Post a reply

Re: Zhiyuan Huanbao Yushan World Open Last 16 !!

Postby carayip

lhpirnie wrote:
carayip wrote:
snoopy2608 wrote:I don't think I'd call him a journeyman - just think he's lost his love for the game and is going through the motions.
It might just click again, in which case he'll win tournaments again, it might not.

As a Ding fan, I'm not sure what to think - especially when he plays shots like the attempted plant he took on in frame 5 - with a little bit of care he'd be 3-2 up not 4-1 down.

It'll be interesting to see how he responds when he is no longer regarded as China's no.1

I think he’s going through a confidence crisis, not dissimilar to slumps many players have gone through. The only solution is to keep working hard

Yes, Selby had a slump, Murphy had a terrible season last year. The difference with Ding is that a huge number of people (particularly on Chinese social media) are saying he's lost interest, doesn't care, and are instructing him to retire. Even the comments online from this match today are totally dismissive and many abusive. That makes coming back for Ding a lot harder, when he takes such a battering every week. It's a shame for a player who has done so much to make snooker a global game, although many resent it.

Ding’s slump is longer than his peers. But similar great players have equal if not longer and bigger slumps. Mark Williams for one. At least Ding has not gone as low as MJW did in his 04-09 and 12-17 periods

Postby Andre147

Ding still manages to be in there around the Top 16 or close to it, despite not doing anything for 4 or 5 years, WC excluded.

Hopefully he finds his form again, but I keep saying this and he manages to disappoint. I do think if he won the WC he would retire, its the only motivation he has left.

Postby lhpirnie

Andre147 wrote:Ding still manages to be in there around the Top 16 or close to it, despite not doing anything for 4 or 5 years, WC excluded.

Hopefully he finds his form again, but I keep saying this and he manages to disappoint. I do think if he won the WC he would retire, its the only motivation he has left.

It's exceptionally rare for a player to 'retire'. Only really Stephen Hendry has actually made the decision. Many others, such as Dunn, Ebdon, Bond, Doherty, Hamilton, Burden, etc. talk about retiring, but never actually do it. If someone offers you a Tour Card, why would you?

Postby carayip

lhpirnie wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Ding still manages to be in there around the Top 16 or close to it, despite not doing anything for 4 or 5 years, WC excluded.

It's exceptionally rare for a player to 'retire'. Only really Stephen Hendry has actually made the decision. Many others, such as Dunn, Ebdon, Bond, Doherty, Hamilton, Burden, etc. talk about retiring, but never actually do it. If someone offers you a Tour Card, why would you?

I remember Neal Foulds and Mark Williams talked about this during the English Open. Probably only 2 players have ever decided to retire in their own terms while all the others retirees were just falling out of the tour. One is Terry Griffiths another is Stephen Hendry. Terry was No 23 then and Hendry was going to be No 21 next season when he decided to retire. No one is yet to retire while still in the Top 16 place

Postby carayip

Andre147 wrote:This is a good point actually. Most retire if they drop off the Tour.

When Davis retired in 2016 was he still on the Tour?

Steve was out of top 64 if I remember correctly. Of course he could still get a courtesy tour card ala Jimmy’s if he wanted to but he decided against it

Postby Andre147

carayip wrote:
Andre147 wrote:This is a good point actually. Most retire if they drop off the Tour.

Steve was out of top 64 if I remember correctly. Of course he could still get a courtesy tour card ala Jimmy’s if he wanted to but he decided against it

This only proves your point.. most players only retire if they drop off the Tour, maybe only Hendry and Griffiths have done differently.

Postby Vallomas

lhpirnie wrote:

There were some other players who gave up while they were inside the top 64 (the last I can remember is Jamie Burnett), but they can't be compared with Hendry, who was at No 21 when he decided to retire and was still capable of doing deep runs in tournaments.

Postby hendry_fan

I,ve just seen the decider btween Trump/Perry.

Perry certainly can,t complain as he had a few chances,as did Judd!.He should of rolled the pink in,instead of hittin it hard.

Heavy stuff from Kyren in his match against Jack.FIVE 70+ breaks!,which included two centurys. <ok>

Looks like Ding will have to practice 8,9,10 hrs a day. :roll:

Dan- :cat: will be a happy bunny,Teppy commeces to the 1/4,s. :-)

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:
carayip wrote:

This only proves your point.. most players only retire if they drop off the Tour, maybe only Hendry and Griffiths have done differently.

Most players ain't filthy rich as Ding. Due to the fact that he was the first Chinese player to make it big, Ding became a superstar in China and has earned millions, if not tens of millions from sponsorship and commercials.
So, unlike "most players", Ding can afford to retire, he's set for life.

Postby Ck147

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
carayip wrote:

Most players ain't filthy rich as Ding. Due to the fact that he was the first Chinese player to make it big, Ding became a superstar in China and has earned millions, if not tens of millions from sponsorship and commercials.
So, unlike "most players", Ding can afford to retire, he's set for life.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ding has more money than Ronnie. You're right, he can afford to retire if he wanted to.