Post a reply

Re: It’s Off

Postby vodkadiet1

They have already cancelled a summit of world leaders in Glasgow in November. There won't be a World Snooker Championship this year.

Postby vodkadiet1

My primary concern at present is David Gilbert's mortgage. This is the most pressing matter for the planet at the moment. Concerns about testing for Covid-19; vaccines for Covid -19; and protective equipment for front line NHS staff is secondary or tertiary. Let's get Gilbert's house fully paid up and then concern ourselves about the current pandemic afterwards.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

vodkadiet1 wrote:My primary concern at present is David Gilbert's mortgage. This is the most pressing matter for the planet at the moment. Concerns about testing for Covid-19; vaccines for Covid -19; and protective equipment for front line NHS staff is secondary or tertiary. Let's get Gilbert's house fully paid up and then concern ourselves about the current pandemic afterwards.

Gilbert is a key worker

Postby vodkadiet1

Gilbert should change his nickname from 'The Angry Farmer' to 'The Key Worker.'

Postby Alex0paul

The closer it gets the more sad I feel that it’s not going to be on

Postby lhpirnie

Apparently Barry Hearn has booked the Crucible Theatre for 25th July for two weeks. Currently no official announcement has been made, as they wait for the BBC to agree scheduling and possibly for some official guidance. I'm sure the BBC will jump at the chance (it's the Olympic fortnight). Not sure about the lockdown regulations - surely there can be no guarantees from the Government .

My view is that if this goes ahead, it will be for a limited number of UK-based players, played behind closed doors, probably with 1 table. This will divide the snooker audience, as an 'invitational' WC (presumably non-ranking) might not please us, but would delight millions of viewers who are curretly totally starved of any live sport.

Postby Cloud Strife

It will be like a glorified Championship League if it happens under those conditions.

I'd welcome it though. Better than nothing.

Postby lhpirnie

Cloud Strife wrote:It will be like a glorified Championship League if it happens under those conditions.

I'd welcome it though. Better than nothing.

And so would millions of TV viewers. Potentially it could bring the game to a massive new audience worldwide.

So long as the big name players are there in the Crucible theatre, it will have a certain amount of 'legitimacy', at least with the wider public and the popular media.

It is a big risk however. If it has to be postponed again...

Postby Pink Ball

lhpirnie wrote:Apparently Barry Hearn has booked the Crucible Theatre for 25th July for two weeks. Currently no official announcement has been made, as they wait for the BBC to agree scheduling and possibly for some official guidance. I'm sure the BBC will jump at the chance (it's the Olympic fortnight). Not sure about the lockdown regulations - surely there can be no guarantees from the Government .

My view is that if this goes ahead, it will be for a limited number of UK-based players, played behind closed doors, probably with 1 table. This will divide the snooker audience, as an 'invitational' WC (presumably non-ranking) might not please us, but would delight millions of viewers who are curretly totally starved of any live sport.

Why would it be one table? If they're playing it over two weeks, that would suggest to me they're sticking with the same format from the last 32 onwards.

It's good thinking by Hearn to go for the Olympic fortnight. If it's finishing on a Sunday, though, they should start on a Friday.

Should definitely be played behind closed doors, though. The worst of the crisis will be over by then, but the crisis itself possibly won't be over.

Postby lhpirnie

Pink Ball wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:Apparently Barry Hearn has booked the Crucible Theatre for 25th July for two weeks. Currently no official announcement has been made, as they wait for the BBC to agree scheduling and possibly for some official guidance. I'm sure the BBC will jump at the chance (it's the Olympic fortnight). Not sure about the lockdown regulations - surely there can be no guarantees from the Government .

Why would it be one table? If they're playing it over two weeks, that would suggest to me they're sticking with the same format from the last 32 onwards.

It's good thinking by Hearn to go for the Olympic fortnight. If it's finishing on a Sunday, though, they should start on a Friday.

Should definitely be played behind closed doors, though. The worst of the crisis will be over by then, but the crisis itself possibly won't be over.

It looks like the planned starting date is 25th July, which means they will have only 16 days as you say. They will have to make some changes to the format. It's likely the number of people present onsite will have to be kept to a minimum, which strongly suggests one table.

The main plan must be to have the big-name players on TV. No qualifiers. So I guess they will just invite the top-16, or maybe even fewer. Ding Junhui is the only one who has left the UK (he's currently celebrating his birthday in a quarantine hotel). He could be replaced by Joe Perry - a very popular player with British audiences. But so long as they have Trump, O'Sullivan, Higgins, Williams, Selby, Robertson and Murphy the public will be happy.

The objective is just to provide us with some live sport to fill a huge gap. It doesn't matter how.

Postby D4P

lhpirnie wrote:It looks like the planned starting date is 25th July, which means they will have only 16 days as you say. They will have to make some changes to the format. It's likely the number of people present onsite will have to be kept to a minimum, which strongly suggests one table.

The main plan must be to have the big-name players on TV. No qualifiers. So I guess they will just invite the top-16, or maybe even fewer. Ding Junhui is the only one who has left the UK (he's currently celebrating his birthday in a quarantine hotel). He could be replaced by Joe Perry - a very popular player with British audiences. But so long as they have Trump, O'Sullivan, Higgins, Williams, Selby, Robertson and Murphy the public will be happy.

The objective is just to provide us with some live sport to fill a huge gap. It doesn't matter how.

I wonder if such an event would "count" as a World Championship in the record books for the winner...?

Postby lhpirnie

D4P wrote:I wonder if such an event would "count" as a World Championship in the record books for the winner...?

The answer is probably 'yes'.

Because millions of people will watch it on TV, and it's played at the Crucible. Otherwise it makes no sense to be at the Crucible (rather than a nice TV studio) at some expense and inconvenience. But it's vital that the top players agree. If someone like Ronnie O'Sullivan refuses, then it does raise questions.

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

It looks like the planned starting date is 25th July, which means they will have only 16 days as you say. They will have to make some changes to the format. It's likely the number of people present onsite will have to be kept to a minimum, which strongly suggests one table.

This would be a travesty and an insult to the World Championship.

Postby Cloud Strife

lhpirnie wrote:
D4P wrote:I wonder if such an event would "count" as a World Championship in the record books for the winner...?

The answer is probably 'yes'.

Because millions of people will watch it on TV, and it's played at the Crucible. Otherwise it makes no sense to be at the Crucible (rather than a nice TV studio) at some expense and inconvenience. But it's vital that the top players agree. If someone like Ronnie O'Sullivan refuses, then it does raise questions.

In that case they should invite Jimmy as well.

Imagine Jimmy finally wins at the Crucible only for it to not count as a World title win.

Postby lhpirnie

Iranu wrote:This would be a travesty and an insult to the World Championship.

For us maybe. But millions of people will enjoy it, and for them it will count. This could attract the biggest snooker audience ever. There's nothing else to watch.

Postby Iranu

lhpirnie wrote:
Iranu wrote:This would be a travesty and an insult to the World Championship.

For us maybe. But millions of people will enjoy it, and for them it will count. This could attract the biggest snooker audience ever. There's nothing else to watch.

Who cares if people would enjoy it? I would enjoy it because it would be a chance to watch snooker. It would still be a travesty. And not just to us, to the very concept of the World Championship.

Postby lhpirnie

vodkadiet1 wrote:Gilbert should change his nickname from 'The Angry Farmer' to 'The Key Worker.'

If they play a reduced World Championship without Dave Gilbert, he'll be very angry indeed. So his comments actually have turned out to be very wise - it really puts the pressure on the organisers to invite him.

Postby lhpirnie

Pink Ball wrote:Not sure, lads. If I know Hurn, he’s thinking two-table setup here.

Why does he need two tables? The BBC would surely prefer one, as would table-fitters and stage managers, officials and media. The total number of people present at the venue has to be limited, plus the appearence of 'distancing' would be undermimed by having two tables so close together, and players sitting a foot apart in their corner.

