Post a reply

Re: World Championship 2020 will finish on a working day.

Postby vodkadiet1

The May Day bank holiday in 1995 was changed from May 1st to May 8th to coincide with the 50th anniversary of VE Day. The World Championship finished on Sunday 30th April that year.

Other World Championships to finish on a Sunday were 1982, 1985, and 1990.

They should probably just move the tournament forward a day, ending it on May 3rd.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The 1995 World Championship began on Good Friday and from looking it up 1990 began on that day as well. If it wasn't for the China Open being in such an awkward part of the season they could have done that next year making it run from 10-26 April.

Postby vodkadiet1

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:The 1995 World Championship began on Good Friday and from looking it up 1990 began on that day as well. If it wasn't for the China Open being in such an awkward part of the season they could have done that next year making it run from 10-26 April.

It also started on Good Friday in 1985.

1982 was a strange one. It was the first 17 day Crucible although I think it started in the evening. It actually finished on Sunday May 16. Contrast that to the previous year, when it finished on Easter Monday, 20 April.

Postby vodkadiet1

SteveJJ wrote:I assume they've already sold tickets for the Monday so will be hard to change dates without causing chaos.

It will cause huge logistical problems.

There might be quite a few people ringing in sick that day!

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet1 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:I assume they've already sold tickets for the Monday so will be hard to change dates without causing chaos.

It will cause huge logistical problems.

There might be quite a few people ringing in sick that day!

I feel like there’s more than enough time to book the day off lol

Postby lhpirnie

Yes it's a stupid decision to move a Bank Holiday at such short notice. It should have been announced years ago, if they wanted to do that. A huge number of events take place over Bank Holiday weekends. Many people, including myself, have work schedules that are planned out long in advance. People have booked holidays already, etc.

There is nothing that can be done about it. In terms of World Championship tickets, at least it only effects 980 people...

Postby vodkadiet1

lhpirnie wrote:Yes it's a stupid decision to move a Bank Holiday at such short notice. It should have been announced years ago, if they wanted to do that. A huge number of events take place over Bank Holiday weekends. Many people, including myself, have work schedules that are planned out long in advance. People have booked holidays already, etc.

There is nothing that can be done about it. In terms of World Championship tickets, at least it only effects 980 people...

I don't know why World Snooker are so obsessed with finishing The World Championships on May Day. It wasn't always the case. Initially it finished on a Saturday, and sometimes a Sunday, as well as May Day.

I would rather The World Championships be played earlier. Snooker after all is a winter sport. I would have it in March.

Postby vodkadiet1

SnookerFan wrote:Why can't they just have an extra Bank Holiday instead of moving it?

They should have the first 16 days of The Championship as planned and then have the 2nd day of the final on VE Day.

Postby lhpirnie

vodkadiet1 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:Yes it's a stupid decision to move a Bank Holiday at such short notice. It should have been announced years ago, if they wanted to do that. A huge number of events take place over Bank Holiday weekends. Many people, including myself, have work schedules that are planned out long in advance. People have booked holidays already, etc.

I don't know why World Snooker are so obsessed with finishing The World Championships on May Day. It wasn't always the case. Initially it finished on a Saturday, and sometimes a Sunday, as well as May Day.

I would rather The World Championships be played earlier. Snooker after all is a winter sport. I would have it in March.

It's not so much an obsession. They need 17 days to play the matches, and allow for two windows to recloth the tables and make some logistical changes at the venue. It's been this way since the early 1980's, when they increased to 32 players (from 24).

Postby vodkadiet1

lhpirnie wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

It's not so much an obsession. They need 17 days to play the matches, and allow for two windows to recloth the tables and make some logistical changes at the venue. It's been this way since the early 1980's, when they increased to 32 players (from 24).

I think they need to shave 3 days off of The Championships. 14 days is more than enough to find a winner from 32 players. And as I said, I think March would be a better month to play the event.

Postby vodkadiet1

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:I think they need to shave 3 days off of The Championships.

BEHAVE!

Mods, can't you ban this guy for saying stuff like that?

Many would agree. I could easily come up with a far better schedule than the one that is presently used.

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet1 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

BEHAVE!

Many would agree. I could easily come up with a far better schedule than the one that is presently used.

The World Championship is perfect as it is, and needs no changing.

Postby vodkadiet1

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

BEHAVE!

The final day needs to be played on a normal working day.

:-D

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet1 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

BEHAVE!

:-D

Well, that's not the fault of the format though.

Are you actually suggesting we should change the format of the tournament purely because the government moved the bank holiday?

Postby vodkadiet1

Mods, can't you ban this guy for saying stuff like that?[/quote]

Many would agree. I could easily come up with a far better schedule than the one that is presently used.[/quote]

The World Championship is perfect as it is, and needs no changing.[/quote]

Shorten the event and move it to March but make sure it doesn't clash with St Patrick's Day.

:-D[/quote]

Well, that's not the fault of the format though.

Are you actually suggesting we should change the format of the tournament purely because the government moved the bank holiday?[/quote]

Postby mick745

Hang on. Those 980 are the people that are there in person. What about the millions who watch on telly? I dont get in from work until after 7pm usually so i'll miss the entire third session and some of the fourth also.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:Hang on. Those 980 are the people that are there in person. What about the millions who watch on telly? I dont get in from work until after 7pm usually so i'll miss the entire third session and some of the fourth also.

Out of interest, how many millions do watch in the UK? Genuine question.

Bear in mind, the May Bank holiday doesn't affect the European market. Just UK.