Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Sat April 20th) Last 32 !!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I wonder if Maguire is happy with his career?

I guess not but only himself to blame. I think he could have had the same amount of success like Murphy had. I say Murphy because he's been his peer and they were rivals. And Maguire definitely looked as talented as Murphy did.

Definitely himself to blame. I have heard he still goes out on the snake hiss until the early hours on nights before matches.

He might be happy enough though as not all people are ambitious to be no1. He definitely could have been.

He might be an alcoholic?

Well he might be but that does seem a bit speculative.

Certainly I have no evidence for that.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I wonder if Maguire is happy with his career?

I guess not but only himself to blame. I think he could have had the same amount of success like Murphy had. I say Murphy because he's been his peer and they were rivals. And Maguire definitely looked as talented as Murphy did.

Definitely himself to blame. I have heard he still goes out on the snake hiss until the early hours on nights before matches.

He might be happy enough though as not all people are ambitious to be no1. He definitely could have been.

He might be an alcoholic?

Nah, he's Scottish. This is normal stuff for them.

Postby Ck147

two matches to watch tomorrow evening, one will probably be over in 10 mins and the other one might be quite tension filled...can't wait!

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Lemnas wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Willo wins 10-7.
I am the king of predictions. :dance2: :ba: :ba: :ba:

I predicted that as well.

Me too.

Oh no. I just checked my predictions. I said 10-6. <doh>

rofl rofl rofl

Johnny this has not been your best day

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Lemnas wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Willo wins 10-7.
I am the king of predictions. :dance2: :ba: :ba: :ba:

I predicted that as well.

Me too.

Oh no. I just checked my predictions. I said 10-6. <doh>

rofl rofl rofl

Johnny this has not been your best day

U can say that again. :-( :sad:

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:Mags 5-4 down then...

Can see him losing this match in a decider... it's nothing new for him, he's lost more first round deciders here than anyone else.

If there is one sure thing in Snooker - it's Stephen Maguire losing 10-9 in the first round as a seed.

On a serious note, a stat I heard said that Maguire has only won two matches here in the last six years - and it was 2012 the last time he won his first round match when seeded.

Postby PLtheRef

Here is the very first table of the 2019 World Championship prediction contest. These will be updated each day that a match concludes - with an extra update in the event that a result comes in on a day where no matches are scheduled to finish (e.g. matches being won by a session to spare). Any bonuses will be added/subtracted from the table as the World Championship progresses.

Early days of course but of 27 entries, 25 went for wins for Williams, with 11 going 10-7 leading to an early 11 way tie at the top of the Leaderboard.

Day 1 Table (1/31 Matches)

10 Holden Chinaski 1 - 1
10 SteveJJ 1 - 1
10 Nice_Shoes_Ken 1 - 1
10 GJ 1 - 1
10 Slowjoe 1 - 1
10 Iranu 1 - 1
10 SavoMilosevic 2WC 1 - 1
10 PLtheRef 1 - 1
10 Happycamper 1 - 1
10 Dan-Cat 1 - 1
10 Lemnas 1 - 1

8 Alex0Paul 1 - 0
8 Krazeeyekilla 1 - 0
8 Andre147 1 - 0
8 Snookerfan 1 - 0
8 Cloud Strife 1 - 0
8 Sundaygirl 1 - 0
8 Johnny Bravo 1 - 0
8 Eraserhead 1 - 0
8 Wildey 1 - 0
8 Deewee 1 - 0
8 TheCleaver 1 - 0
8 Raphael98 1 - 0
6 Aimlesswandeer 1 - 0
6 Pink Ball 1 - 0
0 Vodkadiet 0 - 0
0 Badsnookerplayer 0 - 0

Postby Vallomas

PLtheRef wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Mags 5-4 down then...

Can see him losing this match in a decider... it's nothing new for him, he's lost more first round deciders here than anyone else.

If there is one sure thing in Snooker - it's Stephen Maguire losing 10-9 in the first round as a seed.

On a serious note, a stat I heard said that Maguire has only won two matches here in the last six years - and it was 2012 the last time he won his first round match when seeded.

Yep, he reached the quarter finals in 2017, with victories over McGill and McLeod.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
SavoMilosevic wrote:Did you watch MJW's press conference? Very interesting...

What did he say?

https://youtu.be/Kn1DYf72zdQ

Pretty scathing towards World Snooker.

Interesting, he may not be my favourite player but bad form about not letting his kid in, and some of the treatment he's been getting. He does deserve respect for his position, he's earned it.

Only thing I can think of is WS is trying to steer clear of guys who do the drinking and kebabs (like the old days) and are trying to promote a more professional sport for sponsors???

The PC world we are now in...for better or worse.
Last edited by Ck147 on 21 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ck147

eraserhead wrote:
carayip wrote:It’s true. I remember someone post a report saying last year’s final session had the lowest rating ever. Interestingly Selby’s 2017 win reportedly had one of the best ratings. Love him or hate him, Selby does draw some people

I want to see proof of this.

I can see ratings through work for certain channels, unfortunately BBC isn't easy for me to get hold of as they are a public service broadcaster and don't sell air-time through our system. I've seen a general increase in snooker viewership over the last 3-4 years that I checked on other channels. (I also checked F1 as that was what I was originally looking at - which saw a decline.)

When you get ratings the next day from a producer or someone like that via Twitter, they are not super accurate, they are probably predicted, 1-2 weeks later gives you the best figure which includes the online and catch-up as well, so they usually go up or down a bit. Snooker has gone up on predicted from what I've seen, but I didn't check everything. We're not talking millions more, maybe 10-100,000s more over the last 3-4 years on FTA (Free to air TV).

Ratings work, (someone said they're bolx - can't remember who) they are based on a panel but good enough the industry relies on them and has done for decades, they work on 50% of people, and why ITV make £2bn and Sky £1bn a year in advertising revenue. They just don't know what 50%, so it's broad brush on TV. More scary is the targeted advertising online. I searched for snooker pouches earlier today (one of my earlier posts some of you probably saw) and now every time I go on Amazon guess what comes up in the Ad's, yep that's right, snooker stuff and crotchless panties...effers.