Post a reply

Re: Shanghai Masters Final !!!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:He did, but there were exceptional circumstances in that match

I didn't actually see the second session.

How did Robertson's tip break affect him?

Not saying it was the reason he lost but after his tip broke, he took on a yellow to win the next frame and miscued horrendously. That sort of thing can affect your belief in your ability to play screw and side etc. He lost that frame and only won one more.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:He did, but there were exceptional circumstances in that match

I didn't actually see the second session.

How did Robertson's tip break affect him?

Not saying it was the reason he lost but after his tip broke, he took on a yellow to win the next frame and miscued horrendously. That sort of thing can affect your belief in your ability to play screw and side etc. He lost that frame and only won one more.

DECLINE!

Postby TheRocket

Robertson has never beaten Ronnie in a multi session match. In six attempts. He's the one who needs to prove that he can beat Ronnie. Not the other way round.

I think Ronnie and Trump will win most of the big tournaments this season.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

TheRocket wrote:Robertson has never beaten Ronnie in a multi session match. In six attempts. He's the one who needs to prove that he can beat Ronnie. Not the other way round.

I think Ronnie and Trump will win most of the big tournaments this season.

Just saying that Neil had shown signs of a return to form recently

Postby Johnny Bravo

VD needs to get his head fixed.
I know he hates ROS, but to say that ain't winning the big events is a poor joke.
ROS has dominated the snooker world in the last 2 seasons, he has won almost all major events.
He basically won half the events he has entered.
The only event ROS has strugled is the WC, but it's mostly a mental issue than a lack of ability

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheRocket wrote:Robertson has never beaten Ronnie in a multi session match. In six attempts..

That's crazy when you think how good Robbo is...

Postby TheRocket

Holden Chinaski wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Robertson has never beaten Ronnie in a multi session match. In six attempts..

Yes its one of the craziest stats we have in Snooker probably. Given how good Robertson is and many much worse players have had a win against Ron.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Yes its one of the craziest stats we have in Snooker probably. Given how good Robertson is and many much worse players have had a win against Ron.

On many ocations Robbo had himself to blame he has a tendancy to go negative in front and Ronnie will pick him off

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Robbo has wins against Ronnie, just not in a multi-sessions match.

Postby Andre147

Even without the tip problem Ronnie would have found a way to win. To diminish Ronnie's win just because of that is a cheap excuse.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:

Even without the tip problem Ronnie would have found a way to win. To diminish Ronnie's win just because of that is a cheap excuse.

To be fair if Ronnies tip had broken and he lost then i know the excuses would have been flying all over the shop.

Postby vodkadiet1

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie has won more Triple Crown titles than any other player in history. He's 43 years old and his B-game is still good enough to beat the top players. What a bum.

The idea of triple crown events is a myth. The World Championships is light years ahead of the others.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet1 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Ronnie has won more Triple Crown titles than any other player in history. He's 43 years old and his B-game is still good enough to beat the top players. What a bum.

The idea of triple crown events is a myth. The World Championships is light years ahead of the others.

Neal Foulds comentating during the International Championship said.

"I Dont get this hyping up of this Triple Crown there wasent any talk of it throughout my career" Neal retired in 2003.

its a new thing in the last 10 or 15 years.

The bottom line is theres Tournaments and theres the World Championship

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

"I Dont get this hyping up of this Triple Crown there wasent any talk of it throughout my career" Neal retired in 2003.

But some people do love to say only the World Champs matters...

If that was the case, then every player would only play that event in the whole season.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

But some people do love to say only the World Champs matters...

If that was the case, then every player would only play that event in the whole season.

Thats definitly not what im saying in any stretch of the imagination.

Ive always rated tournament wins on a par with each other in the past of course now you got best of 7s and 9s finals they cant be on a par.

But they have no right judging UK Championship as a cut above the China Open or International Championship and same with The Masters cut above Shanghai Masters or CoC they are all Great Tournaments to win and bloody hard to win and then you have the World Championship.

