Post a reply

Re: The English Open Final Thread

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Could Ronnie maybe get to Hendry's 36 rankers record after all with all these tournaments nowadays?

I so want to believe he can, but problem is he probably wont play long enough/or to a high enough level.

I think Higgins is more likely to equal that record than Ronnie, because Higgins plays in more tournaments and will likely play longer than Ronnie.

What makes you think Higgins will play longer than Ronnie?

Probably because Higgins accepts poor form better than Ronnie does.
Ronnie has had such a transformation of psychology these last ten years that I would favour Ronnie. Higgins is a natural at coping with its vissitudes, but therefore it’s more likely to steal over him and hurt his game.

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Could Ronnie maybe get to Hendry's 36 rankers record after all with all these tournaments nowadays?

I so want to believe he can, but problem is he probably wont play long enough/or to a high enough level.

I think Higgins is more likely to equal that record than Ronnie, because Higgins plays in more tournaments and will likely play longer than Ronnie.

You cant be sure with Ronnie. He is such a naturally gifted player. We should just enjoy the moment when he plays.

I was sure. I said he'd win on Tuesday.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:matches and tournaments like this always gives me hope that he has another world title in him. but as we know, the world champs is a different kettle of fish.

It has to be seen whether he can somehow keep up that form or play to a smilar level throughout the season.

it is different but no current pro has more experiance of what it takes to win there.

If there's one thing I learned about the World Championship it's that you always need luck to win the world championship. Selby played nowhere near his best in 2016 and still won the title. which shows what a good player he is. But I think even he was surprised because he knew he didn't play well.

In 2015 Neil Robertson played fantastically well but played (beast-mode) Hawkins who played the match of his life and then Barry did what he always does, playing rubbish the next match against Murphy. Robbo must have felt rubbish.

Its really sometimes not in your hands.
Last edited by TheRocket on 22 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Andre147

Hats off SF! :hatoff:

Unlike what Cloud says, you were the first here to say Ronnie would win it, for all the reasons you explained.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Hats off SF! :hatoff:

Unlike what Cloud says, you were the first here to say Ronnie would win it, for all the reasons you explained.

World Championship Prediction King strikes again.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:

Mark King?

Postby Andre147

2nd tournament Ronnie wins whilst wearing trainers! 2014 UK Champs too.

Maybe he should hurt his foot more often. <laugh>

Postby eraserhead

Snooker Overdrive wrote:After Ronnie's meltdown against Brecel at the China Championship, this resurgence to form is even more pleasing.

Matches like that just underline how special a player Ronnie is.

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan will still play well if he is allowed to play well. Wilson has no tactical nous yet. He played like someone who didn't believe he could win, and just thought "I will go for everything and that will show everyone I ain't scared of him".

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Mark King?

:goodpost:

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:2nd tournament Ronnie wins whilst wearing trainers! 2014 UK Champs too.

Imagine if he went barefoot!

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Andre147 wrote:2nd tournament Ronnie wins whilst wearing trainers! 2014 UK Champs too.

Imagine if he went barefoot!

Then he would win every title there is. Sadly World Snooker dont allow that.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan will still play well if he is allowed to play well. Wilson has no tactical nous yet. He played like someone who didn't believe he could win, and just thought "I will go for everything and that will show everyone I ain't scared of him".

The only 3 players I've seen that can cope with this type of O'sullivan and don't be "scared" by it are Mark Selby, John Higgins and the late Paul Hunter.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:matches and tournaments like this always gives me hope that he has another world title in him. but as we know, the world champs is a different kettle of fish.

It has to be seen whether he can somehow keep up that form or play to a smilar level throughout the season.

it is different but no current pro has more experiance of what it takes to win there.

If there's one thing I learned about the World Championship it's that you always need luck to win the world championship. Selby played nowhere near his best in 2016 and still won the title. which shows what a good player he is. But I think even he was surprised because he knew he didn't play well.

In 2015 Neil Robertson played fantastically well but played (beast-mode) Hawkins who played the match of his life and then Barry did what he always does, playing rubbish the next match against Murphy. Robbo must have felt rubbish.

Its really sometimes not in your hands.

Yes, this is true. There is so much luck in snooker and there is so much pressure at The Crucible. It is a lottery at times.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Winning a ranking tournament so early in the season will help Ronnie a lot. We all saw last season that the unfortunate, tight loss at the European Masters took a knock on his confidence, that he struggled in finals ever since until today.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:Will Ronnie win the million?

If he can somehow maintain his form, he can.
But being realistic, nobody can do it.
All these events have way too short of a format, so if you make a mistake, you're out of it.

Postby Andre147

The million is just impossible, even for ROS.

I can see Ronnie winning 2 Home Nations events, more than that it's just unrealistic chances.

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet wrote:O'Sullivan will still play well if he is allowed to play well. Wilson has no tactical nous yet. He played like someone who didn't believe he could win, and just thought "I will go for everything and that will show everyone I ain't scared of him".

I still didn't think O'Sullivan was capable of playing like this. It's something we haven't seen since ages from him. Especially in a final.

Sometimes one match can do wonders and I do think that his win over Higgins in the last 16 has given him a huge confidence boost and has been very important mentally.

Postby vodkadiet

TheRocket wrote:

I still didn't think O'Sullivan was capable of playing like this. It's something we haven't seen since ages from him. Especially in a final.

Sometimes one match can do wonders and I do think that his win over Higgins in the last 16 has given him a huge confidence boost and has been very important mentally.

As we have seen in his exhibitions, if there is no pressure O'Sullivan can play brilliantly. The English Open is not that important an event that he will feel any pressure.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

As we have seen in his exhibitions, if there is no pressure O'Sullivan can play brilliantly. The English Open is not that important an event that he will feel any pressure.

But it still had all the best players in the world in it.

Yes it's not as big as a China Champs, International Champs or the Triple Crown, but still it's a ranking event.

Higgins reached 29 by winning the Indian Open, and that event is one of the less prestigious in the whle calendar. Best of 7s until the Final, and many top players not entering.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

But it still had all the best players in the world in it.

Yes it's not as big as a China Champs, International Champs or the Triple Crown, but still it's a ranking event.

Higgins reached 29 by winning the Indian Open, and that event is one of the less prestigious in the whle calendar. Best of 7s until the Final, and many top players not entering.

Higgins will decline very quickly. O'Sullivan will stick around longer.

Postby Andre147

Very interesting to hear his thoughts, hope he carries on with this spirit and keep himself motivated for sucess.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

What makes you think Higgins will play longer than Ronnie?

Probably because Higgins accepts poor form better than Ronnie does.
Ronnie has had such a transformation of psychology these last ten years that I would favour Ronnie. Higgins is a natural at coping with its vissitudes, but therefore it’s more likely to steal over him and hurt his game.

buck me anyone with a translation??????