Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Scottish Open Last 16 !!!

Postby Andre147

I think Selby will start playing great once again in the New year.

He knows Ronnie has a realistic chance of taking his number 1 spot.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:I think Selby will start playing great once again in the New year.

Being world no. 1 means nothing whatsoever. One might become no. 1 by reaching finals and final stages of tournaments, but I doubt any top pro would care more about that than about winning tournaments.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:I think Selby will start playing great once again in the New year.

Being world no. 1 means nothing whatsoever. One might become no. 1 by reaching finals and final stages of tournaments, but I doubt any top pro would care more about that than about winning tournaments.

That makes no sense Johnny. You cannot be no 1 without winning tournaments.

I worry that Selby has become complacent as his dominance has been so complete - he needs to guard against that. I would hate a situation like in cycling where only one event really matters, and the no 1 let's other players have the scraps. I want all tournaments to be fought over hard.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I worry that Selby has become complacent as his dominance has been so complete - he needs to guard against that. I would hate a situation like in cycling where only one event really matters, and the no 1 let's other players have the scraps. I want all tournaments to be fought over hard.

Selby has not become complacent, he simply isn't good enough to dominate. I've never ever seen him steamroll opponents throughout a tournament the way Ronnie and Hendry have.
Even the WC's he's won, he barely scrapped through certain rounds.

And you can become wn1 even without winning tournaments, tennis is a very good example.

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:How Huggil managed to make it so far is beyond me. :hmmm:
He's one of the weakest players out there.

We did see the same in Northern Ireland. The bo7 format and the amount of tournaments (fatigue) is affecting the toppros quite heavily. Some toppros obviously don't even turn up and skip this.

What you get is a terrible standard and many journeymen in the last 16 and even in quarters and semis.
Last edited by TheRocket on 14 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Selby has not become complacent, he simply isn't good enough to dominate. I've never ever seen him steamroll opponents throughout a tournament the way Ronnie and Hendry have.
Even the WC's he's won, he barely scrapped through certain rounds.

And you can become wn1 even without winning tournaments, tennis is a very good example.

I know little of tennis, but that is irrelevant.

It is either impossible or practically impossible to be No1 without winning tournaments in snooker. I am happy to be corrected by a counterexample though.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:How Huggil managed to make it so far is beyond me. :hmmm:
He's one of the weakest players out there.

We did see the same in Northern Ireland. The bo7 format and the amount of tournaments (fatigue) is affecting the toppros quite heavily. Some toppros obviously don't even turn up and skip this.

What you get is a terrible standard and many journeymen in the last 16 and even in quarters and semis.

This Huggil guy can't even make a 20 break :td:

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Didn't Hendry become WN1 in 2006 or something despite not winning anything?

I might be wrong but I'm sure I remember him saying at the time that he'd rather be winning tournaments than be WN1.
Last edited by Iranu on 14 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

pathetic performance from Hugill. As worse as I've seen anyone play. Some players are just wasting their time. They'll never achieve anything in this game. The only thing they might do is causing an upset in first or second rounds. Thats it.

Postby Incident on 57th street 20

TheRocket wrote:pathetic performance from Hugill. As worse as I've seen anyone play. Some players are just wasting their time. They'll never achieve anything in this game. The only thing they might do is causing an upset in first or second rounds. Thats it.

Yes it's terrible.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Didn't Hendry become WN1 in 2006 or something despite not winning anything?

I might be wrong but I'm sure I remember him saying at the time that he'd rather be winning tournaments than be WN1.

Good example, you sir are correct. I forgot about that one
Here's the link to prove it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooker_season_2006/2007

Postby Johnny Bravo

Incident on 57th street 20 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Neil delivers the coup-de-grace with a century

back to back centuries.

I'd love to see him winning this, if Ronnie gets beat by Riggins

Postby LC

These young players are so far away from the old guards top level that is why they are continuing to rule the top of the game

Postby boris_the_butcher

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Incident on 57th street 20 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Neil delivers the coup-de-grace with a century

back to back centuries.

I'd love to see him winning this, if Ronnie gets beat by Riggins

Rohn Riggins?

Postby Johnny Bravo

boris_the_butcher wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote: