Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Final : Ronnie O'Sullivan v Judd Trump

Postby Holden Chinaski

Judd played brilliant, can't deny that. But we've been here before, Judd beats Ronnie and it's the passing of the torch... Everyone expects Judd to start winning World Championships and dominate, and in the end, nothing happens. Judd's 29 now so that's a good time to win the Worlds. We'll see... It's nice to see beating Ronnie is still such a big thing, even when Ronnie's already 43. People are acting like Judd just won 5 World Championships in a row... He won the Masters, that's a big achievement, and he played great, but I'm not sure he'll be the new "king".

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:Judd played brilliant, can't deny that. But we've been here before, Judd beats Ronnie and it's the passing of the torch... Everyone expects Judd to start winning World Championships and dominate, and in the end, nothing happens. Judd's 29 now so that's a good time to win the Worlds. We'll see... It's nice to see beating Ronnie is still such a big thing, even when Ronnie's already 43. People are acting like Judd just won 5 World Championships in a row... He won the Masters, that's a big achievement, and he played great, but I'm not sure he'll be the new "king".

With the greatest respect Holden I don't think anybody has said anything more than Judd played well and might finally win a WC. I think everyone has been measured.

Unless I missed it I don't recall everyone expecting Judd to dominate. :shrug:

My comment above - the king is dead... -- was just a comment meant to indicate that everyone thinks the world will end when one king goes but in fact it has little impact and life goes on. It may not be now - it may not be five years but snooker will barely notice Ronnie leaving just as with ever player before.I could have explained it better but that is what the phrase generally indicates.

Postby Holden Chinaski

BSP, the phrase "The King is dead..." means that one ruler is gone, but a new ruler is there to take over. So I was under the impression you were saying Ronnie's days are over, and now Judd will dominate. That's what the phrase means. Are you being passive-aggressive again?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:BSP, the phrase "The King is dead..." means that one ruler is gone, but a new ruler is there to take over. So I was under the impression you were saying Ronnie's days are over, and now Judd will dominate. That's what the phrase means. Are you being passive-aggressive again?

No Holden - you are being over sensitive sir. Nobody has said Judd will dominate.

That was not the intention of the phrase. It was in response to DC's previous post about the King having his ass handed to him by Judd.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:BSP, the phrase "The King is dead..." means that one ruler is gone, but a new ruler is there to take over. So I was under the impression you were saying Ronnie's days are over, and now Judd will dominate. That's what the phrase means. Are you being passive-aggressive again?

No Holden - you are being over sensitive sir. Nobody has said Judd will dominate.

That was not the intention of the phrase. It was in response to DC's previous post about the King having his ass handed to him by Judd.

There's only one way to interpret "The king is dead..." I'm not being sensitive, I'm just saying I'm not sure Judd will be the one to dominate. He might be.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Judd played brilliant, can't deny that. But we've been here before, Judd beats Ronnie and it's the passing of the torch... Everyone expects Judd to start winning World Championships and dominate, and in the end, nothing happens. Judd's 29 now so that's a good time to win the Worlds. We'll see... It's nice to see beating Ronnie is still such a big thing, even when Ronnie's already 43. People are acting like Judd just won 5 World Championships in a row... He won the Masters, that's a big achievement, and he played great, but I'm not sure he'll be the new "king".

Judd played brilliant, won a big title, ROS had a bad day, end of story.

Judd might win more tournaments on a regular basis, only time will tell, but ROS will still be around winning titles, and hopefully at least one more WC.

I'm not saying anyone here suggested it, but if they think its passing of the torch then I've heard this way back since Judd beat Ronnie at this very same tournament in 2012...

Postby Andre147

Ash147 wrote:Ronnie has always won the World Championship the same year he loses to Judd at the Masters.

<laugh> yes if you put that way.

The pattern that is quite interesting is Ronnie has always won the World Championship everytime MJW was defending champion.

Postby TheRocket

A passing of the torch usually means that the next player or next generation manages to overtake or surpass the older one in terms of standard of play and titles. A 20 year old Hendry beat prime Davis in the 1989 UK final , followed up by winning the World title in 1990 and then beat Davis again in the UK final the same year. And obviously end up having a greater career and playing the game to a higher level than Davis did.

Similar to Tennis when Federer beat Sampras at WImbledon in 2001 and went on to break all of his records and played the game to a higher level

From what I've seen is that Trump is almost 30 and just won his second major after having won the last 7 years ago. He'll not even achieve half of the success O'Sullivan has had in his career. He hasnt played Snooker to a higher level than prime ROS either.

I'm not even sure if Trump will be an All-Time Great. He's not even surpassed players like Neil Robertson or Ding Junhui yet.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:A passing of the torch usually means that the next player or next generation manages to overtake or surpass the older one in terms of standard of play and titles. A 20 year old Hendry beat prime Davis in the 1989 UK final , followed up by winning the World title in 1990 and then beat Davis again in the UK final the same year. And obviously end up having a greater career and playing the game to a higher level than Davis did.

Similar to Tennis when Federer beat Sampras at WImbledon in 2001 and went on to break all of his records and played the game to a higher level

From what I've seen is that Trump is almost 30 and just won his second major after having won the last 7 years ago. He'll not even achieve half of the success O'Sullivan has had in his career. He hasnt played Snooker to a higher level than prime ROS either.

I'm not even sure if Trump will be an All-Time Great. He's not even surpassed players like Neil Robertson or Ding Junhui yet.

Yes that's it really... and the examples you gave are perfect.

Postby Raphael98

I was away for holiday during most of the Masters (after the first two or three days), so didn't have a chance to watch the semis or finals. Since Trump won convicingly, an absolute well done to him (if a bit late). Now, about him and O'Sullivan, many people (including some on here) said that neither one or another (or both) would win the Worlds (for Judd, the first time) or (for Ronnie, the sixth) ever.

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I thought O'Sullivan had his ass kicked kicked really hard last week but Nadal had his ass kicked even harder today!!!

Tennis. :bird:

"These are the numbers that matter." Hazel Irvine.

<doh>

I wish people would stop comparing Snooker to Tennis.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

vodkadiet wrote:I thought O'Sullivan had his ass kicked kicked really hard last week but Nadal had his ass kicked even harder today!!!

I agree that the gap between Judd and Ronnie was huge in all areas of the game throughout this match.

However, although this was something of a humiliation for Ronnie, you should stop crowing about it Vodka as Ronnie will just as likely hand one back to Judd some day soon.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I agree that the gap between Judd and Ronnie was huge in all areas of the game throughout this match.

However, although this was something of a humiliation for Ronnie, you should stop crowing about it Vodka as Ronnie will just as likely hand one back to Judd some day soon.

I think the match is best thought of as one at the end of a week where Judd played really well all week and Ronnie played played indifferently at best. Ronnie arguably did well just to make it to the final, given the mediocre status of his play.

Postby vodkadiet

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Compare ambassadors for their respective sports. Djokovic immaculate; and O'Sullivan... well.... errrr.. 'least said soonest mended'....

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Compare ambassadors for their respective sports. Djokovic immaculate; and O'Sullivan... well.... errrr.. 'least said soonest mended'....

I don’t think Sullivan is a good ambassador, but I wouldn’t be so sure about Djokovic either, truth be told.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I don’t think Sullivan is a good ambassador, but I wouldn’t be so sure about Djokovic either, truth be told.

Define 'good ambassador'.

Personally, I think Ronnie has been tremendous for snooker and has done far more for the sport than anyone else probably has in the last 30 years.
Last edited by Cloud Strife on 28 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.