Post a reply

Re: ManBetX Welsh Open Last 16 !!!!

Postby TheRocket

Chalk McHugh wrote:John leading 19-10 in rankers suggests Ronnie wont treat it like playing Dunn or Grace. Because Higgins is not Dunn or Grace. Ronnie will be under pressure. From John and from himself. Totally different to playing a numpty.

Why is it different? You'll always get chances no matter who you play. Yes, sure against those weaker players you think you get a lot more. But if you keep winning frames in one visit, it doesnt matter who's sitting in that seat.

Graeme Dott did play like a Top16 player against ROS. But it didn't matter.

Higgins might lead him 19:10 in ranking events. O'Sullivan on the other hand has beaten him in a World final and wiped him out in two Mastersfinals. And leads him 10:7 in finals.

Postby Chalk McHugh

TheRocket wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:John leading 19-10 in rankers suggests Ronnie wont treat it like playing Dunn or Grace. Because Higgins is not Dunn or Grace. Ronnie will be under pressure. From John and from himself. Totally different to playing a numpty.

Why is it different? You'll always get chances no matter who you play. Yes, sure against those weaker players you think you get a lot more. But if you keep winning frames in one visit, it doesnt matter who's sitting in that seat.

Higgins might lead him 19:10 in ranking events. O'Sullivan on the other hand has beaten him in a World final and wiped him out in two Mastersfinals. And leads him 10:7 in finals.

All will be revealed tomorrow. I do fancy Ronnie for this one but who knows?

Postby Chalk McHugh

TheRocket wrote:

10-7 in finals is more like it.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:

U make a good point. Like I said, it all comes down to the safety department, who can create more chances for himself.

Postby Iranu

If Higgins has a weakness, it's probably his long potting right?

If those are going in regularly, he's a nightmare.

Postby Iranu

Chalk McHugh wrote:No matter what boat Yan Bintao came over on he might be the one to sink the Rocket.

Good Ship Higgins might do that first!

Postby eraserhead

Chalk McHugh wrote:No matter what boat Yan Bintao came over on he might be the one to sink the Rocket.

Yan is Tommy. Ronnie is Rocky. Nuff said.

Postby Chalk McHugh

eraserhead wrote:

Is Rory McLeod Apollo Creed?

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:
U make a good point. Like I said, it all comes down to the safety department, who can create more chances for himself.

Yes very much true. I think, safety game will make the difference tomorrow assuming that both will keep scoring like this. I still think ROS is the better scorer atm though.

Higgins might have done well in this match so far but he's inconsistent from what I've seen in his last matches.

Postby Chalk McHugh

eraserhead wrote:

I dont know who Tommy is.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Chalk McHugh wrote:
eraserhead wrote:

Is Rory McLeod Apollo Creed?

<ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

Chalk McHugh wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

I don't think it's as simple as that. Ronnie is clearly fazed by Higgins in the same way that others are intimidated by Ronnie. He knows Higgins will stand up to him and won't crumble like a lot of the other players do. This creates a certain amount pressure as we have seen over the years.

It's easy for us to sit here and say block out the pressure or treat it the same way as playing Dunn, Grace etc, but we know it just doesn't work like that. Ronnie is a human being at the end of the day and he can't just turn it on and off like a switch.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Cloud Strife wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

I don't think it's as simple as that. Ronnie is clearly fazed by Higgins in the same way that others are intimidated by Ronnie. He knows Higgins will stand up to him and won't crumble like a lot of the other players do. This creates a certain amount pressure as we have seen over the years.

It's easy for us to sit here and say block out the pressure or treat it the same way as playing Dunn, Grace etc, but we know it just doesn't work like that. Ronnie is a human being at the end of the day and he can't just turn it on and off like a switch.

Correct. It seems pretty evident.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:If Higgins has a weakness, it's probably his long potting right?

If those are going in regularly, he's a nightmare.

I think the same. Higgins has never been great at long pots.

Postby TheRocket

Cloud Strife wrote:I don't think it's as simple as that. Ronnie is clearly fazed by Higgins in the same way that others are intimidated by Ronnie. He knows Higgins will stand up to him and won't crumble like a lot of the other players do. This creates a certain amount pressure as we have seen over the years.

