fast, full of flair and produce exciting snooker." (page 103)

:emb:

Postby LowKey

Haha.

How often do you play?

I'm going to start playing whenever I can and see what happens
Maybe I'll start a practice log somewhere, can't find anything on here though for something like that. They do practice logs on forums for some other sports.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

LowKey wrote:Haha.

How often do you play?

I'm going to start playing whenever I can and see what happens
Maybe I'll start a practice log somewhere, can't find anything on here though for something like that. They do practice logs on forums for some other sports.

I play twice per week - three hours each.
It is enough to keep a touch but not improve much.

Your good self?