Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Snooker Shoot out !!

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:I'm sure this event is great to watch when you are at the venue, but watching it on the TV is pretty dull, there's just not enough to get embroiled in it.

I wonder what television viewing figures are like for this.

Sky Sports dropped it after a few years, as did ITV 4.

They can't be that brilliant, can they? Or maybe it's just because ITV 4 wanted to prioritise horse racing on Saturday afternoons, and that doesn't really fit round the Shoot Out schedule?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I think Georgiou has a brilliant chance to beat the famed Shootout Curse.

The famed curse you just invented?

Yes, that one :-D

Is about as real as the Crucible curse!

Did you invent that as well? :shock:

Postby HustleKing

An absolute disgrace that Alan McManus is commentating for Eurosport for this. Bad enough that him, Doherty and Ebdon have the arrogance to play in an event covered solely by Eurosport. They should all be sacked by the BBC and more air time should be given to Dennis and Smurph, who both have the decency to never betray the Beeb.

It is at this point that I would like to confirm this post is sarcastic, for those in doubt/unaware :roll:

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:Being a ranking event is a bit much, but that aside it's a good bit of fun and someone can make a bit of money out of it.

Harmless fun and it's an atmosphere unlike any other tournament, the players don't seem to be complaining.

I explain this every year, so I'm probably boring people.

But my problem with this event is it's ranking status, full stop.

Before, it was an event that could be watched and ignored due to personal taste.

I was never much of a fan, but it's existence doesn't bother me.

I do however have a huge problem with the fact that it it's a ranking event. It'd be like World Snooker's annual golf day affecting players rank.

If they made it invitational again, I'd have no complaint.

Yeah I tend to repeat myself too but its true, my main problem is its ranking status.

A thing thats not proper snooker should just be a bit of fun.

I still watch it, but if it was up to me I'd remove the ranking status.

Postby SnookerFan

HustleKing wrote:An absolute disgrace that Alan McManus is commentating for Eurosport for this. Bad enough that him, Doherty and Ebdon have the arrogance to play in an event covered solely by Eurosport. They should all be sacked by the BBC and more air time should be given to Dennis and Smurph, who both have the decency to never betray the Beeb.

It is at this point that I would like to confirm this post is sarcastic, for those in doubt/unaware :roll:

Who was it aimed at? What users think BBC commentators shouldn't play elsewhere?

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:Being a ranking event is a bit much, but that aside it's a good bit of fun and someone can make a bit of money out of it.

Harmless fun and it's an atmosphere unlike any other tournament, the players don't seem to be complaining.

I explain this every year, so I'm probably boring people.

But my problem with this event is it's ranking status, full stop.

Before, it was an event that could be watched and ignored due to personal taste.

I was never much of a fan, but it's existence doesn't bother me.

I do however have a huge problem with the fact that it it's a ranking event. It'd be like World Snooker's annual golf day affecting players rank.

If they made it invitational again, I'd have no complaint.

Yeah I tend to repeat myself too but its true, my main problem is its ranking status.

A thing thats not proper snooker should just be a bit of fun.

I still watch it, but if it was up to me I'd remove the ranking status.

I wasn't a big fan anyway, so it's probably a fake protest.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Hearn admitted on Twitter the other day he did it for PR. (The ranking status.) And here you are still banging on about it.

Did he?

Yeah, that's probably obvious.

I do blame myself for keep biting.

Unless it's his way of stopping people talking about it.

Postby HappyCamper

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Little Ben Mertens won.

He (14) beat Wattana (49). That's quite an age gap.

Postby Cloud Strife

HappyCamper wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Little Ben Mertens won.

He (14) beat Wattana (49). That's quite an age gap.

I wonder what the biggest ever age gap between two competitors is apart from Ronnie and Fred.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:Didn't Murphy do punditry for Eurosport a month or so ago?

Probably. They are all almost certainly free lance / self employed. BBC pretty much require it nowadays for tax reasons.