Post a reply

2019 World Seniors Championship - The Crucible

Postby PLtheRef

This week sees the 2019 World Seniors Championship open up, this time at Snooker's spiritual home, The Crucible Theatre.

An expanded field of 20 competes this year, complete with five former World Snooker Champions; John Parrott, Stephen Hendry, Joe Johnson, Dennis Taylor and Cliff Thorburn, as well as three former World Seniors champions; Darren Morgan and Jimmy White alongside reigning World Seniors Champion Aaron Canavan.

The field includes fourteen players who have played at the Crucible in the World Championships before, all of them having reached the quarter-finals at least once.

First Round Draw
Willie Thorne v Darren Morgan
Tony Drago v Dene O'Kane
James Wattana v Mohammed Abdelkader
Tony Knowles v Chen Gang

Second Round Draw
Aaron Canavan v Au Chi-wai
Leo Fernandez v Joris Maas
John Parrott v Thorne / Morgan
Stephen Hendry v Drago / O'Kane
------------------------------------------------------
Joe Johnson v Wattana / Kader
Cliff Thorburn v Knowles / Chen
Dennis Taylor v Stuart Watson
Jimmy White v Rhydian Richards

The event similarly to the UK Seniors Championship in October and the Seniors Masters in April will be televised by FreeSports.

So who will win?

Re: 2019 World Seniors Championship - The Crucible

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I actually considered going to this.

Cheap visit to The Crucible.

Will be a giraffe

Can't go. Doing something Sunday.

Maybe next year, if they do one at around the same time.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:Oh buggeration. I went to put the Seniors on, and FreeSport are showing Speedway.

It's on very late tonight. Not sure if that's something similar for the week.

Postby PLtheRef

Day One results
First Round
Chen Gang 3-1 Tony Knowles
Tony Drago (71) 3-2 Dene O'Kane
James Wattana (113, 58 3-0 Mohammed Abdelkader
Darren Morgan (74) 3-0 Willie Thorne

Second Round
James Wattana 3-0 Joe Johnson
Chen Gang 3-1 Cliff Thorburn

Second Round Draw
Aaron Canavan v Au Chi-wai
Leo Fernandez v Joris Maas
John Parrott v Darren Morgan
Stephen Hendry v Tony Drago
------------------------------------------------------
Joe Johnson 0-3 James Wattana
Cliff Thorburn 1-3 Chen Gang
Dennis Taylor v Stuart Watson
Jimmy White v Rhydian Richards

Postby Ck147

Watching the wattana v Johnson match right now on Freesports after coming across it by accident (was having bit of a snooker break - no pun intended). Wattana playing well. Your fave ref SF...Michaela looking good.

Postby SnookerFan

Ck147 wrote:Watching the wattana v Johnson match right now on Freesports after coming across it by accident (was having bit of a snooker break - no pun intended). Wattana playing well. Your fave ref SF...Michaela looking good.

Michaela. :bowdown:

Postby PLtheRef

Ck147 wrote:Watching the wattana v Johnson match right now on Freesports after coming across it by accident (was having bit of a snooker break - no pun intended). Wattana playing well. Your fave ref SF...Michaela looking good.

I was in for the afternoon session. We were allowed in at 2-1 to Drago as that game was overrunning from the morning. Of the two and a half matches we got to watch Wattana seemed to be the most in good nick.

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:

I was in for the afternoon session. We were allowed in at 2-1 to Drago as that game was overrunning from the morning. Of the two and a half matches we got to watch Wattana seemed to be the most in good nick.

So, you're at The Crucible? :bowdown:

Been tempted to nip to Barnsley to watch any qualifiers?

Postby GeF

HappyCamper wrote:I see Wattana is playing in this. Does he have a match in Barnsley this week too?

No. He plays Judd Trump (Held over).

I'm not in UK, how can I see the games ? Can't access to Freesports TV in France.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:I see Wattana is playing in this. Does he have a match in Barnsley this week too?

Jimmy White is playing today, and played in Barnsley yesterday.

Sheffield and Barnsley are only spitting distance from each other, so it shouldn't really matter.

Postby LC

I’ve A few questions about this, if this is a world snooker sanctioned event and michaela is reffing surely she could come back on the main tour? And is that reanne Evans on co comms, why is she whispering I can’t hear a thing she’s saying !

Postby Ck147

Commentators think Jimmy having problems with dampness?? Poor bloke my grandad had that too.

But looks like he's going 2-1 up