Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championships (Fri Aug 14th) Semi-Finals !

Postby Cloud Strife

eraserhead wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:To be honest, I don't think there's any evidence he actually got to Selby at all. Selby hardly got a look in in frames 31 and 32, and he looked cool enough in frame 33. Just didn't go his way.

This was a total roll of the dice by O'Sullivan, but what a thrilling roll of the dice it was.

I feel I'm not getting enough credit for calling this but it's fine. Ronnie's in the final. :hyper:

Brilliant stuff. :clap:

Postby TheRocket

What hurts Selby the most is that he is usually the one who has a strategy to neutralise opponents. He did it against Ding, against Higgins, against O'Sullivan, Robertson. Always the perfect matchplan.

But now he got a dose of his own medicine. He got overhelmed by the way Ronnie played in those three frames and wasnt prepared for it when his opponent played like a madman.

Postby Andre147

Dan will obviously say I was wrong when I didn't believe Ronnie could win.

But his body language suggested otherwise, and those hit and hope shots at 100 miles an hour didn't exactly improve that right?

But in the last 3 frames he played vintage.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Oh god few people on here reminding me of that painful Tour championship match last year. That took me a while to get over it, fortunately Judd Trump made up for it though by winning the world championship 7 weeks later. Such a shame he's not in the world final this year :sad:

I'm a fan too man. I really wanted trump to break the stupid curse this year.

More than you wanted Ronnie to win the title?

It wasn't until he reached the semi that I really started to believe. Before that it was kind of even between him and Judd.

But no. Ronnie will always be my first choice I just don't get hopes up too early.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:What hurts Selby the most is that he is usually the one who has a strategy to neutralise opponents. He did it against Ding, against Higgins, against O'Sullivan, Robertson. Always the perfect matchplan.

But now he got a dose of his own medicine. He got overhelmed by the way Ronnie played in those three frames and wasnt prepared for it when his opponent played like a madman.

he did nothing wrong in frames 31 and 32.

And in the last he actually looked like he was going to make a clearance Higgins 2006 Masters style.

But ran out of position and the rest is history.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I just watched the decider again. The final red got to be up there with the best shots of the championship under the circumstances. It was also the red that gone up the table after initial split, it's the ball that won him this match.

It's just so ridiculous that after 3 days of play, 4 sessions and 32 frames it comes down to a single ball. The brilliance and insanity of snooker.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:Dan will obviously say I was wrong when I didn't believe Ronnie could win.

But his body language suggested otherwise, and those hit and hope shots at 100 miles an hour didn't exactly improve that right?

But in the last 3 frames he played vintage.

There has only ever been a single true genius of snooker, and his name is Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:I wonder if Higgins is a relieved man today. Selby cant tie him. At least for now.

Selby will end his career on 4 world titles I think. hopefully he won't beat Ronnie along the way.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I wonder if Higgins is a relieved man today. Selby cant tie him. At least for now.

Selby will end his career on 4 world titles I think. hopefully he won't beat Ronnie along the way.

This loss won't help. It's not far off the loss Ronnie had to endure to be fair.

Postby D4P

Pink Ball wrote:I think we've seen not one but two semi-finals which will rank very highly when we judge the greatest matches of all time in years to come.

Yes, where would today's matches rank in your rankings if you were to update them...?

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

This loss won't help. It's not far off the loss Ronnie had to endure to be fair.

Ronnie's was worse because it was the Final, but this one is probably Selby's worse of his career.

can't really say the 2007 Final because he was very young then.

Postby Pink Ball

D4P wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I think we've seen not one but two semi-finals which will rank very highly when we judge the greatest matches of all time in years to come.

Yes, where would today's matches rank in your rankings if you were to update them...?

Too early to say. Both are the top two matches of 2020, I have no doubt. Sunday's result, whether it should or not, will also have a bearing on how both matches are seen.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Ronnie's was worse because it was the Final, but this one is probably Selby's worse of his career.

Yep. But with everyone expecting the winner to come from this match then it's not far off :-)

Postby Pink Ball

Pink Ball wrote:
D4P wrote:

Too early to say. Both are the top two matches of 2020, I have no doubt. Sunday's result, whether it should or not, will also have a bearing on how both matches are seen.

O'Sullivan's win does remind me a lot of Alex Higgins' wins over Jimmy White in 1982 and Steve Davis in the 1983 UK just for sheer incredibleness.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
D4P wrote:

O'Sullivan's win does remind me a lot of Alex Higgins' wins over Jimmy White in 1982 and Steve Davis in the 1983 UK just for sheer incredibleness.

Same style of crazy Snooker and you never know what's gonna happen next. They do have that in common.

Postby cupotee

i see o ' sullivans win as more of a selby choke , before selby messed up position from green to the last red in the last frame how many frames did he lose today ( friday ) by missing very getable awkward reds , at least 4 , so thats five in total , hey ho though as he only beat noppon cos noppon misjudged a safety cannon from red to black in the last frame the 25th frame , noppon would have gave o sullivan a good match too .

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

And had very little to lose after finishing the first day 12-4 behind overnight

Postby Andre147

Selby said post-match he felt he lost the match when he didn't manage to go at least 14-10 up in the 3rd session, maybe even 15-9.

Ronnie could not have played much worse and they still drew that session 4-4. It did made a massive difference in the end.

Postby cupotee

TheRocket wrote:https://twitter.com/SHendry775/status/1294415455344623616

i'm not sure about putting much weight on paid broadcasters opinion's , its like how bland ken doherty's answer was on the same thing earlier , its an old buddies network , best to get an out of house opinion wherever that is .