Post a reply

The Tempodrom layout: a rushed opinion piece

Postby journo

The typical snooker player is partial to the odd grumble; every silver lining has its cloud.

Mark Allen is among the tour’s less cheery cranks, and even a venue as adored as the Tempodrom hasn’t proven itself immune to his whines. His newest barbs – he has threatened not to participate in the 2019 German Masters should the tournament maintain its unique table layout – are severe and, perhaps, excessive – but his concerns are neither unique nor misguided.

The set in Berlin fatally undermines the Tempodrom’s majesty from a spectator’s perspective. The selection of matches is too broad, even for someone as hopelessly in love in with the sport as this reporter. When seated in the balcony, one’s attention is dragged back and over, hither and across by the cheers of the spectators neighbouring the tables, those close enough to prioritise a single match. More disorienting, however, is that the tables are all turned in different directions, a prime example of untidy symmetry. Why this quirk addles as much as it does is beyond explanation – but it’s too flummoxing on the subconscious to dismiss as mere pedantry.

These are minor gripes, nothing more – but small gripes left unaddressed have an uncanny knack for spoiling reputations – even one as lofty as the Tempodrom’s.

Re: The Tempodrom layout: a rushed opinion piece

Postby Chalk McHugh

Any time the tv cameras show the five tables and their various out of sync positions it scrambles my brain. I can only imagine sitting their all day. I'm with Allen on this one. Germans, stop messing about with this great game. There's no need to try to be different. Please unsctamble our brains and go easy on our sense of sight.

Re: The Tempodrom layout: a rushed opinion piece

Postby Iranu

I still don't really get the problem from a player's point of view. The position of the table is the same relative to the player anyway.

If there's an issue with the lighting then obviously that needs addressing.