Post a reply

Re: BetVictor English Open Last 16 !

Postby Chalk McHugh

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Good lad, Mavis. :hatoff:

Perhaps he could give Ronnie some tips on how to deal with Higgins.

Now that Higgo is also out, only Trump or Day might stand in ROS's way of defending his title.
Congrats Mavis :clap: :hatoff:

On a serious note, why don't Ronnie fans want him to play good players? Great if he wins this but isn't it better to do it by beating decent players?

The Numpties are out of the way. Quarter finals and better their always good players so cant avoid them really. I dont mind who he plays once he wins.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Cloud Strife wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Iranu wrote:In my opinion the drug wars will only have a chance of ending if drugs are legalised. *

There always has been and always will be a market for drugs and if that market isn't satiated by authorised, legal vendors then it will be by criminals.

* I'm not necessarily advocating legalisation (although I do agree with it in many cases)

True. I had to exam my conscience over my habitual cocaine habit. Not just the physical, mental and financial damage it has done to me. But adding to and playing a tiny part in this horrific drug world. I look at Borderland Beat and see the damage this drug use has done. As a result i havent touched it in a long time and wont be going near it again. Im ashamed over my usage and it sickens me to think of it. Enough is enough. Mugs game. Thugs game.

What's Borderland Beat? A television programme?

An English website following the Mexican drug wars for the last 10+ years.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Now that Higgo is also out, only Trump or Day might stand in ROS's way of defending his title.

On a serious note, why don't Ronnie fans want him to play good players? Great if he wins this but isn't it better to do it by beating decent players?

Are you saying Mavis is not a good player?

No - I just was not sure why Ronnie fans rubbish themselves if he faces a decent player and yet say how amazing he is. I do think he is amazing, but beating great players makes wins more memorable.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Ideally, I'd like him to face the very best and demolish them. In the real world however, he can't play at his best all the time. And in this tourney, apart from the maxi, he hasn't been anywhere near his best. His tinkering with his technique is one of the reasons.
And since he's not at his best, he's vulnerable. So the easier the opponent he faces, the better. I want him to best Hendry's record of ranking events won as soon as possible. That's my view on the situation, hope that helps.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I want Ronnie to play top players. Yesterday's match would have been rubbish if it weren't for the maxi. His others have been rubbish.

I only get nervous when he plays Higgins or Selby because everyone else on tour he's more likely to beat than to lose.

I reaaaaally want a Ronnie-Williams clash in a big match this season. Please snooker gods!

Postby Cloud Strife

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Iranu wrote:In my opinion the drug wars will only have a chance of ending if drugs are legalised. *

There always has been and always will be a market for drugs and if that market isn't satiated by authorised, legal vendors then it will be by criminals.

* I'm not necessarily advocating legalisation (although I do agree with it in many cases)

True. I had to exam my conscience over my habitual cocaine habit. Not just the physical, mental and financial damage it has done to me. But adding to and playing a tiny part in this horrific drug world. I look at Borderland Beat and see the damage this drug use has done. As a result i havent touched it in a long time and wont be going near it again. Im ashamed over my usage and it sickens me to think of it. Enough is enough. Mugs game. Thugs game.

What's Borderland Beat? A television programme?

An English website following the Mexican drug wars for the last 10+ years.

Ah yeah, I remember now. I hadn't been on that website for ages, I'd forgotten all about it.

Postby TheRocket

If it was the World Championship I'd agree with BSP. It'd be clearly more special if he lets say beat Higgins and Selby along the way. This one however I don't really care if he only did face weaker opponents.

And once you get an easy draw you have the make the most out it.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Ideally, I'd like him to face the very best and demolish them. In the real world however, he can't play at his best all the time. And in this tourney, apart from the maxi, he hasn't been anywhere near his best. His tinkering with his technique is one of the reasons.
And since he's not at his best, he's vulnerable. So the easier the opponent he faces, the better. I want him to best Hendry's record of ranking events won as soon as possible. That's my view on the situation, hope that helps.

It clarifies that you think he would lose to better players. Wanting him to win by avoiding good players seems strange to me. I wanted Ding to win in the 2017 WC but was delighted when he met Selby as it would be a great match. As it was Ding lost, but it stands in the memory. O'Sullivan beating Taylor and Sharav will not.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

I want Ronnie to play top players. Yesterday's match would have been rubbish if it weren't for the maxi. His others have been rubbish.

