Post a reply

Re: Shanghai Masters Final !!!

Postby Cloud Strife

Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Barry is a frequent visitor to my snooker club.

Other elite professionals that use it include Mavis, Georgiou and Gerard Greene.

Ironic use of the word 'elite'?

Two ranking finalists and a ranking winner <ok>

It'd be more ironic if we referred to Cloud Strife as an elite poster.

He's an elite troll.

I think you are.

Postby Andre147

Ash147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:That Hawkins match was a true sickener. How on bucking earth can you score 12 60+ breaks and still lose. Yes not 50 but it was even 60. Everytime ROS had a scoring opportunity he won the frame in one visit.

I bet my house on it that Ronnie would have won the World title that year. Fu was his next opponent, then Selby whom he had already beaten twice that season and Selby was playing badly. In the final Ding.

I do think 2016 was the best chance he had at winning the WC since 2014. Both years he had won the Masters and the Welsh Open, and was in great form coming into the tournament. Losing to Hawkins in 2016 was worse than losing to Bingham in 2015.

He was playing great in 2016, and I'm certain he would have beaten Selby in the Semis.

That loss against Hawkins ruined everything. He's even said he felt had he won that match he would probably go on to win the whole thing.

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie would have played Selby in the semis, not final but no doubt. He would have won the whole thing.

Hawkins also did something similar a year before that by stopping Robertson in 2015. The Aussie was knocking in 140+ breaks for fun throughout the whole tournament and then he lost 13:12 to Hawkins in the quarters in an extremely high standard match.

Hawkins then lost the semis with a session to spare against Murphy. I'm pretty sure Robertson would have beaten Murphy in the semis and then stopped Bingham in the World final.

Postby TheRocket

You can see in the end of that interview that he had a determined look on his face. He looked like a man who wants to win the World title.

And he actually played decent a year later. Also made several fist pumps after suriving a tough test Gary Wilson in the first round. Its only since 2018 where he's been looking like a nervous wreck at the Crucible.

Hopefully the turnaround will be in 2020. I want to see the real Ronnie O'Sullivan at the most important tournament. Not this weak strange version of the last two editions.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie "knew he had him".

Sadly like he says he lost too many frames due to his safety play being very poor, if he tightened his safety play he wouldn't have needed a decider to win in the first place.

I know this loss took me a long time to get over...

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:You can see in the end of that interview that he had a determined look on his face. He looked like a man who wants to win the World title.

And he actually played decent a year later. Also made several fist pumps after suriving a tough test Gary Wilson in the first round. Its only since 2018 where he's been looking like a nervous wreck at the Crucible.

Hopefully the turnaround will be in 2020. I want to see the real Ronnie O'Sullivan at the most important tournament. Not this weak strange version of the last two editions.

I'm not confident he can win another World Title, but I'd rather see an O'Sullivan fighting for it, and if he loses then so be it, rather than an O'Sullivan who throws the match away and couldn't care less.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Mark Williams won the World Championship in 2018, 15 years after his previous win. . Of course Ronnie is still capable of winning one.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:Mark Williams won the World Championship in 2018, 15 years after his previous win. . Of course Ronnie is still capable of winning one.

Exactly, and Higgins has reached three finals in a row (mostly playing poorly).

I think it’s foolish to write Ronnie off for any reason, especially his age. His entire career has been spent shutting up critics and defying expectations.

I don’t necessarily think he’ll win another one but I won’t be surprised if he does. Especially compared to MJW in 2018, as Holden says.

Postby Ash147

I've made my view clear on this before, but Ronnie won't be winning another WC. I'd gladly see him prove me wrong, of course.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Mark Williams won the World Championship in 2018, 15 years after his previous win. . Of course Ronnie is still capable of winning one.

Its not about if he' still capable, he clearly is, he's won an amazing 11 events the past 2 years!

Its about whether he still has the desire for the long slog. MJW had it, so did Higgins last 3 worlds.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I thought that ROS did show desire in his matches in 2018 and 2019 but things did not work out in his favour.

He fought very hard to get back at Cahill but missed an important blue at 8-8 which was pretty straightforward and would have made him a massive favourite for the win.

