Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Round 1 : Mark Selby v Stephen Maguire

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:What i will say is Selby hard to beat when hes playing rubbish so when the breaks go in its 10 times harder

For Ronnie or Trump (Selbys next opponent) it actually might not be. I think a heavy scoring and more agressive Selby who wins his frames in one visit is a much better match up for them than the slower and tactical one who struggles to make big breaks and therefore makes it scrappy.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:What i will say is Selby hard to beat when hes playing rubbish so when the breaks go in its 10 times harder

For Ronnie or Trump (Selbys next opponent) it actually might not be. I think a heavy scoring and more agressive Selby who wins his frames in one visit is a much better match up for them than the slower and tactical one who struggles to make big breaks and therefore makes it scrappy.

He can do both in one Match

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Wow.

Nobody beats Selby on this form.

Can he maintain it though?

Very impressive from Selbo, but don't get carried away. He scored great, but Mags also gifted him too many easy starters and didn't punish Selbo when he had the chance.
Also, peak ROS is still superior.

I disagree.

An out of form Selby ran ROS very close and only lost on a fluke just recently.

Top form Selby beats ROS in longer format especially.

Selby was out of form at the NI?

Postby TheSaviour

Seems like Selbo was okay. Sorry if that sounds rude. Just personally can´t see even a performance like you guys told it was as a that much significant, as the momentums do switch, and the way Luca Brecel has now highly impressed me. Just interesting when Selby did start to beat everyone straight up. I still see it was slightly different than this seemingly was. A bit less mature playing, to be honest with you. But fair play to him, obviously a great performance still. Just that Stephen has still been a bit rusty, even when he´s back to play now.

Just personally felt first time was gathering something significant and which will snowball before the people around has... I was a one, or a two or a thousand step(s) ahead of them. Really, just the first time that has happened. So I am not that much significant. I never will be a celebrity. Or a bi-sexual.

Has been a shocking to notice the internet have become a THREAT TO CHILDREN. Not a friend or a competitor but a THREAT TO CHILDREN. Well well, a funny old game. Let´s just still try to keep the "boss" satisfied. HappyLuckyGo.

Gary who ???? Anymore. Forget it now! Or Sousa who ???? Anymore. Lost his leading thought so consistently that it is almost joke. But just almost. Or is it a joke ? No it isn´t, but should it make me to laugh? Just like this Mark´s playing?

Postby clm

Watching the Eurosport after match interview, Foulds sounded like he'd fit in here. Like he was just barely keeping from shouting DECLINE! <laugh>
McManus saying Selby didn't *need* a win, just a performance (even though he did both), and it proved he was back.
But Foulds countered by saying Selby hadn't proved anything, unless he beats Trump, he's not gonna say he's back.
And Murray ended it with "anyone who thought the World #1 was past his sell-by date" which yeah, just a dumb pun joke. But still :roll:

I just wonder what the casuals (if there are casual snooker fans :p) might think, with this focus on being a 'no-show' since 2017. But he has won an event! But he lost to a nobody! But he's still world #1! But he hasn't won a major in years! But (maybe) he's on form now! :hyper:

So, when does the chat about Selby declining rather than just being streaky or occasionally out of form start? rofl
There was chat in 2012 about waiting for Murphy, Selby, and Robbo to decline so Trump, Allen, and Ding could dominate haha.
Allen did have a good year and Murphy a really poor one. :chin: :chuckle:

(Or is Decline no longer everyone's favorite word? I hope this is coming across as a joke not serious commentary.)

Also as an aside Selby's intro video was very awful. That stark lighting throwing all those shadows on his face made him look old and very tired.
(Maguire had one of the better ones, he just looked like a regular bloke in it, even with the super close up dramatic shots. At least it didn't make him look ugly)

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Wow.

Nobody beats Selby on this form.

Can he maintain it though?

Very impressive from Selbo, but don't get carried away. He scored great, but Mags also gifted him too many easy starters and didn't punish Selbo when he had the chance.
Also, peak ROS is still superior.

I disagree.

An out of form Selby ran ROS very close and only lost on a fluke just recently.

Top form Selby beats ROS in longer format especially.

Are u implying that Selbo has a higher peak than ROS ?!???

Yes sir.

I respect your opinion but think you have psychiatric problems nonetheless