I only get nervous when he plays Higgins or Selby because everyone else on tour he's more likely to beat than to lose.

I reaaaaally want a Ronnie-Williams clash in a big match this season. Please snooker gods!

ROS would probably end up winning that. He's Willo's boogeyman in the same way Higgo is his.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Ronnie has a great H2H v Williams. I get the feeling Mark is in awe of the Rocket. Only one winner there.

Postby eraserhead

It's a shame Judd and |Ronnie are in the same half, although Ryan Day is playing weell here.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:It clarifies that you think he would lose to better players. Wanting him to win by avoiding good players seems strange to me. I wanted Ding to win in the 2017 WC but was delighted when he met Selby as it would be a great match. As it was Ding lost, but it stands in the memory. O'Sullivan beating Taylor and Sharav will not.

I don't necessarily think that he'd loose to better players, but the chances of that happening are a hell of a lot bigger than the chances of him losing to a numpty. Like I said, he doesn't look 100% at the moment. Then again, he didn't need to be cause nobody pushed him. It's a normal tendency to relax when u meet inferior players.

As 4 standing out in people's memory, that rarely happens. Selbo is the best example of that. He's won some tourneys where he played rubbish and should have even lost in the first round. Yet nobody remembers that, you just see the number of trophies he's won.
The average Joe doesn't know the fact that Jimmy bottled 2 WC finals against Hendry, or that Hendry beat a bum like Bond in the other. They just see that Hendry has 7 WC titles, and in the end that's probably the most important thing.
ROS beat Dave Harold in the final of the 2008 NI Open, yet few remember that.
Same goes for any other player for that matter.

So if ROS wins this by beating bums, he'll have 34 rankers. If he wins it by beating top players, he'll still have 34 rankers. I just want him to win it.
Last edited by Johnny Bravo on 18 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Ronnie has a great H2H v Williams. I get the feeling Mark is in awe of the Rocket. Only one winner there.

I think it would be a different proposition with MJW's recaptured form and confidence. I think it would be a good match and I want them to meet in a final while they're both at the top of their games.

Postby TheRocket

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Ronnie could still meet some top players in the semis and in the final.

Would love to see him play Carter in the final.

I'd like to see Ronnie vs Carter in the boxing ring.

Postby vodkadiet

Congrats to O'Sullivan for making it through to Saturday's semis. He has had to beat some real top class talent to get there. He so craves another English Open title. He will surely be remembered for his haul of English Open titles. If he can continue to avoid top 32 players he should be okay.....

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:It clarifies that you think he would lose to better players. Wanting him to win by avoiding good players seems strange to me. I wanted Ding to win in the 2017 WC but was delighted when he met Selby as it would be a great match. As it was Ding lost, but it stands in the memory. O'Sullivan beating Taylor and Sharav will not.

I don't necessarily think that he'd loose to better players, but the chances of that happening are a hell of a lot bigger than the chances of him losing to a numpty. Like I said, he doesn't look 100% at the moment. Then again, he didn't need to be cause nobody pushed him. It's a normal tendency to relax when u meet inferior players.

As 4 standing out in people's memory, that rarely happens. Selbo is the best example of that. He's won some tourneys where he played rubbish and should have even lost in the first round. Yet nobody remembers that, you just see the number of trophies he's won. Same goes for Hendry or for any other player for that matter. The average Joe doesn't know the fact that Jimmy bottled 2 WC finals against Hendry, or that Hendry beat a bum like Bond in the other. They just see that Hendry has 7 WC titles, and in the end that's probably the most important thing.

So if ROS wins this by beating bums, he'll have 34 rankers. If he wins it by beating top players, he'll still have 34 rankers. I just want him to win it.

I do understand your point but it depresses me a tad. No need for glory - just numbers. That is in no way a criticism and I am probably at fault for wanting players to have to really earn a ranker. He can only beat what is put in front of him I suppose.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I do understand your point but it depresses me a tad. No need for glory - just numbers. That is in no way a criticism and I am probably at fault for wanting players to have to really earn a ranker. He can only beat what is put in front of him I suppose.

Like I said, ideally I'd like him to play superb and destroy the likes of Selbo, Higgo and Trump.
But he has given us countless memorable moments throughout his career. So I'll settle for a win without much glory this time. <cool>

Postby eraserhead

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Trump flops yet again.

Your predictions have been rubbish tonight

rofl

Higgins did nick that frame. :john: