Post a reply

Shanghai Masters

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 10th~Sunday 16th of September at the Regal International East Asia Hotel, Shanghai, China

The Shanghai Masters was first played for in 2007 when Dominic Dale to this day who has never been a top 16 player won his second Ranking title 10 years after his first beating compatriot Ryan Day in the final.

This year though its not a Ranking event but a prestigious invitational event.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is the defending Champion and will be up against the rest of the top 16 players in the World plus top 4 highest ranked Chinese players and toping it up with 4 Wild Cards.

Who will win?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Shanghai Masters

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Cloud Strife is happy that the season is finally starting.

+1

+1000000000

Postby Wildey

Lets hope hes disapointed after the first match and the season is on hold once again <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:

Lets hope hes disapointed after the first match and the season is on hold once again <ok>

Hey Wild, you seen this?

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8132

Postby Alex0paul

Hurry up

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Shanghai_Masters

So the top 8 seeds come in in the second round.

The next 8 seeds all have a first round match, where they have to play either a Wildcard, or a Chinese tour player.

Potential Ronnie vs Robertson match in round 2. <ok>

Interesting format for the first tournament of the season.

Postby SnookerFan

Seems harsh on Kyren who has to play Liang Wenbo in the first round. Whereas players like Robertson, Bingham, Maguire and Ryan Day have to play random anonymous wildcards.

Have the Wildcards been announced yet? It's only next week.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Remember when Jimmy got wildcards to the B'n'H Masters for no other reason other than he was popular with the London crowd? Simpler times.

Didn't that happen a few times?

I remember being at a Jimmy White match in Wembley once. (I can't remember if he was still a top-16er, or a Wildcard at this point.) Anyway, the previous match Ding Junhui, who was a Wildcard at this point, knocked in a 147.

Jimmy came up for the next match, and I shouted; "Come on Jimmy, get another 147." I got an annoyed look from the person in front of me.

Postby SnookerFan

It's from the World Snooker site. They'd not understand it, unless he stated the obvious.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Something that appealed to my inane sense of humour.

My friend is an Ipswich fan and we went to Portman Road to watch them whilst Jimmy Bullard was playing for them. It was a rubbish match so every time Bullard got the ball I gave it a proper 1980s Masters 'Come on Jimmy'.

Bullard at that time for was too good for that level of football and bossed the game. I ruined the match for a substantial proportion of the Bobby Robson stand but it amused me.

Postby Alex0paul

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Something that appealed to my inane sense of humour.

My friend is an Ipswich fan and we went to Portman Road to watch them whilst Jimmy Bullard was playing for them. It was a rubbish match so every time Bullard got the ball I gave it a proper 1980s Masters 'Come on Jimmy'.

Bullard at that time for was too good for that level of football and bossed the game. I ruined the match for a substantial proportion of the Bobby Robson stand but it amused me.

Disgraceful

Postby SnookerFan

You have jumped the shark.

Postby Dan-cat

Brilliant!!

Postby Iranu

Ronnie's so good he gets to be on the poster twice.

Hawkins looks out of place with the rest of those players. Wenbo too but you can understand why they'd promote him.

Murphy the only top 8 seed not to be on the poster. They'd rather have Ronnie on there twice.

I support this decision <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

I assume they picked Ronnie and Williams for the background photo part, because Ronnie is defending champion snd Williams is the World Champion.

They're the top two seeds.

Postby eraserhead

Dan-cat wrote:Wilson in state-the-obvious-shocker.

This is one of the best designed snooker posters I've seen. :spot on:

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:I assume they picked Ronnie and Williams for the background photo part, because Ronnie is defending champion snd Williams is the World Champion.

Good detective skills. Those episodes of Monk are paying dividends

Postby Holden Chinaski

Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I assume they picked Ronnie and Williams for the background photo part, because Ronnie is defending champion snd Williams is the World Champion.

Good detective skills. Those episodes of Monk are paying dividends

:chuckle:

Postby Iranu

Thanks for clarifying <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Oh OK - that explains why Ronnie appears twice in the poster.

Is that why Ben Woollaston is not in it?

He was too busy with Tatiana.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

Well, being that you thought he was on twice because he wasn't Murphy. rofl

The real question is why wasn't Williams there twice? #disgrace

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Well, being that you thought he was on twice because he wasn't Murphy. rofl

That's called a joke. Maybe you'll make one someday.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Oh OK - that explains why Ronnie appears twice in the poster.

Is that why Ben Woollaston is not in it?

He was too busy with Tatiana.

Apparently Tatiana is unhappy with Ben's average shoot time.