Post a reply

Coral Tour Championship Quarter Finals !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 19th - Sunday 24th of March at Venue Cymru, Llandudno, North Wales

A Brand new tournaments with Long Matches Best of 17, Best of 19 and a Best of 25 frame final. 3 Session finals was a thing on ITV in the 80s the last 3 session best of 25 frames Final took place at the British Open in 1989 Tony Meo beating Dean Raynolds 13-6.

30 years has past since then and Snooker fans everywhere looking forward to this 8 Players taking part the top 8 Money earners this season however 7 of the 8 are also in the top 8 of the official World Rankings with John Higgins missing out and Stuart Bingham getting his chance.

Some tasty looking matches to look forward to and some interesting questions. This Week Mark Selby could lose his no 1 ranking for the first time since he replaced Ding Junhui as World no 1 in February 2015 with Both Mark Williams and Ronnie O'Sullivan in a strong position to overhaul him.

Who will reach the Semi Finals?

DRAW

Quarter Finals
Mark Allen v Kyren Wilson Wilson leads 8-5
Neil Robertson v Mark Selby Selby leads 18-11
----------------------------------------
Judd Trump v Mark J Williams Trump leads 15-6
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Stuart Bingham O'Sullivan leads 15-3

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Coral Tour Championship Quarter Finals !!

Postby Johnny Bravo

D4P wrote:I'm expecting a good run from Selby. The long format should suit him, and his first-round opponent has a new baby...

I hope u are wrong and he loses in the first round.
Go Robbo :mosh:

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:
eraserhead wrote:Setting up the prediction comp now. Is this a two table event first round?

Yes.

:hatoff:

Shame about that.

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
eraserhead wrote:Setting up the prediction comp now. Is this a two table event first round?

Yes.

:hatoff:

Shame about that.

I agree.

I had assumed all matches would be televised.

Postby Andre147

Great tournament, I also reckon Selby will have a good tournament, he knows his number 1 spot is at stake so that might spur him on.

Regarding Ron... said he would win either this or the event before... well he won the latter so something tells me he wont win this one but we shall see.

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:Regarding Ron... said he would win either this or the event before... well he won the latter so something tells me he wont win this one but we shall see.

Ronnie hasn't won consecutive events very often in his career. He'll probably be a bit burnt out after the Players Championship, and he doesn't like the longer formats. Part of me feels like he might decide to "save himself" for the Crucible and not give 100% to the Tour Championship...

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:Ronnie hasn't won consecutive events very often in his career.

DECLINE!

Haven't quite figured out yet what "decline" means around here. Does it mean

1. "I disagree with what was said"
2. "I don't like what was said"
3. Other

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

DECLINE!

3. Other

It's a joke referencing the various times over the years that people have predicted that Ronnie is entering a decline.

Postby Cloud Strife

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

DECLINE!

3. Other

All of the above.

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

DECLINE!

3. Other

It's just a kind of an unfunny running joke I have. A few people were predicting Ronnie's decline some years back.

So I pretend every time he misses a shot, loses the coin toss, doesn't make a 155 in every frame etc that he's declined.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

DECLINE!

3. Other

It's just a kind of an unfunny running joke I have. A few people were predicting Ronnie's decline some years back.

So I pretend every time he misses a shot, loses the coin toss, doesn't make a 155 in every frame etc that he's declined.

Decline!

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:It's just a kind of an unfunny running joke I have. A few people were predicting Ronnie's decline some years back.

Gotcha. I hadn't picked up on it being specifically related to Ronnie...

Postby masterdoctorgenius

D4P wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Regarding Ron... said he would win either this or the event before... well he won the latter so something tells me he wont win this one but we shall see.

Ronnie hasn't won consecutive events very often in his career. He'll probably be a bit burnt out after the Players Championship, and he doesn't like the longer formats. Part of me feels like he might decide to "save himself" for the Crucible and not give 100% to the Tour Championship...

He has a one month break till the WC after that. He should treat it as his last oppurtunity to gain confidence against the very top players. He could meet Trump in the semis and that would be a good benchmark where Ronnie really stands againdt players who had the better of him the last tine around

And why should he be burnt out. The players champ wasnt a long tournament. And had a one week off since then.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

DECLINE!

3. Other

Decline!

CHICKEN MADRAS!

Postby D4P

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
D4P wrote:He has a one month break till the WC after that. He should treat it as his last oppurtunity to gain confidence against the very top players. He could meet Trump in the semis and that would be a good benchmark where Ronnie really stands againdt players who had the better of him the last tine around

And why should he be burnt out. The players champ wasnt a long tournament. And had a one week off since then.

I think Ronnie's performance at the Players Championship probably gave him all the confidence he needs, assuming that he was lacking it going into the event (which he might not have been). As for being burnt out, winning a tournament (even a short one) takes energy, with all of the spotlight and interviews and such. Plus, he got a lot of extra attention because of the 1,000th century. I tend to think that being in the spotlight saps Ronnie's energy...

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

3. Other

Decline!

CHICKEN MADRAS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt3Gvdu9mtM

Postby D4P

masterdoctorgenius wrote:So Ronnie gets the in form player Bingham to play against in the first round. Danger.

Bingham is arguably the easiest player in the field for Ronnie to beat in the first round

Postby Koninkaulus

The seventeen ranking events already played this season have been won by eleven different players. Three of them, namely Jimmy Robertson, Thepchaiya Un-Nooh and Matthew Selt, were first-time winners, but none of those three ultimately came very close to qualifying for the Tour Championship.

The other eight ranking event winners of the season make up the field in Llandudno. Selby and Williams have won one title each in 2018/2019, while six players have managed two victories. The player coming closest to qualifying without a ranking win was David Gilbert, who would be there had he reached his third final of the season in Gibraltar (a final that he could've of course won).

Personally, none of my favourites made it into this event. Of the players present, I hope Selby wins.