You can't call yourself the best or greatest though if you're fazed by someone. The Ronnie-Higgins rivalry is quite a strange one though. Until 2005 Ronnie won most of their important matches. The H2H in multi session matches was like 10:5 in Rons favour but from then on things have totally changed and Higgins has had the upper hand. And Ronnie very rarely played anything close to his best against Higgins since then.

This season he has turned things around by winning 4 matches in a row against Higgins but that whitewash defeat in Scotland was a little setback.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

TheRocket wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I don't think it's as simple as that. Ronnie is clearly fazed by Higgins in the same way that others are intimidated by Ronnie. He knows Higgins will stand up to him and won't crumble like a lot of the other players do. This creates a certain amount pressure as we have seen over the years.

You can't call yourself the best or greatest though if you're fazed by someone. The Ronnie-Higgins rivalry is quite a strange one though. Until 2005 Ronnie won most of their important matches. The H2H in multi session matches was like 10:5 in Rons favour but from then on things have totally changed and Higgins has had the upper hand. And Ronnie very rarely played anything close to his best against Higgins since then.

This season he has turned things around by winning 4 matches in a row against Higgins but that whitewash defeat in Scotland was a little setback.

It all started with the 2006 Masters final defeat. yes, he lost to JH at the GP 9-2 before the tournament. But the way he lost the masters made ROS mentally weak whenever he faced JH from then on.
That masters final loss turned the table and shifted the whole momentum in Higgins favour.

Postby LeonD123

When you open Ronnie vs Dunn on Youtube and the video length is 58min, you know where it is going.

PS: The lady referee surely know how to properly walk around in heels.
Last edited by LeonD123 on 01 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Come on guys, Ronnie has beaten Higgins in some important matches. 2001 World Final and 2005 Masters final for example. Ronnie also beat Higgins 6-0 in last years Champion of Champions and 6-2 in last years Shanghai Masters. He also leads the head to head 34-28.

Postby Iranu

MDG: if that red to middle had had 1/4 of a ball less pace on it...!

This season is a different proposition for both players though.

Form and history goes out the window. It's anyone's game.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:We're in for a thriller tomorrow. I expect high level snooker. Very high level. Class of '92 level.

Hopefully it's high quality snooker from the The Rocket and he trasshes Higgins, just like he's done this season with 6-0 and 6-2. And revenge from the lasyt 5-0 result Higgins had.

My only problem is I've seen Ron play like this before and then get mental block against Higgins and cant reprodice that form...

I'll hate it if that happens...

Postby Chalk McHugh

Iranu wrote:MDG: if that red to middle had had 1/4 of a ball less pace on it...!

This season is a different proposition for both players though.

Form and history goes out the window. It's anyone's game.

That bloody red. Should never have dropped. That hurt.

Postby TheRocket

Holden Chinaski wrote:Come on guys, Ronnie has beaten Higgins in some important matches. 2001 World Final and 2005 Masters final for example. Ronnie also beat Higgins 6-0 in last years Champion of Champions and 6-2 in last years Shanghai Masters. He also leads the head to head 34-28.

Of course he has. And that World final 2001 will always be the biggest one. But thats what I said. Ronnie was winning the majority of his matches against Higgins until 2005 but from then on Higgins has had the upper hand most of the times. mdg is probably right when he says that the Mastersfinal 2006 played a big role.

I fully agree though that Ronnie this season had great wins against Higgins and hopefully more about to come.
Last edited by TheRocket on 01 Mar 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:We're in for a thriller tomorrow. I expect high level snooker. Very high level. Class of '92 level.

Hopefully it's high quality snooker from the The Rocket and he trasshes Higgins, just like he's done this season with 6-0 and 6-2. And revenge from the lasyt 5-0 result Higgins had.

My only problem is I've seen Ron play like this before and then get mental block against Higgins and cant reprodice that form...

I'd rather both players play great stuff and Ronnie wins in a decider :)

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I'd rather both players play great stuff and Ronnie wins in a decider :)

As long as he wins, I wont mind a black ball thriller!