Post a reply

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Coland wrote:Looking forward to seeing Zhao Xintong tonight. He could be the best Chinese player since Liu Song.


You enjoying the shootout?

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Andre147

lol how Jimmy won that match I'll never know...

If the chinese had 2 or 3 sec more he would have potted the red and would have been at least a tie...

Jimmy was also so careless with the rest foul.

He's through and that's the main thing from his perspective.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Vallomas

Well, that Jimmy vs Chen match was a thriller. Jimmy won 45-44 after giving ball in hand to Zhe, but the time ran out!

Two wins mean 1,000 pounds for Jimmy, that are valuable for his effort to save his tour place, through the 1-year ranking list.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Vallomas wrote:Well, that Jimmy vs Chen match was a thriller. Jimmy won 45-44 after giving ball in hand to Zhe, but the time ran out!


:|

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Cloud Strife

Vallomas wrote:Well, that Jimmy vs Chen match was a thriller. Jimmy won 45-44 after giving ball in hand to Zhe, but the time ran out!

Two wins mean 1,000 pounds for Jimmy, that are valuable for his effort to save his tour place, through the 1-year ranking list.


The dream is still alive! :D

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby snooker_loopy

This is the crummiest most amateurish pro-tournament I've ever seen. Jimmy White won his game by one point only cos of the time. He missed the red and the Chinese guy - who looked like he couldn't pot a red into a bucket let alone a pocket - didn't have time to make two extra points!

This is the Donald Trump of snooker events. Embarrassing. :chuckle:

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:World Snooker refer to it as a "ranking tournament"; therefore it is! I would tentatively suggest that the issue here is the reverence that people have for the status of rank and ranking events. For me the status of events is about prize money, strength of opposition, length of history and number of frames the matches are played over. It doesn't matter what the authorities actually call an event.


It's a ranking event if it affects a players rank, that's what a ranking event is.

It shouldn't be one, as it isn't snooker. Might as well make the 3 Cushion Billiards worlds a ranker.

To be slightly slightly pedantic it isn't strictly true that the test of a ranking event is simply if it effects a player's rank, because if that were so then the "minor" ranking events played previously would have full ranking event status, which they haven't been given. You may argue that a "minor" ranking event is still a ranking event, but as these are not counted in player's statistics regarding "ranking event" victories then it would seem that there exists a categorical distinction beyond the mere nominative major/minor one.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby SnookerFan

snooker_loopy wrote:This is the crummiest most amateurish pro-tournament I've ever seen. Jimmy White won his game by one point only cos of the time. He missed the red and the Chinese guy - who looked like he couldn't pot a red into a bucket let alone a pocket - didn't have time to make two extra points!

This is the Donald Trump of snooker events. Embarrassing. :chuckle:



Barry Hearn wishes you'd get a life. :wave:

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby snooker_loopy

The problem is the format makes the players look a bit rubbish. The positional play is much poorer when you have 15/10 second per shot. Also, 10 min frames doesn't lend itself to big breaks. It's mostly hit/miss... hit/miss. I can't imagine there will be many 100 breaks in this tournament!

I think this is the only tournament when an average non-pro could have a chance to beat a top 128 player. The scoring is so low if you're a 40/50 break non-pro snooker player I reckon you could have a chance! :-D

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby hamxa

Vallomas wrote:This guy, Hamza Akbar, is so unlucky with his draws.

This tournament could have been a chance for him to get some money, but he had to face the highest ranked player....


He won!!

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:World Snooker refer to it as a "ranking tournament"; therefore it is! I would tentatively suggest that the issue here is the reverence that people have for the status of rank and ranking events. For me the status of events is about prize money, strength of opposition, length of history and number of frames the matches are played over. It doesn't matter what the authorities actually call an event.


It's a ranking event if it affects a players rank, that's what a ranking event is.

It shouldn't be one, as it isn't snooker. Might as well make the 3 Cushion Billiards worlds a ranker.

To be slightly slightly pedantic it isn't strictly true that the test of a ranking event is simply if it effects a player's rank, because if that were so then the "minor" ranking events played previously would have full ranking event status, which they haven't been given. You may argue that a "minor" ranking event is still a ranking event, but as these are not counted in player's statistics regarding "ranking event" victories then it would seem that there exists a categorical distinction beyond the mere nominative major/minor one.

if this event counts as a Ranking event then all the previous PTC should be upgraded too.

its ridiculous that a tournament that has zero to do with Snooker apart from the fact irs played on the same table is counted and PTC events that was hard graft isnt.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:World Snooker refer to it as a "ranking tournament"; therefore it is! I would tentatively suggest that the issue here is the reverence that people have for the status of rank and ranking events. For me the status of events is about prize money, strength of opposition, length of history and number of frames the matches are played over. It doesn't matter what the authorities actually call an event.


