Post a reply

Re: Kaspersky Riga Masters !!!

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:Remember when all the Ronnietards were worried that Yan would break Ronnie's youngest ever record?

Some were indeed. But I always had MJW favourite, it was far too long since he had last won a ranker way back in 2011 and I thought that would be his last chance. Bingtao was always having time on his side.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Remember when all the Ronnietards were worried that Yan would break Ronnie's youngest ever record?

Some were indeed. But I always had MJW favourite, it was far too long since he had last won a ranker way back in 2011 and I thought that would be his last chance. Bingtao was always having time on his side.

It wouldn't really have mattered if Yan had won anyway.

It's not like him winning the Northern Ireland Open tarnishes Ronnie's legacy in any way.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Is this the first teenager to win a tournament since Ding in 2006?

Yuan Sijun is still the GOAT teenager though. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Seriously though.

Good to see Yan Bingtao win a ranking event, even a divvy one like Riga He was looking the next big thing at 17, and then faded away a bit.

About time some young players started doing something.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:Seriously though.

Good to see Yan Bingtao win a ranking event, even a divvy one like Riga He was looking the next big thing at 17, and then faded away a bit.

About time some young players started doing something.

He didn't exactly win convincingly, but let's hope it kick starts him. Loved how pumped he was when he won. Not exactly the full-Wenbo, but a semi-Wendy.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:He didn't exactly win convincingly, but let's hope it kick starts him. Loved how pumped he was when he won. Not exactly the full-Wenbo, but a semi-Wendy.

No, but maybe he didn't have to.

Winning breeds confidence, and he knows he can do it now. Sometimes the result is more important than the performance. He'll go into every tournament now as a ranking event winning. Hopefully that confidence will help improve the performances.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:He didn't exactly win convincingly, but let's hope it kick starts him. Loved how pumped he was when he won. Not exactly the full-Wenbo, but a semi-Wendy.

Winning breeds confidence, and he knows he can do it now. Sometimes the result is more important than the performance. He'll go into every tournament now as a ranking event winning. Hopefully that confidence will help improve the performances.

Agreed... We'll see, I hope so.

Didn't realise his official nickname is 'Yan the Man.' Lolz. Surely we can do better than that

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Agreed... We'll see, I hope so.

Didn't realise his official nickname is 'Yan the Man.' Lolz. Surely we can do better than that

They already call Jan Verhaas that. Well, I do anyway.

Spelled differently, but pronounced the same.

At least it's a better nickname than Wenbo Selecta, I guess. <laugh>

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:

Good post, and good point. I like the lad. You can see the quality in his game, and although he’s had what seems like a dip in the last season or so, winning a ranker as a teenager has got to feel good.

It’s such a fickle game though. Maybe moreso in this ‘modern era’. This could be one tournament win of very few, or the first of many. I like his game, I like his approach, so for me at least I hope it’s the latter.

Postby The_Abbott

Mark Joyce will be hoping for more flight cancellations this season so he can get to major finals.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:Mark Joyce will be hoping for more flight cancellations this season so he can get to major finals.

All flights to Sheffield cancelled, Mark Joyce wins The Crucible.

Postby SnookerFan

He's not wrong. They could've taken earlier flights.

Always plan to arrive far too early when travelling long distance. Delays are always possible.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:He's not wrong. They could've taken earlier flights.

Always plan to arrive far too early when travelling long distance. Delays are always possible.

It’s 2 and a half hours, not exactly a long flight.

I don’t think the players should be blamed to be honest, it was a circumstance outside their control.

Yeah you could say they should have flown out earlier but that’s easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.

When you’re going on holiday you don’t fly out a couple of days earlier than your actual holiday.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:It’s 2 and a half hours, not exactly a long flight.

I don’t think the players should be blamed to be honest, it was a circumstance outside their control.

Yeah you could say they should have flown out earlier but that’s easy to say with the benefit of hindsight.

When you’re going on holiday you don’t fly out a couple of days earlier than your actual holiday.

They're flying for work though, rather than a holiday.

I'm not completely blaming them, it's not their fault that the flights got cancelled. But at the same time, flights often get cancelled so travelling the same day is a bit of a risk.

If they were travelling a day or two earlier and couldn't get a flight, I'd probably have more sympathy.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

It wouldn't really have mattered if Yan had won anyway.

It's not like him winning the Northern Ireland Open tarnishes Ronnie's legacy in any way.

Reacords are meant to be broker and Ronnies youngest ever ranking event win will go at some point when you got so many tournaments but Ronnie won the UK, Ronnie won the Masters as the yougest and Stephen Hendry holds the record for the World title now thoes would be impressive if someone was to get them.

Mark Williams was 20 when he won his first title so yan has got the edge on him will he match his career well only time will tell

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:

I'm not completely blaming them, it's not their fault that the flights got cancelled. But at the same time, flights often get cancelled so travelling the same day is a bit of a risk.

If they were travelling a day or two earlier and couldn't get a flight, I'd probably have more sympathy.

If I have a meeting in London say I just fly down in the morning.

Adding an extra nights at hotels etc quickly adds ups. And the prize money is not that high and not guranteed for a lot of these events

Postby Wildey

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

If I have a meeting in London say I just fly down in the morning.

Adding an extra nights at hotels etc quickly adds ups. And the prize money is not that high and not guranteed for a lot of these events

they did not need an extra day all they needed to fly over earler in the day like so many players did. not catch the last available flight with some playing in about 14 hours from the moment they took off.