World Seniors Championship 2017

Postby PoolBoy

21st -25th March 2017 in Scunthorpe

Quarter-finals draw:

Stephen Hendry v Willie Thorne or Qualifier
Dennis Taylor v Patsy Fagan or Qualifier
John Parrott v Joe Johnson or Qualifier
Cliff Thorburn v Tony Knowles or Qualifier

The winner will be offered the opportunity to enter the Qualifiers for the Crucible World Championship.

Dennis Taylor v Patsy Fagan!!! (potentially)

The 4 Qualifiers will be the winners from each of 4 venues:

17-19 Feb – The Crucible Sports and Social Club, Newbury (Southern venue)
23-25 Feb The Northern Snooker centre Leeds (Northern venue)
3–5 March – Ballroom Nuremberg Germany (European Venue)
10–12 March – D’Arcy McGees at Spawell, Dublin (Irish Venue)

I see that presenter, Andy Goldstein, has entered the Newbury Qualifier!
Last edited by PoolBoy on 19 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Re: World Seniors Championship 2017

Postby Alex0paul

Hendry, Taylor, Thorburn, Johnson and Parrott can play in the WC Qualifiers anyway

Postby Vallomas

PoolBoy wrote:
Vallomas wrote:Who are the players that will take part in the qualifiers? And when the will be played?

Here's the draw sheet for the first qualifier (63 entrants). http://www.snookerlegends.co.uk/docs/WS ... y_Draw.pdf

This Twitter seems to be good for updates. https://twitter.com/Snookerlegends?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Thank you!

As I see, the qualifiers are being played right now, I just checked that Gereard Greene lost!

I didn't see Darren Morgan's name, but I assume that he is already eligible to play in the World's qualifiers?

Postby PoolBoy

I'm not sure he is, mate.
He's not a former World Champion, so would need to win the whole seniors championship. It looks to me that he's skipped it - as the current qualifier in Newport would have been the most likely venue he'd play at?

Meanwhile, Andy Goldstein has lost 0-3 to former Welsh professional, Anthony Davies....

Postby Vallomas

I remember that he was eligible to play in some professional events this season, because he won a tournament somewhere -and that's why he played last summer in Riga, where he reached the semis.

Anyway, we'll learn soon.

Postby PLtheRef

Doesn't Morgan qualify for the World Seniors Championship directly given he is a former winner of the actual World Seniors event? (2011)

Postby PoolBoy

PLtheRef wrote:Doesn't Morgan qualify for the World Seniors Championship directly given he is a former winner of the actual World Seniors event? (2011)

That's a good point. Strange that he's not been included. :shrug:

Postby motorhead

PLtheRef wrote:Doesn't Morgan qualify for the World Seniors Championship directly given he is a former winner of the actual World Seniors event? (2011)

Used to be like that but no idea under this new format.

Postby PoolBoy

The draw is now complete:

Quarter-finals draw:

Stephen Hendry v Willie Thorne or Aiden Owens
Dennis Taylor v Patsy Fagan or Peter Lines
John Parrott v Joe Johnson or Patrick Wallace
Cliff Thorburn v Tony Knowles or Jonathan Bagley

Postby Dan-cat

PoolBoy wrote:The draw is now complete:

Quarter-finals draw:

Hendry really should have this...

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:The draw is now complete:

Quarter-finals draw:

Hendry really should have this...

Good. I'd like to see Hendry earn the right to compete in Crucible qualifying.

Oh wait. :|

Postby thecueview

Hello everyone.

I believe World Snooker removed the idea of allowing former champions in the qualifiers as no one (bar Davis who was a tour wildcard anyway), entered in previous years. They have now gone down the route of inviting other players who have done well in major amateur competitions throughout this season.

Darren Morgan was in the Riga Masters earlier this year courtesy of winning the EBSA European Open which qualified him for just that event. Perhaps Morgan could have been one of the 8 wildcard legends for the main draw but the seedings were based on World Titles, Triple Crown Events and then Ranking Event.

I did a preview for the event if anyone is interested. I actually think Patrick Wallace has a great chance - still plays to a high standard and made a lot of breaks whilst qualifying in Dublin.

http://www.thecueview.com/2017-world-se ... eview.html

Postby PoolBoy

Is this being televised anywhere?

I agree with CueViews opinion that the 4 Qualifiers will have the advantage of being more 'match sharp' than the legends. That's interesting that Willie Thorne will be playing for the first time in 15 years. He's bound to be nervous!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Peter Lines v Patrick Wallace final.

But, the old romantic in me would like to see Hendry winning it, as I've a feeling that he would, on this occasion, accept the invitation to the Crucible Qualifiers....

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:Is this being televised anywhere?

I agree with CueViews opinion that the 4 Qualifiers will have the advantage of being more 'match sharp' than the legends. That's interesting that Willie Thorne will be playing for the first time in 15 years. He's bound to be nervous!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Peter Lines v Patrick Wallace final.

But, the old romantic in me would like to see Hendry winning it, as I've a feeling that he would, on this occasion, accept the invitation to the Crucible Qualifiers....

Yeah absolutely, and if he qualified Hendry would surely get a streamed table in the Qualifiers, would be a travesty if the 7 time World Champion didn't have it.

And of course if he does win this a small, but nevetheless a chance of getting to the Crucible. I don't believe he can, but a nice draw and things could get interesting...

Postby PoolBoy

kolompar wrote:This tournament sucks even if Hendry wins it.

Why do you feel that's the case?

Snooker doesn't stop when players reach 40+ as has been demonstrated this season by Higgins, Hamilton, King and O'Sullivan, amongst others.

Postby The Herminator

I think the tournament will be fun but the lineup does seem a bit random. I also can't see many of these "legends" being able to compete with the qualifiers so it'll end up just a WC qualifying tournament with some famous names in the first round to sell tickets. Having said that I'd love Hendry to win and make it through but it does all seem a bit weird.

Postby kolompar

PoolBoy wrote:
kolompar wrote:This tournament sucks even if Hendry wins it.

Why do you feel that's the case?

Snooker doesn't stop when players reach 40+ as has been demonstrated this season by Higgins, Hamilton, King and O'Sullivan, amongst others.

Yeah and those players can't play in it but some unknown amateurs can. Don't get the point of tour players not allowed, and the age limit is too low. This tournament looks like a joke with 60+ legends and 40-year-old nobodies playing together. And a WC qualifying place for a Snooker Legends tournament? <doh>

Postby PoolBoy

kolompar wrote:Plus no Tony Drago.

It's ONE place of the 128 slots available for Crucible qualifying. The Women get one too.
Token gestures? Perhaps - but being 40+ and not on Tour doesn't mean you're 'finished as a player.

Blimey, the holder of the UK Championship (the 2nd biggest tournament in snooker) was eliminated by an amateur this year!

You're demonstrating remarkable ignorance here.
Tony Drago didn't enter any of the 4 qualifying events.