Post a reply

Re: Race to the Crucible: Qualifying Round 1 (April 11th~14t

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Mark King was trying to confront Greene after the match.

Greene should report him to Barry Hearn.

Did they have a fight?

I think what King said to Greene after the match was "you know, when you get a bit of luck it's quite alright just to put your hand up". I think what Gerard replied was "I don't do that, I'm sorry.".

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Did they have a fight?

I think what King said to Greene after the match was "you know, when you get a bit of luck it's quite alright just to put your hand up". I think what Gerard replied was "I don't do that, I'm sorry.".

Why doesn't Mark King do that?

Postby vodkadiet

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Did they have a fight?

And King then retorted "So you can apologise??!!"

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think some players don't hold their hand up because they feel it get's them out of the zone. They wan't to stay focused. They also probably feel luck evens out in a match so every player will get his share of luck and bad luck. Let's be honest, when a player holds his hand up he's really not sorry at all.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think some players don't hold their hand up because they feel it get's them out of the zone. They wan't to stay focused. They also probably feel luck evens out in a match so every player will get his share of luck and bad luck. Let's be honest, when a player holds his hand up he's really not sorry at all.

Exactly. It's completely disingenuous, so what's the point? Unless it's absolutely outrageous fortune.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I think some players don't hold their hand up because they feel it get's them out of the zone. They wan't to stay focused. They also probably feel luck evens out in a match so every player will get his share of luck and bad luck. Let's be honest, when a player holds his hand up he's really not sorry at all.

Exactly. It's completely disingenuous, so what's the point? Unless it's absolutely outrageous fortune.

I like it. It shows politeness. Something that the game of snooker has over other professional sports.

In a world where fans wearing football shirts isn't considered classy enough, it's good to see players making properly classy gestures.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I agree it's a classy gesture to hold your hand up and I like it when players do it, but I don't hate on a player when he doesn't do it.

I think it's more disrespectful when a player like Maguire bangs his cue or bangs his hand on the table and moans and groans all the time... It can distract the other player.

Postby vodkadiet

I like the half apology. Not the outrageous fluke, but the little flick that helps a player a small amount.

Dominic Dale is the king of the half apology. His hand is raised halfway and synchronises it with the 'half a glance' at his opponent.

Postby Holden Chinaski

vodkadiet wrote:I like the half apology. Not the outrageous fluke, but the little flick that helps a player a small amount.

Dominic Dale is the king of the half apology. His hand is raised halfway and synchronises it with the 'half a glance' at his opponent.

Dale is a class act. :hatoff:

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I like it. It shows politeness. Something that the game of snooker has over other professional sports.

Players apologise in tennis. <ok>

Postby vodkadiet

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Players apologise in tennis. <ok>

Not always. Tin Henman had a massive row with Kafelnikov because Henman wasn't apologising for net cords.

But no one genuinely wants to apologise if they are being honest. They are there to win, whatever the sport is.

The best sportsmanship I ever saw was when Mal Washington was playing Alex Radulescu in a Wimbledon quarter final in 1996. Radulescu was 2 points from winning with and he gave a point to Washington when his volley was called out. He would have had 2 match points, but instead it was 30-all and Washington won the match.

Anyway, that isn't really the same as apologising.

If a snooker player really was sorry, he would miss the next shot on purpose!