Post a reply

Re: 2019 World Seniors Championship - The Crucible

Postby Dan-cat

GeF wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Sponsors put the money in, TV has its demands. Get the best mix in there that you can. I think Reanne should get a shot at it too, perhaps an opening match between the two to get into the group stages. That would be a decent watch and evenly matched

We already have this match few months ago, at Shoot-Out.

The way you quoted this looks like I wrote that. I didn't. It's snookerbacker's tweet

Postby Dan-cat

TWITTER ATTACK

The Cue View @ViewCue
People are forgetting that the CoC is a Matchroom event that is invitational. Whether you think it is right or wrong, they can invite who they want, just like the old Premier League that had White and Davis in it for a long time.

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:TWITTER ATTACK

The Cue View @ViewCue
People are forgetting that the CoC is a Matchroom event that is invitational. Whether you think it is right or wrong, they can invite who they want, just like the old Premier League that had White and Davis in it for a long time.

Ok why put in a criteria then waiting to see who wins and then add more events just call it Matchroom Cup and invite who they like.

that way it would have some credibility now its just a joke.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Didn't the Nugget qualify for CoC as World Seniors champ back in like 13?

Just checked. If he did, it wasn't 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Cham ... _Champions

it was 2014 and yea he was invited as was Jimmy in the 2011 Premier league as World Seniors Champion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Prem ... ue_Snooker

He only invites Phosils that are Mates of his

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Didn't the Nugget qualify for CoC as World Seniors champ back in like 13?

it was 2014 and yea he was invited as was Jimmy in the 2011 Premier league as World Seniors Champion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Prem ... ue_Snooker

Jimmy still played well there.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Does that even matter?

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

it was 2014 and yea he was invited as was Jimmy in the 2011 Premier league as World Seniors Champion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Prem ... ue_Snooker

Does that even matter?

It was sarcasm.

According to that link, he lost a lot all of his matches.

Postby carayip

I can understand from Hearn’s point of view if he thinks Jimmy can attract an audience and thus more money can be earned for him. I am just not sure if Jimmy is really that big of a draw anymore. Apart from a couple of oldies who might still feel pity for Jimmy, do Jimmy fans really enjoy their favourite player being a shadow of his former self and likely getting his ass handed to him on TV?

Postby Dan-cat

carayip wrote:I can understand from Hearn’s point of view if he thinks Jimmy can attract an audience and thus more money can be earned for him. I am just not sure if Jimmy is really that big of a draw anymore. Apart from a couple of oldies who might still feel pity for Jimmy, do Jimmy fans really enjoy their favourite player being a shadow of his former self and likely getting his ass handed to him on TV?

As perverse as it sounds there are probably a load of who do want to see that. Not getting beat, but you know what I mean

Postby SnookerFan

carayip wrote:I can understand from Hearn’s point of view if he thinks Jimmy can attract an audience and thus more money can be earned for him. I am just not sure if Jimmy is really that big of a draw anymore. Apart from a couple of oldies who might still feel pity for Jimmy, do Jimmy fans really enjoy their favourite player being a shadow of his former self and likely getting his ass handed to him on TV?

He probably is.

The amount of people who I meet who, on finding out that I watch snooker, tell me; "I preferred it in the 1980s." People remember Jimmy fondly, and will tune in to watch him. Win or lose.

Postby Iranu

Judging by the crowds he gets in the last 128 compared to others, yeah I think they do.

There may also be an element of “might be the last chance I get to see him play”

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:Jimmy is probably still a bigger draw than Trump is even now, which is a sad indictment on the game.

And not doing any favours Wheeling him out like this

Postby carayip

Dan-cat wrote:

As perverse as it sounds there are probably a load of who do want to see that. Not getting beat, but you know what I mean

Then I guess I am just different to the majority of English audience. If my favourite player sinks to that level of play, I definitely don’t want to watch him anymore.

If Jimmy is going to be whitewashed by Ronnie or Trump, imo it’s the best result he can hope for. If he’s going to be whitewashed and struggle to make a break of 20 against someone let’s say Matthew Selt, the type of player he would eat his breakfast for in his prime, how does that make it an entertaining watch as his fan?

Postby SnookerFan

carayip wrote:Then I guess I am just different to the majority of English audience. If my favourite player sinks to that level of play, I definitely don’t want to watch him anymore.

You've got to remember that the sort of people who post on a forum about snooker are not the same sort of people who make up the majority of the viewership.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
carayip wrote:Then I guess I am just different to the majority of English audience. If my favourite player sinks to that level of play, I definitely don’t want to watch him anymore.

You've got to remember that the sort of people who post on a forum about snooker are not the same sort of people who make up the majority of the viewership.

True.

If Jimmy does qualify for the CoC, for alot of people that'll probably be the only snooker match they watch all year.

Postby carayip

SnookerFan wrote:Is there any chance that Jimmy would play Reanne in the first round?

No chance. If I remember correctly, it’s not a random draw. Some event winners with high priority are seeded. Jimmy and Reanne if they both qualify are in the lowest priority events

Postby carayip

SnookerFan wrote:

I just don’t quite understand the English public then. If they love Jimmy the person so much, they can always watch him on Eurosport sofa and in exhibitions. If they love Jimmy the player, wouldn’t it be painful to watch him no longer being able to play the way you loved him for in the 1st place

Postby HustleKing

carayip wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I just don’t quite understand the English public then. If they love Jimmy the person so much, they can always watch him on Eurosport sofa and in exhibitions. If they love Jimmy the player, wouldn’t it be painful to watch him no longer being able to play the way you loved him for in the 1st place

Agree and Andy Murray is in a similar situation, at least in singles. I don't know why he doesn't just concentrate on doubles where he has a partner to potentially bail him out on a poor performance, instead of constantly losing to average journeyman players in singles. If only Jimmy was given special dispensation for a playing partner every other shot <laugh>

Postby Cloud Strife

carayip wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I dunno, maybe it's a British thing, but we tend be very loyal to our favourite sports stars and teams, and tend to stick with them through thick and thin. We'll come out and support them even when they are absolute dog marmite.