Group 1 2nd and 3rd of January
Group 2 4th and 5th of January
Group 3 9th and 10th of January
Group 4 11th and 12th of January
Group 5 20th and 21st of February
Group 6 22nd and 23rd of February
Group 7 27th and 28th of February
Winners Group 1st and 2nd of March

In 2016 Judd Trump won the title for the 2nd time beating Ronnie O'Sullivan 3-2 in the final.

This year Ronnie O'Sullivan has not entered and Judd Trump joining in group 5 in February.

Who will get off to a flyer after the New Year celebrations?

Group 1 Players
Anthony McGill
David Gilbert
Ryan Day
Matthew Selt
Ben Woollaston
Mark Davis
Robert Milkins

DRAW and GROUP TABLE

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Championship league Snooker 2017 !!!!!!

Postby snookerguy

Honestly cannot believe this event still runs, it made sense a few years ago when we had no events whatsoever but now it's just a waste of space.

Postby SnookerFan

I wonder how the players see it?

As you say, a few years ago there was at least some point to it. (In that, there were bugger all tournaments to play in. So this was, at least, better than nothing.)

It's paid practice and all that, but you wonder with so many tournaments these days, if it's something that the players even want? No crowd, not televised properly. It just all feels so pointless in a day and age where there's a tournament almost every week.

And let's not forget, it's an intrinsically unfair tournament, in that there are financial benefits to losing.

Postby Wildey

This was a poor idea originally now its just ridiculous but it comes from the same idiot that decided the Shoot out should carry Ranking points <doh> :mood:

Postby thecueview

Hi everyone.

This is a very odd tournament, and I agree the structure needs to be looked at as you can be rewarded fro losing. Maybe 3 strikes and you're out rule?

However, I guess it's supply and demand. The players involved can earn some decent money for a few days work. A few of the players (like Ronnie last year) will use this as match practice for the upcoming Masters.

I think only Ronnie, Junhui and Marco haven't entered this time around, so it appears the top players are still keen on it (and being a home based event). It does also offer a CofC place of course.

My preview is below, I think World Snooker may be contracted or obliged to host this with their ongoing partnerships with online bookmakers.

http://www.thecueview.com/2017-champion ... eview.html

Postby Wildey

that opens up another question?

why would online bookimakers want to be associated with a tournament that rewards losing

if a player wants match practice before the masters once they reach the knockout they will gain more by losing until CL 4

Postby Gridlock

I liked it simply because it was at Crondon Park. When I come to the UK I want to go there. Love the wood beams. In fact me and the missus might renew our sacred vows there.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:that opens up another question?

why would online bookimakers want to be associated with a tournament that rewards losing

if a player wants match practice before the masters once they reach the knockout they will gain more by losing until CL 4

More than that.

Don't they get paid by the amount of groups they enter? So for example, somebody who wins the group and qualifies on their first attempt, gets paid less than somebody who doesn't and comes back to try again?

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:that opens up another question?

More than that.

Don't they get paid by the amount of groups they enter? So for example, somebody who wins the group and qualifies on their first attempt, gets paid less than somebody who doesn't and comes back to try again?

Yeah, the prize money distribution certainly rewards losing.

Last season it was a Ronnie v Trump final, yet Mark Williams walked away with the most money.
And, Selby was runner-up in the prize money table, although he failed to even reach the semi-finals. :td:

Postby PLtheRef

Interesting to see that the tournament has returned even though there doesn't seem to be as much of a call or need for it anymore. As others have said it's served its purpose over the years. Players won't lose sleep over going out of the Championship League early - it's one less commitment and given the line up for the opening group on Monday you see more and more players deferring their entry until later into the event.

Why it's still running after its seemingly well beyond its sell by date may have something to do with possibly being an event designed to lose money in a similar way that the World Open started as the Professional Players Tournament deliberately unsponsored and untelevised.

Postby TheSaviour

SnookerFan wrote:It's an inherently unfair system. And though I'm not suggesting that any player would deliberately match-fix, if they wanted to the opportunity is there.

Surely they COULD.. SO FAR there just isn´t any EVIDENCE that it would the case.
Surely during the right circumstances they COULD..

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:
Surely they COULD.. SO FAR there just isn´t any EVIDENCE that it would the case.
Surely during the right circumstances they COULD..

That's kind of what I said, but okay.

Postby Dan-cat

Gridlock wrote:I liked it simply because it was at Crondon Park. When I come to the UK I want to go there. Love the wood beams. In fact me and the missus might renew our sacred vows there.

Ace one Griddy! can we come?

Hope you had a great holidays :) I'm still in Spain at my mum's place in the mountains.

Postby SnookerFan

Let's do it. Let's have instigate an annual visit to Crondon Park. If we promise not to interfere with Gridlock's Wedding Vows, it could be good banter. Meet some of the snooker players, try the breakfasts that Dave Hendon keeps raving about on Twitter.

Will there be a bar area, in case Dan-Cat wants a drink?

Postby Wildey

Looks like Crondon Park has run out of bacon and sausages according to live score page Richo Arena Coventry will be the venue this season

Postby Gridlock

Wildey wrote:Looks like Crondon Park has run out of bacon and sausages according to live score page Richo Arena Coventry will be the venue this season

Hence my saying that I enjoyed watching it from Crondon Park. Isn't Ricoh where CoC is played?

Postby Wildey

Gridlock wrote:
Wildey wrote:Looks like Crondon Park has run out of bacon and sausages according to live score page Richo Arena Coventry will be the venue this season

Hence my saying that I enjoyed watching it from Crondon Park. Isn't Ricoh where CoC is played?

well a massive CoC will be played there now

Postby SnookerFan

Just saw Dave Hendon bellyaching about that on Twitter.

They selling tickets to this, or is it still a no crowd / no problem attitude?

Postby Gridlock

Been having some Laphroaig and watching Ants McPants pulling out some good frames. Really miss Crondon Park though.

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image

Group 2 4th and 5th of January
Group 3 9th and 10th of January
Group 4 11th and 12th of January
Group 5 20th and 21st of February
Group 6 22nd and 23rd of February
Group 7 27th and 28th of February
Winners Group 1st and 2nd of March

Group 2 Players
Ryan Day
Anthony McGill