Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship Final Higgins v Williams !!

Postby vodkadiet

Iranu wrote:Just further to my and Vodka's discussion of luck: I think a lot of younger players would have used "luck" as a crutch if they experienced what Williams went through this evening.

Seeing Higgins coming back at them and only leaving half-chances when he broke down, someone like Judd or Ding would have seen that and said "this just isn't my day, everything's going against me," and that could be the excuse they needed to allow themselves to falter and go on to lose.

But Williams, as he says in his press conference, just thought "You're playing well, just make a frame winning break next chance you get," even after missing that easy pink.

That to me is the difference between the class of '92 and the next generation. And that's why they are failing to step up when it really matters.

I agree.

This is an era of mental midgets where the players go and cry to their 'Mummy' if they don't get their way.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Andre147 wrote:I think last year was harder to take for Higgins. He even said that was his most heartbreaking defeat.

He was 10-4 up on that one remember... here, yes he did extremelly well to recover, but the damage was done in the 3rd session, and Higgins left himself with far too much to do, so I think this defeat is easier to take than the one he lost to Selby when he really should have won it.

But to lose two finals on the spin must a sickener for JH. You never know how many chances you get. He got two in the last two years. Lost both.

Was well up last year and was the favourite to win in this final. Could have overtaken Ronnie and be only one behind Hendry.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Andy Spark wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I'd have no objection to Williams being player of the season.

He definitely is. The world title alone is like worth of 5 rankers. Ronnie on the other hand is a very strong second. Probably the best second best player we've ever seen in a season.

Yes, I think Williams just edges it as player of the season, but it’s still been a very good season for Ronnie fans. :)

It’s been a pretty good season for higgins fans too.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

I always loved watching Williams play back in the day and he was always cool as a cucumber especially when it came to the crunch. However, since he lost that uk final to John Iv always thought he had a questionable bottle, I don’t mind saying that he completely blew that theory out the water last nite. I do think if John had been playing better he would have severely punished mjw for not closing off frames like he did to trump in 2011 but he didn’t. Williams looked the stronger from the get go and apart from the Wee comeback was always the strongest player. Well done mark, a deserving winner and a top guy!

Postby LeonD123

SnookerFan wrote:Work is poor, and work is rubbish....

At least I have Eurovision Saturday to look forward to.

Let's see what are they going to come up with this year.

A bearded woman.

A Down-Syndrom rock band.

An African girl singing in English to represent France.

:party: :party:

Postby TheRocket

No doubt that this is the icing on the cake for MJW. He'd had a great career already of course but to win another World title after 15 years and all those bad years must be special.

He said in this press conference he wouldn't care if he didn't won another match after this or his form gone downhill.

And I think his form will drop a little bit. Don't think he'll win another World title or have another great season as this. But as he said. Who cares after yesterday?