It's a ranking event if it affects a players rank, that's what a ranking event is.

It shouldn't be one, as it isn't snooker. Might as well make the 3 Cushion Billiards worlds a ranker.

To be slightly slightly pedantic it isn't strictly true that the test of a ranking event is simply if it effects a player's rank, because if that were so then the "minor" ranking events played previously would have full ranking event status, which they haven't been given. You may argue that a "minor" ranking event is still a ranking event, but as these are not counted in player's statistics regarding "ranking event" victories then it would seem that there exists a categorical distinction beyond the mere nominative major/minor one.

if this event counts as a Ranking event then all the previous PTC should be upgraded too.

its ridiculous that a tournament that has zero to do with Snooker apart from the fact irs played on the same table is counted and PTC events that was hard graft isnt.


I actually thought the shoot out was a nice event. It was harmless fun, not pure snooker, but that's not how it was marketed. It was also played at two terrific venues - Blackpool and Reading - and the crowds were vocal without being annoying. It was a lot better than Power Snooker, the grimey crowds at which had all the charm of a worn sleeve tattoo.

But now it's been made what it did not need to be and what it was better off not being: a gameshow snooker event marketed as serious snooker. Awful move.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:Pink Ball, have you been drunk for the last six weeks?

I'm worried how much sense you've been talking?

I don't drink a drop, good sir :wave:

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Pink Ball, have you been drunk for the last six weeks?

I'm worried how much sense you've been talking?

I don't drink a drop, good sir :wave:


That's always been your trouble.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Dennis Taylor‏ @dennistaylor147
How many people get a chance to play golf with the President of The USA.
Sport crosses all political barriers. Give Rory McIllroy a break

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Dennis Taylor‏ @dennistaylor147
How many people get a chance to play golf with the President of The USA.
Sport crosses all political barriers. Give Rory McIllroy a break


I just asked him about it, quite politely, and he told me to get a life.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I doubt if there is a single person in the world who Taylor would refuse to play golf with.


I literally said "McIlroy played golf with Trump?"

He told me to get a life.

Senile out hammer. rofl

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Andre147

Why don't Sky hire DT to commentate their Golf tournaments? He'd surely do a much better job than commentating Snooker that's a certainty.

I do wonder when his Golf crap started... I've listened to his commentary in the 90s and early 00s matches via many Youtube links and his commentary was actually very good then.

It may be just a coincidence (or maybe not) but the commentary from the BBC made a serious decline when Clive left and above all when they started having people wear earpieces, which was around 2007 I think.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby The Herminator

On the red button do they still go off for a tea break each frame and leave you staring at a table being set up in silence for 2 minutes? The concept of dead air and audience entertainment seemed to be completely alien to the BBC then!

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Gridlock

I watched some of this last year...tried again this year due to nice refs....it felt like the dreams I was being ravaged with all week being sick with a fever and treating it with whisky. Of course the refs were nice, but I was so sick I was overcome with indifference. Not to mention the fact that I expect Earl the pearl Strickland to jump out at any moment. Too pool like for this guy.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Gridlock

I gotta say however....it is nice to see guys I've never seen before play some pretty darn good snooker.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Andre147 wrote:It may be just a coincidence (or maybe not) but the commentary from the BBC made a serious decline when Clive left and above all when they started having people wear earpieces, which was around 2007 I think.


I read years ago that BBC wanted their commentators to sound like they were watching a game in a pub/club. Informal and without much analysis.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby Andre147

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Andre147 wrote:It may be just a coincidence (or maybe not) but the commentary from the BBC made a serious decline when Clive left and above all when they started having people wear earpieces, which was around 2007 I think.


I read years ago that BBC wanted their commentators to sound like they were watching a game in a pub/club. Informal and without much analysis.


Which is true. And it's the exact opposite of what ITV do, and that's the correct approach.

Re: Coral Snooker Shoot Out!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, if that is what the BBC are going for, they've got it wrong. Colin Murray and his Eurosport mates are closer to that. The BBC just sound like clueless amateurs most of the time.

Also, I don't think the infornal man in the pub approach works for sport analysis. I'd rather hear experts, than drunks having a laugh.