Post a reply

Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Thursday 23rd ~ Sunday 26th of February at the Watford Colosseum

The Snooker Shootout carries Ranking points this year (Very wrongly i might add) but it cant and should not be refered to as a Ranking Tournament because its not a snooker tournament to start off.

However its played so to the format 10 minute shot clock and who ever is leading when the clock stops wins the match.

Robin Hull will defend the title with a lot of top players missing 7 of the top 16 will not be there including world Champion Mark Selby and Masters Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Who will win?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:Rubbish tournament, even before Barry Hearn's spasticated decision.

Won't be watching, bring on Gibraltar.

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Rubbish tournament, even before Barry Hearn's spasticated decision.

Won't be watching, bring on Gibraltar.

I hadn't had a shave when that photo was taken.

Postby TheSaviour

Interesting! I thought I would save my best parts until it is a Sheffield-time. But I can´t wait that long. What I meant to wrote is that all the top players should be participating in here. You never know what happens. At least then they could say might as well go out on a high. If having a good success.

If this isn´t downshifting then I don´t know what would be. Hahaa some funny thinking.. No. Some VERY funny thinking....

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:Image Image Image
Thursday 23rd ~ Sunday 26th of February at the Watford Colosseum

The Snooker Shootout carries Ranking points this year (Very wrongly i might add) but it cant and should not be refered to as a Ranking Tournament because its not a snooker tournament to start off.

However its played so to the format 10 minute shot clock and who ever is leading when the clock stops wins the match.

Robin Hull will defend the title with a lot of top players missing 7 of the top 16 will not be there including world Champion Mark Selby and Masters Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Who will win?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Just to play devil's advocate - doesn't the shootout have more right to be a ranking event than an event like the World Grand Prix or Players Championship I.e. double reward rankers

Postby Wildey

No it doesent

Snooker is played on a Billiard table but just because its played on a Billiard table doesent make it Billiards.

you cant invent another sport on a Billiard table and say its a Snooker ranking event for buck sakes.

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:Personally, I don't think either Shootout or Grand Prix should be ranking.

Why don't you like the grand prix being a ranking event?

Postby SnookerFan

As above. I think it's double rewards. It's offering additional ranking points for 32 form players, and not others.

But just my personal opinion.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:As above. I think it's double rewards. It's offering additional ranking points for 32 form players, and not others.

i do agree with that but at the end of the day that event is snooker this event is a cue sport of sorts

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:As above. I think it's double rewards. It's offering additional ranking points for 32 form players, and not others.

i do agree with that but at the end of the day that event is snooker this event is a cue sport of sorts

It's not really a new cuesport though is it - the table's the same, scoring system's the same - the only thing that's different is that there's a couple of variations on the rules and that a clock is ticking down throughout the course of the frame.

Like I said, I'm really being devils advocate. I don't think that it's right that it's a ranking event - 10 minutes is too random. - The spirit of the event is that it's supposed to be more relaxed, more informal hence the crowd participation. With ranking points at stake, are we going to see the same spirit of the event - or are players going to be less receptive to comments however well intended they may be.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:

Oh yeah. It's not as bad as the rubbish Out.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 12 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PLtheRef

My point. It only widens the gap between the higher ranked players.

I think the Players Championship is the same - only with 16 players.

Anything not open to the full tour shouldn't be a ranking event (although people might claim that all 128 could earn the money to qualify for these events)

Postby Cloud Strife

PLtheRef wrote:

Anything not open to the full tour shouldn't be a ranking event (although people might claim that all 128 could earn the money to qualify for these events)

How is it not open to the whole tour though? Is there something barring a player from qualifying for this?

Postby PLtheRef

Cloud Strife wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

How is it not open to the whole tour though? Is there something barring a player from qualifying for this?

The Grand Prix? Granted like I said anyone on tour could earn the ranking money to qualify but the entry is restricted to the top 32 invited players giving them a chance to further enhance their rankings on top of their success in reaching the event in the first place.

Postby Cloud Strife

PLtheRef wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

The Grand Prix? Granted like I said anyone on tour could earn the ranking money to qualify but the entry is restricted to the top 32 invited players giving them a chance to further enhance their rankings on top of their success in reaching the event in the first place.

