Post a reply

Re: Evergrande China Championship Last 64 + Held Over Matche

Postby Iranu

GeF wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on whether the Shoot-Out should be a ranking event?

Should not. Same for the tour championship (for other reasons).

I used to think the Coral Series shouldn’t be ranking tournaments but Wild and others changed my mind.

Postby Iranu

The fact that everyone has the opportunity to get into them at the start of the season is what convinced me. If it was over 2 seasons like the Masters I feel like that would be different.

I don’t think it really matters though. I’ve never been that bothered about invitationals vs rankers.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:The fact that everyone has the opportunity to get into them at the start of the season is what convinced me. If it was over 2 seasons like the Masters I feel like that would be different.

I don’t think it really matters though. I’ve never been that bothered about invitationals vs rankers.

No I get that, I just feel like it's double rewards.

But it's not something I care enough about to argue.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:The fact that everyone has the opportunity to get into them at the start of the season is what convinced me. If it was over 2 seasons like the Masters I feel like that would be different.

Exactly.

Player ranked 128 has the same chance of getting to the Coral events as the WN1. They just have to be good and consistent enough.

I think its fair for those that are consistent they get a ranking event to reward that.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:

Exactly.

Player ranked 128 has the same chance of getting to the Coral events as the WN1. They just have to be good and consistent enough.

I think its fair for those that are consistent they get a ranking event to reward that.

Dave Gilbert’s a perfect example. Finished 2017-18 in 27th place, ended up qualifying for the Players Championship and almost for the Tour Championship.

Or Yuan Sijun getting to the QFs of the Grand Prix. These players deserve the points, in my opinion.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:

Exactly.

What i would change is the space between them for example Between Players Championship and Tour Championship theres the Gibralter Open and nothing else so it gives players thats not in the players championship no hope of getting in the Tour Championship so if you swap World Grand Prix with Champion of Champions you got 5 rankers to get in to World Grand Prix then play Players Championship in January you got a further 3 rankers to get in that and then Tour Championship after China Open and a further 5 tournament to get in that.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Exactly.

What i would change is the space between them for example Between Players Championship and Tour Championship theres the Gibralter Open and nothing else so it gives players thats not in the players championship no hope of getting in the Tour Championship so if you swap World Grand Prix with Champion of Champions you got 5 rankers to get in to World Grand Prix then play Players Championship in January you got a further 3 rankers to get in that and then Tour Championship after China Open and a further 5 tournament to get in that.

In an ideal world that would be the case.

But we all know its not that easy because the venues are high on demand and its simply not easy to change the schedulle. But I agree that would be the best option.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Exactly.

In an ideal world that would be the case.

But we all know its not that easy because the venues are high on demand and its simply not easy to change the schedulle. But I agree that would be the best option.

of course its not that easy some of these venues has a 5 year or more booked up for different things and im sure Barry Hearn and World Snooker working behind the scene to improve things. it would be pretty embarasing if they are complacent.

Postby SnookerFan

Luca Brecel will return to the scene of the greatest moment of his career so far when he travels to Guangzhou for next week’s Evergrande China Championship, which kicks off on Monday.

The Belgian picked up his maiden and only ranking victory to date in 2017, when he defeated Triple Crown winner Shaun Murphy 10-5 in the final. It was an unforgettable week for Brecel, who also ousted five-time World Champion Ronnie O’Sullivan on his way to the title.

We caught up with the 24-year-old to reflect on that victory…

Luca, it was clearly a very special moment for you in Guangzhou two years ago. What are your main memories of that 10-5 win against Shaun Murphy in the final and getting over the line?

“I actually felt most confident going into the final. I had beaten Shaun in three of the four most recent matches prior to that. So I was quite confident. I always seem to play well against him. I had no idea how I was going to feel once the game actually got underway, but in the end I was just very calm. I think if I win another tournament it would be even more satisfying. I know how it feels now, so I really want to win another one. I look back on that victory and use it as motivation to make it happen again.”

You were 4-1 down against Ronnie O’Sullivan in the quarter-finals and battled back to win 5-4. How important do you think that result was in terms of the confidence it has given you going forward?

“It was big. Ronnie was playing the best snooker of his whole career back then and he is still doing it now. He played well that day, so to come back and beat him was amazing. It wasn’t like I capitalised on an off day. I managed to force the result. I played perfect snooker to come back and beat him, anything else wouldn’t have been good enough. I also knew I would play Li Hang in the semi-finals. No disrespect to him. He is a great player and a good friend, but I felt it was a brilliant opportunity to get to the final. It was a close game, but I did manage to get through. I felt really good going into the final with Shaun, so everything panned out for me that week.”

Did you feel any different in terms of your standing in the sport following lifting the title in Guangzhou?

“I always believed in myself and I always dreamed of being a top 16 player. Now I really feel like I belong at that level. That didn’t maybe come straight after winning the China Championship though. It settled in my mind about a year afterwards when I was still up in the top 16 and still getting results. I feel now as if I am a top player. You need to feel like that if you want to be one. I’m far more disciplined now. I practice every day and I feel as if I am more grounded. I’m enjoying the travelling more than ever. The cue feels good. Everything is going well so I am happy.”

How much do you enjoy travelling to events in China?

“I never really know what to expect from China. Ever since I started going I have just really enjoyed it. I don’t know why. I think it is just because there is just a different atmosphere from Europe. I just like everything about it. The food, the atmosphere and the people. I am always so motivated when trying to qualify for China and I have a very good record in getting through. I am always happy to go.”

http://www.worldsnooker.com/brecel-reca ... u-triumph/

Postby Ash147

The_Abbott wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on whether the Shoot-Out should be a ranking event?

Its a rank event.

There is absolutely no way this should be a ranking event as it can come down to luck.

Could you elaborate on that? I've not heard anyone take this position before.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Anyone have any experience buying tickets for the Chinese events?

Not judging by the crowd size, no.

Theres probably more there every session than you can get in to the Crucible

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Anyone have any experience buying tickets for the Chinese events?

In that case, I suspect a lot of people have experience buying tickets.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

In that case, I suspect a lot of people have experience buying tickets.

The Point i was making was when people talk about the Crucible being too small and we need a bigger venue have a look at some of these Chinese events and realize Bigger isn't better when it comes to a Snooker Venue.