Post a reply

Re: Coral Players Championship Final

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:He is one ranker behind Selby but wont make him better than him of he overtakes him cause of way too many TC crowns compared to him. He has time but he has to make it count from now on.

His last two TC showings were disappointing

Is Stephen Hendry with 18 TC Better player than Joe Perry with 0 in todays Game?

Yes, he is.

So if Hendry plays Joe Perry today Hendry will beat him? <doh> <doh>

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:He is one ranker behind Selby but wont make him better than him of he overtakes him cause of way too many TC crowns compared to him. He has time but he has to make it count from now on.

Is Stephen Hendry with 18 TC Better player than Joe Perry with 0 in todays Game?

Yes, he is.

So if Hendry plays Joe Perry today Hendry will beat him? <doh> <doh>

I'd back Hendo. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:

What the hell has that to do with anything

Oh sorry.

I misread your post. I see what you mean.

I thought you were questioning who was better out of Hendry and Perry.

I wondered what the hell you were on about.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Judd is a special talent, that's clear.

The problem is, it took him far too long to realise that talent.

He's making up for lost time now.

Im not saying Judd is the GOAT nowhere near but in todays game he is miles ahead of any player Ronnie included

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:

Im not saying Judd is the GOAT nowhere near but in todays game he is miles ahead of any player Ronnie included

Agreed.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:

As he should be.

Ronnie is a 44 year old man, Trump is 30 and in his absolute prime. Of course Trump is ahead of him. Problem is like TR says he has no real challengers of his age.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

As he should be.

Ronnie is a 44 year old man, Trump is 30 and in his absolute prime. Of course Trump is ahead of him. Problem is like TR says he has no real challengers of his age.

That's kind of true.

Snooker has been an old man's game lately. If they're beginning to fade and Yan Bingtao and that lot are too young. Selby isn't the player he was. Maybe he'll come back, maybe he won't.

Who else do we see challenging him in the next couple of years? Maybe Robertson, he's had some form. But he's older than Trump now too. How long will it last?

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

As he should be.

Spot on Andre. It's like comparing apples to oranges. One is at his absolute peak, the other is a 44 year old man on the decline.

Even then I disagree with Wild when he says Judd is miles ahead. He is definitely the best currently, but I don't think the gap to the rest is as wide as he thinks.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

As he should be.

That's kind of true.

Snooker has been an old man's game lately. If they're beginning to fade and Yan Bingtao and that lot are too young. Selby isn't the player he was. Maybe he'll come back, maybe he won't.

Who else do we see challenging him in the next couple of years? Maybe Robertson, he's had some form. But he's older than Trump now too. How long will it last?

There's absolutely no one. It's insane.

Even Hendry had more competition than this.

Postby TheRocket

people dont know what miles ahead means. Any topplayer could beat Trump on a good day. Even Maguire was one frame from beating him in the semis. Gilbert in the Scottish Open played to a high level and he did win comfortably against Trump.

Trumps main asset atm is that he doesnt drop below a certain level anymore. He always plays to a decent standard and thats what makes him tough to beat on a regular basis. But he isnt playing to a level others cant get to.

Postby Bjornebye

A couple of years back I expected the likes of Kyren, Ding even Lisowski to be hitting form by now where they can be expected to be challenging regularly at the business end of tournaments. Its not happening and only really resurgences in the likes of Williams, Murphy, Robertson is stopping Judd monopolising the sport. We could be in for a very predictable era unless some of these young Asian lads can start to fulfil their promise.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Bjornebye wrote:A couple of years back I expected the likes of Kyren, Ding even Lisowski to be hitting form by now where they can be expected to be challenging regularly at the business end of tournaments. Its not happening and only really resurgences in the likes of Williams, Murphy, Robertson is stopping Judd monopolising the sport. We could be in for a very predictable era unless some of these young Asian lads can start to fulfil their promise.

MJW? Resurgence? Really?

Postby TheRocket

Williams resurgence only lasted for a season. Not even sure if he's Top16 level since then.

Its up to the players in the mid to late 30's age range (Robertson,Selby,Murphy) to stop Trump from winning the big titles on a regular basis. The are still "young" enough to compete with Trump over the next 3-4 years.

The class of 92 is too old now. While younger players like Wilson/Lisowski are not good enough. Ding remains a big question. He only appears once or twice in the season and then disappears again.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:people dont know what miles ahead means. Any topplayer could beat Trump on a good day. Even Maguire was one frame from beating him in the semis. Gilbert in the Scottish Open played to a high level and he did win comfortably against Trump.

Trumps main asset atm is that he doesnt drop below a certain level anymore. He always plays to a decent standard and thats what makes him tough to beat on a regular basis. But he isnt playing to a level others cant get to.

