Post a reply

Re: Shanghai Masters Last 16 !!!

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:Very worrying signs for Selby to lose to a player who virtually has no tactical or Allround game. Selby was eating these players alive 2-3 years ago.

Indeed. His decline has been very rapid since the 2016/17 season, and his victory at the WC that year. It actually reminds me a lot of Ding after the 2013/14 season. He's had a couple of good moments, but he's just not been the same player since then.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:Williams with a great chance to steal the frame

I'd like him to win, but at the same time I wouldn't cause it will mess up my prediction.

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Williams with a great chance to steal the frame

I'd like him to win, but at the same time I wouldn't cause it will mess up my prediction.

He already bottled it by missing a sitter. But got away with it. Safety battle now.

Postby carayip

Ash147 wrote:Williams is another one who has been garbage since his WC win.

Nah Willo just doesn’t practice often so he isn’t as accurate as he used to be. He won the safety battle easily against Murphy and showed fighting qualities. He just missed shots he would normally make

Postby Ash147

carayip wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Williams is another one who has been garbage since his WC win.

Nah Willo just doesn’t practice often so he isn’t as accurate as he used to be. He won the safety battle easily against Murphy and showed fighting qualities. He just missed shots he would normally make

Whether that's the reason or not, he's still been garbage lately.

Postby TheRocket

Even Lisowski now has a positive H2H against Selby. Trump as we know has a 5:0 lead against Selby in bo11 and longer matches.

Does this prove that the younger more agressive Ronnie of the early 00's would have had more success against Selby? Im pretty sure he wouldnt have bottled the 2014 final.

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:Even Lisowski now has a positive H2H against Selby. Trump as we know has a 5:0 lead against Selby in bo11 and longer matches.

Does this prove that the younger more agressive Ronnie of the early 00's would have had more success against Selby? Im pretty sure he wouldnt have bottled the 2014 final.

I do think that Selby has a problem dealing with aggressive players, especially these days. I think when people try to play him at his own game, they just get bogged down, and end up losing. I think the best way to deal with someone like Selby is to blow him off the table, like what Judd does to him.

I think this is what cost Ronnie in 2014. He needed to be more aggressive, but instead he got too involved in the long safety battles. He played right into Selby's hands.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ash147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Even Lisowski now has a positive H2H against Selby. Trump as we know has a 5:0 lead against Selby in bo11 and longer matches.

I do think that Selby has a problem dealing with aggressive players, especially these days. I think when people try to play him at his own game, they just get bogged down, and end up losing. I think the best way to deal with someone like Selby is to blow him off the table, like what Judd does to him.

I think this is what cost Ronnie in 2014. He needed to be more aggressive, but instead he got too involved in the long safety battles. He played right into Selby's hands.

I agree. Ronnie was too cautious.
The big turning point was the missed black when he was leading 10-5. Had he won that frame, he would have had an 11-6 advantage in the worst case scenario. 12-5 and there's no way Selbo is overturning that deficit.

Postby TheRocket

Ash147 wrote:

Fully agree. And this is what cost him a lot of matches against Higgins as well. He tried to be too clever and cautios and allowed Higgins to dictate the match.

He fixed that to a little degree and it paid off.

Postby carayip

Iranu wrote:FFS Willo. That miss in the last frame <doh>

Once it went to a decider I knew he would lose. He lost a lot of deciders and matches from ahead last season as well. In fact since he won WC, he has not been very good in crunch

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Fully agree. And this is what cost him a lot of matches against Higgins as well. He tried to be too clever and cautios and allowed Higgins to dictate the match.

He fixed that to a little degree and it paid off.

I think Robertson has the same problem too. Many times I've seen him overthink things, and get bogged down in slow play and long bouts of safety. I think both Ronnie and Robertson need to take a leaf out of Judd's book, and play their natural games against the likes of Selby. That's not to say they shouldn't play any safety, but there's a time and a place for it.

Postby Iranu

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:Is this tournament on Quest or ITV4?

no

Cheers

If you look up Live Snooker by AGTV on Facebook, they’re showing the tournament on there.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie loves coming to Shanghai.

The sponsors might give him huge appearance money, but he does play really well here.

Its by far the chinese event in which he has most sucess in.

Postby rekoons

6 - 0
six 50+ breaks including 136 and 132
AST of 15.9 secs

hope he's not going kamikaze style every match now...

Postby Iranu

rekoons wrote:6 - 0
six 50+ breaks including 136 and 132
AST of 15.9 secs

hope he's not going kamikaze style every match now...

Nah he wasn’t kamikaze, was just left chances which meant his AST stayed down.