Ultimately this is about getting the big-name players on our screens. They want to see Trump against O'Sullivan. A second table on a Red Button featuring Gary Wilson against Barry Hawkins doesn't justify the expense, and will likely contravene the regulations.

Postby Pink Ball

lhpirnie wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Not sure, lads. If I know Hurn, he’s thinking two-table setup here.

Why does he need two tables? The BBC would surely prefer one, as would table-fitters and stage managers, officials and media. The total number of people present at the venue has to be limited, plus the appearence of 'distancing' would be undermimed by having two tables so close together, and players sitting a foot apart in their corner.

Ultimately this is about getting the big-name players on our screens. They want to see Trump against O'Sullivan. A second table on a Red Button featuring Gary Wilson against Barry Hawkins doesn't justify the expense, and will likely contravene the regulations.

Fair point.

I'm trying to make out a 16-man schedule here that would work. Even allowing for table changes, I'm coming up a day short. Free day on the Friday before the final?

Postby Pink Ball

Saturday, July 25
10am: R1M1 (fist session)
2.30pm: R1M2SI (first session)
7pm: R1M1S1 (to a finish)

Sunday, July 26
10am: R1M3 (first session)
2.30pm: R1M2SI (to a finish)
7pm: RIM3 (to a finish)

Monday, July 27
10am: R1M4 (first session)
2.30pm: R1M5 (first session)
7pm: R1M4 (to a finish)

Tuesday, July 28
10am: R1M6 (first session)
2.30pm: R1M5 (to a finish)
7pm: R1M6 (to a finish)

Wednesday, July 29
1pm: R1M7 (first session)
7pm:R1M7 (to a finish)

Thursday, July 30
10am: R1M8 (first session)
2.30pm: QFM1 (first session)
7pm: R1M8 (to a finish)

Friday, July 31
10am: QFM1 (second session)
2.30pm: QFM2 (first session)
7pm: QFM1 (to a finish)

Saturday, August 1
10am: QFM2 (second session)
2.30pm: QFM3 (first session)
7pm: QFM2 (to a finish)

Sunday, August 1
1pm: QFM4 (first session)
7pm: QFM3 (second session)

Monday, August 2
10am: QFM4 (second session)
2.30pm: QFM3 (to a finish)
7pm: QFM4 (to a finish)

Tuesday, August 3
No play

Wednesday, August 4
1pm: SFM1 (first session)
7pm: SFM2 (first session)

Thursday, August 5
10am: SFM1 (second session)
2.30pm: SFM2 (second session)
7pm: SFM1 (third session)

Friday, August 6
10am: SFM2 (third session)
2.30pm: SFM1 (to a finish)
7pm: SFM2 (to a finish)

Saturday, August 7
1pm: Final (first session)
7pm: Final (second session)

Sunday, August 8
1pm: Final (third session)
7pm: Final (fourth session)

Postby lhpirnie

Pink Ball wrote:Fair point.

I'm trying to make out a 16-man schedule here that would work. Even allowing for table changes, I'm coming up a day short. Free day on the Friday before the final?

Yes you are right. Most likely, they would have to play the L16 in two sessions (best-of-19) and then Q-finals best-of-25 over 3 sessions. That gives us 28 sessions of snooker, with 11 days to play them. A few morning sessions might reasonably be sacrificed. You wouldn't want to miss the massive viewing figures of an afternoon or evening session.

It would be a great coup to hold some women's matches alongside. That would go down very well.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:To be fair, if it pans out like this, it ain't as good as your typical World Championship but would be by far the best tournament of the season.

Are we allowed to bet on results?

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:To be fair, if it pans out like this, it ain't as good as your typical World Championship but would be by far the best tournament of the season.

The more I think about it the more I believe it must happen.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:

Are we allowed to bet on results?

I would assume so.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:

But not be called the World Championship.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

But not be called the World Championship.

While I agree it’s not as good as your normal World Championship, it’s still the World Championship. Hearn would also be mad to have this opportunity and NOT bill it as the biggest tournament of them all.

This would be a throwback to earlier Crucible World Championships. Those winners don’t have asterisks next to their names.

If it’s limited to a certain number of players, no ranking points though.