Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championships (Fri Aug 14th) Semi-Finals !

Postby eraserhead

Pink Ball wrote:To be honest, I don't think there's any evidence he actually got to Selby at all. Selby hardly got a look in in frames 31 and 32, and he looked cool enough in frame 33. Just didn't go his way.

This was a total roll of the dice by O'Sullivan, but what a thrilling roll of the dice it was.

I feel I'm not getting enough credit for calling this but it's fine. Ronnie's in the final. :hyper:

Postby mantorok

TheRocket wrote:decided to play ultra attacking / Kamikaze and it paid off

I know but seriously who can do that? How many people would suddenly decide to play like there's just a fiver on the table? Then just suddenly decide to take it seriously in the decider?

I mean wtf?

Postby Prop

mantorok wrote:

I know but seriously who can do that? How many people would suddenly decide to play like there's just a fiver on the table? Then just suddenly decide to take it seriously in the decider?

I mean wtf?

Ronnie has got a screw loose. That loose screw is what stopped him winning so many more tournaments over the years.

Today of all days, it helped him overcome his nemesis. It’s poetry.

Postby TheRocket

mantorok wrote:

I mean wtf?

he is the prime example that there is a fine line between genius and insanity.

Postby mantorok

Prop wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I mean wtf?

Ronnie has got a screw loose. That loose screw is what stopped him winning so many more tournaments over the years.

Today of all days, it helped him overcome his nemesis. It’s poetry.

Yep. His spontaneous approach is what makes him such a popular and insanely talented player.

He's the only person who can just suddenly buck about with his game mid match and beat a great lol

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:

I mean wtf?

I can only think of Alex Higgins who would go kamikaze and then play proper in the decider.

But he wasn't as good as O'Sullivan obviously.

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:I only remember being like this when Ronnie won v Trump at the TC Semis last season.

This is obviously a much bigger win and tournament.

Yeah, I've been a Ronnie fan since 2017 and the win against Judd was my previous high mark. This win over Selby (obviously) surpasses that...

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:I remember seeing his potential draw at the beginning and just thinking no way.

Now here we are :-D

No Judd Trump in the Final, but the man who knocked him out is.

Wilson is no mug and has Crucible pedigree already.

Should be a great final.

Postby TheRocket

D4P wrote:
mantorok wrote:I remember seeing his potential draw at the beginning and just thinking no way.

If Judd had made the final, part of me thinks Ronnie probably wouldn't have beaten Selby...

Ronnie would prefer losing to Judd over Selby anytime believe me.

Postby HappyCamper

TheRocket wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:His legacy was never in danger you hammers.

Correct. He is unquestionably the greatest player ever. This would still be the case even if he had lost this evening.

wrong. He would have had a 0:3 head to head at the (by far) most important Snooker tournament against one of his biggest rivals. Maybe even his biggest rival although thats probably still John Higgins. But if he had lost his poor record would always be hovering over his head and people would mention that he never beat Selby at the Crucible in three attempts.

This was a huge win for Ronnie O'Sullivan and his legacy.

no. it would have been at most a mildly interesting footnote. we have his entire career to make a judgement on, a small sample of one particular match up doesn't change that.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:

No Judd Trump in the Final, but the man who knocked him out is.

Wilson is no mug and has Crucible pedigree already.

Should be a great final.

If he's going to win it this year I just hope he doesn't go saving his best for the last session lol
Last edited by mantorok on 14 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Juddernaut88

Oh god few people on here reminding me of that painful Tour championship match last year. That took me a while to get over it, fortunately Judd Trump made up for it though by winning the world championship 7 weeks later. Such a shame he's not in the world final this year :sad:

Postby TheRocket

Juddernaut88 wrote:Oh god few people on here reminding me of that painful Tour championship match last year. That took me a while to get over it, fortunately Judd Trump made up for it though by winning the world championship 7 weeks later. Such a shame he's not in the world final this year :sad:

but that defeat was the reason Judd went on to win the World title (his own words). He said he practiced and tried even harder after that terrible defeat and it paid off.

Postby mantorok

Juddernaut88 wrote:Oh god few people on here reminding me of that painful Tour championship match last year. That took me a while to get over it, fortunately Judd Trump made up for it though by winning the world championship 7 weeks later. Such a shame he's not in the world final this year :sad:

I'm a fan too man. I really wanted trump to break the stupid curse this year.

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Can anyone tell me what shot was Selby refering to when he said Ronnie moved in his eyeline?

I think he said a green in frame 23

Is that for real or you just made that up?

Postby Alex0paul

Andre147 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Can anyone tell me what shot was Selby refering to when he said Ronnie moved in his eyeline?

Im sure he said something along those lines

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

Im sure he said something along those lines

ok I'll have to check what shot he was talking about.

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:

I'm a fan too man. I really wanted trump to break the stupid curse this year.

More than you wanted Ronnie to win the title?