Post a reply

Re: Kaspersky Riga Masters !!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:There's no snooker clubs anymore.
Young people can't get involved.

I was just making a similar point in the class thread. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Dennis Taylor @dennistaylor147
For those asking about my new snooker glasses I designed,
any reputable optician will be able to get them. Made by Brulimar Optical Group.
Happy potting

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Dennis Taylor @dennistaylor147
For those asking about my new snooker glasses I designed,
any reputable optician will be able to get them. Made by Brulimar Optical Group.
Happy potting

I've already got a pair of 'On Yee trifocals' ordered.

Postby Iranu

Is snooker in the toilet facility when it comes to young players, or is British snooker in the toilet facility when it comes to young players?

Yan Bingtao for example seems to be ahead of Lisowski despite being 9 years younger than him. Remains to be seen whether he'll continue his upward trajectory this season of course.

Do we think the so-called "Chinese revolution" is being exaggerated? I certainly think some of the younger Chinese players coming through have been a bit over-hyped. But they definitely are coming through stronger and faster than British youngsters are.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:The best young talent in snooker is still Ronnie O’Sullivan.

What I can say is a legend like him, Higgins and MJW, all from that Class of 92, still very much rule Snooker, and tne young players cant seem to put the oldies out of their misery lol... but really, those 3 dominated last season, especially MJW and ROS, it was like the early 2000s all over again.

I doubt those 3 combined will have another great season like that next season, but you never know with them...

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:Is snooker in the toilet facility when it comes to young players, or is British snooker in the toilet facility when it comes to young players?

Yan Bingtao for example seems to be ahead of Lisowski despite being 9 years younger than him. Remains to be seen whether he'll continue his upward trajectory this season of course.

Do we think the so-called "Chinese revolution" is being exaggerated? I certainly think some of the younger Chinese players coming through have been a bit over-hyped. But they definitely are coming through stronger and faster than British youngsters are.

Yea but if World Snooker had a choice between Lisowski v Bingtao or Ebdon v Jimmy White guess which one they would highlight and promote.

no disrespect but there is absolutely nothing to gain from showing has beens on TV/Streams.

if jimmy never played on TV again he would still fill up venues. Snooker Legends was built around Alex Higgins so that people could see him play because they knew 16 years since he played on TV but he would pack them in... surely the name of the game is to make punters get to venues in millions to watch stars of the future not someone on a zimerframe.

Postby Dan-cat

Snookerbacker on form as ever. And no HF, I don't write these as you once mistakenly thought - it's Snookerbacker, a brilliant snooker blogger and ardent supporter of the amatuer game. Follow the link to find out more about him.

http://www.snookerbacker.com/2018/07/24 ... a-masters/

OK, technically it had already returned with the qualifiers in Preston, but let’s be honest, only the most ardent of anoraks will have taken any notice of that. This week however it’s back on the box as the annual Riga Masters from Latvia opens up the snooker season proper.

Ryan Day made his ranking breakthrough in this last season, the first of three tournament wins in his best season as a professional and he is back to defend his crown having had his match heldover, also involved is World Champion Mark Williams.

Unfortunately, but largely understandably, a few of the other top players have decided to give this one a miss, there’s no Ronnie, no Selby, no Ding or Judd but there is the likes of Robbo, Murphy, Allen, Carter and Hawkins. The take up however was so low that there were a few walkover versus walkover matches in the qualifiers (to be fair they were more entertaining than a few of the others), so it’s fair to say that this one isn’t exactly ticking all the boxes with the players, I think probably through a mix of the time of year and the relatively low prize money.

But on the plus side it gives the numpties more of a chance. It’s a good opportunity for the lower ranked players to hit the ground running in what is again a marathon season, but even at this early stage, a semi-final or better showing from a lowly ranked numpty might mean the difference between staying on tour and dropping off, so it could be a good week for one or two to find some early season form and get their tail up for when we really get going.

In terms of the blog, I’ll be again dipping in and out of the snooker this season. The days of chasing hits and visits are long gone and it can get a little repetitive covering everything so I’ve decided to also work on a seperate snooker-related project that I’m quite excited about. I’ll be starting this when the weather gets a bit cooler and probably asking a few general questions on here and on Twitter as research.

In the absence of anything that makes any sense on the World Snooker website of late, probably the best way to view the draw (and enter the competition if you so wish) is the excellent Event Prediction draw page at snooker.org – until the governing body make some sort of effort to sort out their website to make it more informative and accessible then I’ll carry on linking to these, which are much simpler to work out, sometimes as they say, less is more.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Great to hear that Willo is straight back in the ring! Hope he's had a week off the budweiser.

Then again, he was eating kebabs at 2am on the day of the final. Who knows? A bottle of Bud or 12 might actually halp him. <laugh>

Postby vodkadiet

I saw Alan McManus on the beach today and he was wearing nothing but flip flops and boxer shorts. He was most definitely 'Ankles McManus.'

Postby Drew1404

Looking forward to this one. Curious to see zintong playing, got a lot of momentum from his q school wins and has got two good wins already this season in the qualifiers, most recently getting past Graeme dott. Likely to play Murphy second round though.

Postby Dan-cat

Drew1404 wrote:Looking forward to this one. Curious to see zintong playing, got a lot of momentum from his q school wins and has got two good wins already this season in the qualifiers, most recently getting past Graeme dott. Likely to play Murphy second round though.

Great point. Mad that he was in Q School.

Postby SnookerFan

What's going on with this?

There are rumblings on Twitter that very few players have entered it. And Wild said something about the event being shortened.

Or have I misunderstood?

Is it being show on the Eurosport main channel?

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:What's going on with this?

There are rumblings on Twitter that very few players have entered it. And Wild said something about the event being shortened.

Or have I misunderstood?

Did you read my Snookerbacker post above? Plenty of decent players in there. Willo for one!

Postby Dan-cat

Throwback post from the last event!

Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Snooker cilpas rieksti ir mēs
Es un Viņš, un viņi un es
Mēs parādīsim, ko mēs varam darīt
Ar bumbiņu slodzi un snūkera atgādni

Not long now

I'm in luton airport with my Latvian girlfriend and she just translated this...

Snooker loops nuts we are
Me and him and them and me
We will show what we can do
With ball pressure and a snooker reminder

Lolololololzzzz we are giggling a lot :-)

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:Throwback post from the last event!

Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Snooker cilpas rieksti ir mēs
Es un Viņš, un viņi un es
Mēs parādīsim, ko mēs varam darīt
Ar bumbiņu slodzi un snūkera atgādni

Not long now

I'm in luton airport with my Latvian girlfriend and she just translated this...

Snooker loops nuts we are
Me and him and them and me
We will show what we can do
With ball pressure and a snooker reminder

Lolololololzzzz we are giggling a lot :-)

<ok>

Postby SteveJJ

Or have I misunderstood?

I think you have misunderstood. only 25 have entered the Challenge Tour event that is happening at the same time as the Riga Masters.

Postby Wildey

Or have I misunderstood?

jesus i said challange tour 3 did not mention this.

you on something?