Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Sat May 4th) Semi-Finals !!

Postby snooker_loopy

What if they switched the WC to the start of a season not at the end? That might improve the standard. Allow the players a bigger break before the start of a new season - they'll all be fresh - could increase the standard.

It's worth noting this may be a poor standard tournament and yet the most centuries made record will be broken. Go figure!

Postby Pink Ball

snooker_loopy wrote:Apart from missing a lot of balls, he's rolling.

Not to be unduly harsh, but these might be the worst semi-finals we've seen for quite some time. The Higgins/Gilbert match is very poor quality and not a great advert for the WC. I fear the final won't be high quality neither although I suspect Judd will win. It feels a bit like they've played too much snooker. In terms of concentration levels you see how all four players are struggling.

It’s not too much snooker. I’ve seen plenty high-quality snooker at this stage in this past. The problem nowadays is that the younger players don’t have the concentration of players of the past. Those older players such as Higgins and Williams are still making the latter stages on the back of these lower standards, but they’re obviously not playing as well as they did in their prime. Concentration wares with age. It’s what finished Davis, Parrott, White etc. The lowering concentration amongst younger players is keeping the new old fogies in the game.

Don’t reduce the format. Let the young players sort out their own problems.
Last edited by Pink Ball on 04 May 2019, edited 2 times in total.

Postby hendry_fan

Pink Ball wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
Scooper wrote:2013 was pretty bad wasn’t it? I seem to recall everyone except Ronnie and a bit of Barry crapped.

2013 was the worst Championship i've ever seen

Very poor

That was a very poor pink ball there from Gaz,what a miss. :dizzy:

Postby snooker_loopy

Pink Ball wrote:
snooker_loopy wrote:Apart from missing a lot of balls, he's rolling.

Not to be unduly harsh, but these might be the worst semi-finals we've seen for quite some time. The Higgins/Gilbert match is very poor quality and not a great advert for the WC. I fear the final won't be high quality neither although I suspect Judd will win. It feels a bit like they've played too much snooker. In terms of concentration levels you see how all four players are struggling.

It’s not too much snooker. I’ve seen plenty high-quality snooker at this stage in this past. The problem nowadays is that the younger players don’t have the concentration of players of the past. Those older players such as Higgins and Williams are still making the latter stages on the back of these lower standards, but they’re obviously not playing as well as they did in their prime. Concentration wares with age. It’s what finished Davis, Parrott, White etc. The lowering concentration amongst younger players is keeping the new old fogies in the game.

Don’t reduce the format. Let the young players sort out their own problems.

The paradox is this tournament will have the most centuries. You'd think that would be impossible if concentration levels are not as high as in previous years. Look at Higgins last night, could barely make a break over 30 but then make a 143 - the highest of the tournament. It's all a bit strange! I suppose you can kick in the autopilot mode and play on instinct but as we've seen in the semis - it's hard for the players to kick in the autopilot mode. Perhaps the pressure of being one match away from the final is inhibiting their natural game? It does look as if they're a bit tired and need a week's rest.
Last edited by snooker_loopy on 04 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Holden Chinaski

2004 Ronnie was snooker from the gods. Not really fair to compare anything to that. But I agree, this standard now sucks. I'm getting tired of watching it to be honest. I don't want to complain, just saying what I feel. It's like every ten seconds someone misses an easy shot. On a table with huge pockets.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Ash147 wrote:This World Championship further highlights just how brilliant this standard was.

It has been a great championship though

People are entitled to enjoy a turd sandwich if they wish and nobody should judge them for that, but not for me, I'm afraid to say.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Ash147 wrote:This World Championship further highlights just how brilliant this standard was.

Think of all the animals you've ever heard about
Like rhinoceroses and tigers, cats and mink
There are lots of funny animals in all this world
But have you ever seen a panther that is pink?

Think!

A panther that is positively pink

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

People are entitled to enjoy a turd sandwich if they wish and nobody should judge them for that, but not for me, I'm afraid to say.

Some people may even enjoy your posts.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:
Jester82 wrote:ROS 2004 would have trashed ROS 2019.

No doubt. Just like the 1998 Higgins would have trashed the 2019 Higgins.

You could take any of the top 6 or 7 players from the years between 1997-2004 and they would have absolutely walked the championship this year.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Jester82 wrote:ROS 2004 would have trashed ROS 2019.

2004 Ronnie would have beaten every player in this tournament with a session to spare.

Even Ronnie O'Sullivan?

Especially.

It'd be like playing a mirror match in Mortal Kombat.

Postby snooker_loopy

Had Ronnie not been ill in his first match and been playing his B game or even moments of his A game I think he would have gone very far in the tournament. I don't know if he's watching the semis but if he's he could be thinking "I'd beat these four players!"

It's a shame he was ill but you never know how things pan out.

I'd like Judd to win. He's had a great season so I reckon he's a deserving world champion (even if his long game is not quite on form during the tournament).