Postby Iranu

The Triple Crown was invented when BBC stopped broadcasting the Grand Prix

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:The Triple Crown was invented when BBC stopped broadcasting the Grand Prix

But the Grand Prix ended in 2009, and the term Triple Crown was invented before then.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:

It was a statement of fact - unless you don't think a damaged tip is exceptional.

Is it not acceptable to mention that?

As it goes, I think Ronnie would have won anyway.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:The Triple Crown was invented when BBC stopped broadcasting the Grand Prix

But the Grand Prix ended in 2009, and the term Triple Crown was invented before then.

not that long before then..

I Was online for the 1st time in 2007 and prior to that i had never heard them called the Triple Crown. Maybe it was a online thing that the BBC picked up on.

Postby TheRocket

The term Triple Crown might be a new term or you can even call it fake term to hype things but the UK Championship was regarded as the second most important tournament for decades. Thats a fact. It even had a bo31 final in the past. Thats how great it was.

Even Hendry said in one of his interviews he always prioritized the World,UK and Masters during his prime.

Yes the World Championship is something else. Undoubtely. It always will be. But belittling the UK and Masters is ridiculous.
Last edited by TheRocket on 17 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HappyCamper

the earliest i've found the 'triple crown' in reference to that collection of events was from 1999. though it's noticeably not capitalised. the marketing types probably picked up on it later.

Higgins is trying to become only the third player, after Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry, to hold the Masters, World and UK titles at the same time. "That triple crown would be a dream but it's going to be tough," said Higgins.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/dohert ... r-1.152567

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheRocket wrote:Even Hendry said in one of his interviews he always prioritized those three during his prime. .

Yep, I remember that interview where Hendry said the Worlds, The UK, and The Masters were always his top 3 priorities. Been looking for that interview but haven't found it. It's from some years ago. Triple Crown might be a modern name but those have been the tournaments everybody wants to win for a long time, as stated by Hendry.

Postby Holden Chinaski

HappyCamper wrote:the earliest i've found the 'triple crown' in reference to that collection of events was from 1999. though it's noticeably not capitalised. the marketing types probably picked up on it later.

Higgins is trying to become only the third player, after Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry, to hold the Masters, World and UK titles at the same time. "That triple crown would be a dream but it's going to be tough," said Higgins.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/dohert ... r-1.152567

<ok>

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheRocket wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fmZJ5U3FXM#t=1m30s

This is the interview.

Strange that he puts the Masters above the UK (the UK even had a bo31 final in Hendrys earlier years) but the great man clearly says those three are above the rest.

Thanks! <ok>

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

not that long before then..

I Was online for the 1st time in 2007 and prior to that i had never heard them called the Triple Crown. Maybe it was a online thing that the BBC picked up on.

Perhaps not invented but certainly popularised.

Prior to that they were trying to make their four tournaments the “Snooker Grand Slam.” Then suddenly as soon as they dropped the GP it was irrelevant.

Weird eh :chin:

Anyway, I agree that the World UK and Masters have historically been the three biggest tournaments (Words obviously way out in front). But it only seems to be in recent years that the three have been tallied together as a measure of success.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fmZJ5U3FXM#t=1m30s

This is the interview.

Strange that he puts the Masters above the UK (the UK even had a bo31 final in Hendrys earlier years) but the great man clearly says those three are above the rest.

That Interview was in 2017.

Believe me in his prime he NEVER thought like that it was always about winning everything yea in the 2000s when he had a family he was trying to focus on some events more than others.

Regarding the UK when it had Best of 31 Final it was a great benchmark for form but its just run of the mill these days theres even another 3 tournament that has longer finals 4 including the WC

Postby eraserhead

Look at the crowds the masters get do you really think players care about winning a best of 21 or would they rather win the masters in a packed ally pally. People rate the international championship on here just because it has longer matches, but hardly anyone actually watches the tournaments.