Post a reply

Re: ManBetX C of C Semi Final Allen v Trump !!

Postby Wildey

All the greats has been called lucky but fact is you make the luck count when your on top of your game.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I love the fact that people think Judd has some supernatural power of 'luck'. Or like there are real gods that have little to do so influence a snooker match in Coventry - maybe they are making money on Betfair???

If you genuinely think a player is lucky it is most likely this:

You are looking out for him having any good fortune and you will notice it and highlight it as it re-enforces what you want to believe. It sticks in your memory. You will generally ignore any bad fortune as 'it is about time' or similar. It does not stick in the mind.

For the avoidance of doubt, a belief in 'luck' is silly.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I get what you are saying, BSP. But yesterdays match was really crazy. Judd played well but it was the fact that Allen got a kick and Judd got a fluke at the right time that won Judd the match. Judd himself said it was luck that won him the match.

Judd does seem like he has a lot of flukes. Maybe it's because he hits the balls so hard when going for a long pot, that there's always a chance they go flying in another pocket.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Of course Holden. In isolated matches there is a good chance that one player will have better 'luck'. In fact it is almost certain that one will get a larger number of positive unplanned outcomes. I did not see the match and it does sound like Judd had a PUO at a crucial time.

As for hitting it hard, I have not thought much about that. My intuition says there will be many more unplanned outcomes but equally distributed - positive and negative. However than neglects a lot of other variables. I will think harder.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I love the fact that people think Judd has some supernatural power of 'luck'. Or like there are real gods that have little to do so influence a snooker match in Coventry - maybe they are making money on Betfair???

You are looking out for him having any good fortune and you will notice it and highlight it as it re-enforces what you want to believe. It sticks in your memory. You will generally ignore any bad fortune as 'it is about time' or similar. It does not stick in the mind.

Judd gets more flukes than most of the other players because he likes to smash the balls up, hence more of a chance of a ball dropping into a pocket.

But it's what you make of that luck that counts. No point being lucky if you then miss the next pot.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I love the fact that people think Judd has some supernatural power of 'luck'. Or like there are real gods that have little to do so influence a snooker match in Coventry - maybe they are making money on Betfair???

Judd gets more flukes than most of the other players because he likes to smash the balls up, hence more of a chance of a ball dropping into a pocket.

But it's what you make of that luck that counts. No point being lucky if you then miss the next pot.

Of course Andre.

It goes without saying if you smack the balls as hard as Judd does you will get more flukes and run of the ball than you would normally. This is a statistical fact. Not sure why BSP finds this so difficult to comprehend. :shrug:

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Yes Cloud. The secret to success in snooker is to hit the balls as hard as you can.

God give me the strength to be humble and patient with the feeble of mind.

I'm sorry BSP, I didn't mean to upset you. Please accept my apologies.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Yes Cloud. The secret to success in snooker is to hit the balls as hard as you can.

Not in the slightest Cloud.

I notice you missed the afternoon session.

Peppa Pig box set?

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Not in the slightest Cloud.

I notice you missed the afternoon session.

Peppa Pig box set?

No, I was actually out playing snooker so had to give the afternoon session a miss. I'm sure you, of all people, can understand.

Postby Andre147

You can hit them as hard as you can if you're as accurate as Trump is. He might miss the odd one and get the odd fluke, but he more often than not takes advantage of those flukes.

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Fair enough Cloud.

Were you actually playing?

How did you play?

Not bad, mate. I played on Friday for the first time in several years, and I enjoyed it so much I went again today. I definitely want to make it into a regular thing, time allowing.

Obviously struggled at first, so much so it was a rarity to even string two pots together. My best break on Friday was 9 lol. Today was much better and I even had a 24 break. Of course these numbers are nothing compared to what some of you guys on here are capable of - I feel like a beginner again, playing the game for the first time.

My all-time highest break is 43 which I made about 12 years ago when I used to play every week. I hope to some day make a 50 break, but that seems like a long shot right now.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Fair enough Cloud.

Were you actually playing?

How did you play?

Not bad, mate. I played on Friday for the first time in several years, and I enjoyed it so much I went again today. I definitely want to make it into a regular thing, time allowing.

Obviously struggled at first, so much so it was a rarity to even string two pots together. My best break on Friday was 9 lol. Today was much better and I even had a 24 break. Of course these numbers are nothing compared to what some of you guys on here are capable of - I feel like a beginner again, playing the game for the first time.

My all-time highest break is 43 which I made about 12 years ago when I used to play every week. I hope to some day make a 50 break, but that seems like a long shot right now.

That's pretty decent progress over two sessions Cloud.

It is a bucking hard game. I have been playing 3 times a week for three years now and I still get sessions where I don't hit a 30. Hope you keep playing and enjoying it.