Against Carter in 2018 it was not like he showed a lack of desire. The infamous incident showed that he was up for the match.

Postby Ck147

Remember he wasn't well at the WC against Cahill. Anyone who watched it would know he wasn't quite right and it wasn't his mental attitude, looked genuinely unwell to me. He seems to be in a much better place than he was 3-4 years ago. I think he still has a WC win in him.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie has made no secret of the fact he doesent enjoy the World Championship and never have but hes won it 5 times why cant he win it again its not going to be easy and neither it should be it should be tough its like our Everest. and it is about guts more than talent.

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:Remember he wasn't well at the WC against Cahill. Anyone who watched it would know he wasn't quite right and it wasn't his mental attitude, looked genuinely unwell to me. He seems to be in a much better place than he was 3-4 years ago. I think he still has a WC win in him.

He did look ill, but he also clearly wasn’t in the right place mentally either. He was playing the same say he used to at the China Open.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Remember he wasn't well at the WC against Cahill. Anyone who watched it would know he wasn't quite right and it wasn't his mental attitude, looked genuinely unwell to me. He seems to be in a much better place than he was 3-4 years ago. I think he still has a WC win in him.

He did look ill, but he also clearly wasn’t in the right place mentally either. He was playing the same say he used to at the China Open.

I want to say, "stfu Iranu" like some others do but I'm a bit more respectful than that. So, instead I will say, I respectively disagree with you, I think he was up for proving himself at the WC, but illness got the better of him, just unfortunate timing, sometimes these things happen. No way he would have lost to Cahill if he was feeling well, anyone who says otherwise is in the lower percentiles.

Postby Ck147

Like Selby and Ding have been at their best recently. ROS has been back up to his near best the last couple of years, Cahill was lucky Ronnie was ill, end of.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Well I got told off by a mod for mentioning that Robbo damaging his tip was exceptional circumstances so I hope you are ready for a dressing down from those in power. Diminishing Cahill's win really is a cheap shot. :no:

Postby Ck147

Well I've been here long enough now that I would consider a telling off or a ban a badge of honour!

Postby Ck147

But yeah, ROS got lucky Robbo broke his tip, got into his head and affected his game, otherwise Robbo would have won. But he was a tit for not bringing spare tips.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:But yeah, ROS got lucky Robbo broke his tip, got into his head and affected his game, otherwise Robbo would have won. But he was a tit for not bringing spare tips.

Tit indeed...

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I want to say, "stfu Iranu" like some others do but I'm a bit more respectful than that. So, instead I will say, I respectively disagree with you, I think he was up for proving himself at the WC, but illness got the better of him, just unfortunate timing, sometimes these things happen. No way he would have lost to Cahill if he was feeling well, anyone who says otherwise is in the lower percentiles.

rofl it’s ok I wouldn’t mind if you did tell me to stfu.

You may be right that he would have won if he weren’t ill. But he also may well have won if he’d played properly even if he were ill. He was playing kamikaze stuff even towards the end when he was coming back.

Postby Andre147

Being ill is no excuse for not playing properly, and he played kamikaze snooker most of the match, rushing every shot.

Yes its like one of those matches at the China Open or Malta Cup when he couldnt less. A pity this happened at the biggest tournament.

Postby Ck147

Andre147 wrote:Being ill is no excuse for not playing properly, and he played kamikaze snooker most of the match, rushing every shot.

Yes its like one of those matches at the China Open or Malta Cup when he couldnt less. A pity this happened at the biggest tournament.

Yes it is. Depending on the illness it impairs your judgement. I went to work once with "man flu" thought I could carry on as usual but ended up effing some stuff up I normally wouldn't, wish I took a sickie that day. Not a big fan of Ronnie, but will stick up for him in this case.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie's basically an old man in snooker terms, and he has won everything there is to win multiple times. His legacy is there. A loss doesn't mean anything anymore, there's nothing left to prove. Who cares about Cahill.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie's basically an old man in snooker terms, and he has won everything there is to win multiple times. His legacy is there. A loss doesn't mean anything anymore, there's nothing left to prove. Who cares about Cahill.

That's been true for years.

Not that you'd know it from reading this site.