Playing devils advocate, you could say the same thing about a tournament like the World Championship. Players who win matches in the qualifiers get ranking points and then they get another opportunity to win more ranking points in the main tournament itself. Is that not double rewarding players?

And BTW for this event it's not top 32 invited, its top 32 that qualified.

Postby PLtheRef

Cloud Strife wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

Playing devils advocate, you could say the same thing about a tournament like the World Championship. Players who win matches in the qualifiers get ranking points and then they get another opportunity to win more ranking points in the main tournament itself. Is that not double rewarding players?

And BTW for this event it's not top 32 invited, its top 32 that qualified.

Yes they qualify for eligibility to receive an invitation ;) (sorry, couldn't resist that)

The worlds are different, there are no double rewards as it's the same event - you don't win a prize for winning the final qualifying round and then win a second prize dependent on where you go out at the Crucible. Plus for players who are seeded through to the venue only earn a ranking point if they win their first match.

Postby Cloud Strife

PLtheRef wrote:Yes they qualify for eligibility to receive an invitation ;) (sorry, couldn't resist that)

The worlds are different, there are no double rewards as it's the same event - you don't win a prize for winning the final qualifying round and then win a second prize dependent on where you go out at the Crucible. Plus for players who are seeded through to the venue only earn a ranking point if they win their first match.

Playing devil's advocate again ( :redneck: ), the same point can be made about the WC whereby those in qualifiers are playing for the eligibility of being invited to the main event. And those in the top 16 have earned their invitations through their rankings.

I see your point about double rewards, but that was always going to be the case in a tournament like this where the qualification criteria is based on a race over a number of events rather than qualifying rounds.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:
Wildey wrote:

It's not really a new cuesport though is it - the table's the same, scoring system's the same - the only thing that's different is that there's a couple of variations on the rules and that a clock is ticking down throughout the course of the frame.

Like I said, I'm really being devils advocate. I don't think that it's right that it's a ranking event - 10 minutes is too random. - The spirit of the event is that it's supposed to be more relaxed, more informal hence the crowd participation. With ranking points at stake, are we going to see the same spirit of the event - or are players going to be less receptive to comments however well intended they may be.

as far as im concerned its the difference between Tennis and Table Tennis

Postby Andy Spark

World Snooker refer to it as a "ranking tournament"; therefore it is! I would tentatively suggest that the issue here is the reverence that people have for the status of rank and ranking events. For me the status of events is about prize money, strength of opposition, length of history and number of frames the matches are played over. It doesn't matter what the authorities actually call an event.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:World Snooker refer to it as a "ranking tournament"; therefore it is! I would tentatively suggest that the issue here is the reverence that people have for the status of rank and ranking events. For me the status of events is about prize money, strength of opposition, length of history and number of frames the matches are played over. It doesn't matter what the authorities actually call an event.

It's a ranking event if it affects a players rank, that's what a ranking event is.

It shouldn't be one, as it isn't snooker. Might as well make the 3 Cushion Billiards worlds a ranker.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Best tweet I've seen about this.

E JONES
‏@wildey_1

Shoot out this bucking aboput twiddling each other off on a snooker table that.....never been closer to deleting bucking twitter and facebook

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Best tweet I've seen about this.

E JONES
‏@wildey_1

Shoot out this bucking aboput twiddling each other off on a snooker table that.....never been closer to deleting bucking twitter and facebook

What does aboput mean?

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Barry Hearn
Still some sad people moaning about Shoot out. Get a life - it's ONE event , it's fun and it gives players an extra chance to earn some cash

<doh>

What a knobhead. Not only did he tweet; "Mission accomplished. More controversy please !" in May when the decision was announced, meaning the moaning was exactly what he wanted.

He also shows that he hasn't grasped the idea that the complaints about the Shoot Out have got nothing to do with how entertaining the tournament is. It isn't snooker, so isn't fair to have ranking points.

Postby Andre147

Shoot-Out is fun for me, and especially an unique opportunity for the lower ranked players, but ranking event: NEVER!

Jill Douglas didn't remember where the World Grand Prix was staged rofl

Shows how important that was :|