The fact that even top players have to rely on a good day suggests that Judd’s pretty far ahead of them.

He's beating opponents, often pretty handily, without really getting out of second gear.

I do think that this is partly because those other top players, with the exception of Robbo, have fallen back.

Selby’s had a good season in terms of picking up rankers but performance-wise he’s been inconsistent at best.

Ronnie, Higgins and MJW are all off the pace for varying reasons.

Ding is being Ding.

Allen and especially Kyren aren’t truly top players although they’re very good.

Judd’s taken full advantage of a relatively weak season, but he’s not the only player to ever do that. And he’s not just taken advantage, he’s done it with ease.

The only real question mark is his UK and Masters performances. Makes me wonder how he’ll perform at the Worlds.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:people dont know what miles ahead means. Any topplayer could beat Trump on a good day. Even Maguire was one frame from beating him in the semis. Gilbert in the Scottish Open played to a high level and he did win comfortably against Trump.

The fact that even top players have to rely on a good day suggests that Judd’s pretty far ahead of them.

He's beating opponents, often pretty handily, without really getting out of second gear.

I do think that this is partly because those other top players, with the exception of Robbo, have fallen back.

Selby’s had a good season in terms of picking up rankers but performance-wise he’s been inconsistent at best.

Ronnie, Higgins and MJW are all off the pace for varying reasons.

Ding is being Ding.

Allen and especially Kyren aren’t truly top players although they’re very good.

Judd’s taken full advantage of a relatively weak season, but he’s not the only player to ever do that. And he’s not just taken advantage, he’s done it with ease.

The only real question mark is his UK and Masters performances. Makes me wonder how he’ll perform at the Worlds.

:goodpost:

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I heard that Trump will be doing a few songs on his banjo if sessions finish early, so he will definitely perform at the Worlds.

That happened to me and Sundaygirl once.

There was a power cut at The Masters, so one of the cameramen got his guitar out.

Postby Wildey

People could beat Hendry People could beat Davis they were still miles ahead of the pack.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:

People could beat Hendry People could beat Davis they were still miles ahead of the pack.

Weak comparison. Hendry and Davis were just so much better than the opposition around that time. Davis was much better than his big rival Alex Higgins to give you an example. And if Davis/Hendry played at their best they would completely annihilate the other best players around that time.
Is Trump that much better than Robertson or Selby? I doubt it. Not to mention Hendry and Davis won several World titles on the spin which I highly doubt Trump will do.

Postby D4P

Holden Chinaski wrote:He needs to win a lot more titles to be anywhere near that category.

Which he almost certainly will do. Judd essentially fluked his way into the perfect era: lots of ranking events to play in, with very little competition.

Postby Holden Chinaski

D4P wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:He needs to win a lot more titles to be anywhere near that category.

Which he almost certainly will do. Judd essentially fluked his way into the perfect era: lots of ranking events to play in, with very little competition.

True. There are more tournaments now and he has little competition, but he still needs to do it.

Postby D4P

Holden Chinaski wrote:True. There are more tournaments now and he has little competition, but he still needs to do it.

True. I think he will, though his loss to Ronnie at the TC last season and his poor showings at the UK and Masters this season do give rise to at least a little bit of doubt about his readiness to take over as the new Davis/Hendry/Ronnie...

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:True. There are more tournaments now and he has little competition, but he still needs to do it.

True. I think he will, though his loss to Ronnie at the TC last season and his poor showings at the UK and Masters this season do give rise to at least a little bit of doubt about his readiness to take over as the new Davis/Hendry/Ronnie...

He will never dominate like Davis and Hendry, the times are different.

But he can certainly win a hell of a lot of ranking titles. I think for him to truly be considered a great he needs to start winning UK, Masters and of course Worlds on a regular basis, bit like Selby did.

Postby TheRocket

D4P wrote:

Trump isnt even an All-Time Great yet. So there is no point in comparing him to the three greatest players of all time anyway imo.

He will do well to surpass Williams and Selby first which itself wont be easy because of his lack of TC titles. One World,UK,Masters at the age of 30 isnt a huge success. So long way to go. But the lack of competition should help him.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:Yeah I wouldn't compare Judd to Davis, Hendry or Ronnie. He needs to win a lot more titles to be anywhere near that category.

Nobody is comparing him on that i totally agree But Judd just as other players like Neil and Shaun threatens him he pulls out another tournament win out of the Bag that is out of the top drawer and thats why he is the undisputed best on the planet. and he is miles ahead hes 591,000 points ahead of 2nd place Robbo...the difference between Robbo and Judd is 100,000 points more than Murphy has.

Ronnie must be the only player that started the season as WN1 and now hes World No 7 917,000 behind no 1. cant remember any other player having that sort of drop.