Post a reply

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Wildey

There was talk on the Snooker Scene Podcast of reducing the Qualifying to best of 11 instead of Best of 19.

Im against that however if its to be done then reduce the first 2 rounds and play the last 2 rounds best of 19

what id do is extend the Qualifying by 2 days play only 8 tables and only 2 session a day so you limit how many players on site at any given time.

if players play a morning session and a evening session that would mean staying on site all day while afternoon session is being played but if you play 2 session the players will be playing all day until they win or lose.

Instead of the Normal Judgement day play the matches through to conclusion in 1 day meaning only 1 Covid Test per player.

Day 1 16 match 32 players 2 session Best of 11 1st Round Last 144
Day 2 16 match 32 players 2 session Best of 11 1st Round Last 144
Day 3 16 match 32 players 2 session Best of 11 2nd Round Last 112
Day 4 16 match 32 players 2 session Best of 11 2nd Round Last 112
Day 5 8 match 16 players 2 session Best of 19 3rd Round Last 80
Day 6 8 match 16 players 2 session Best of 19 3rd Round Last 80
Day 7 8 match 16 players 2 session Best of 19 3rd Round Last 80
Day 8 8 match 16 players 2 session Best of 19 3rd Round Last 80
Day 9 8 match 16 players 2 session Best of 19 4th Round Last 48
Day 10 8 match 16 players 2 session Best of 19 4th Round Last 48

Postby Wildey

HappyCamper wrote:in a championship league final earlier this season scott donaldson had an acute respiratory issue that almost forced him to retire. it can happen even in the best of times.

He Carried on he didnt pull out with Covid no alternative you could have a phone call telling you you been in contact with a Covid Carrier Isolate for 14 days even.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:What if both finalists get it, and have to pull out?

its a live possibility the players will have to limit contact with outside world and isolate for long periods to get through this

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What if both finalists get it, and have to pull out?

its a live possibility the players will have to limit contact with outside world and isolate for long periods to get through this

But what would they do?

Would Taylor and Virgo come out to play an exhibition for two days?

Postby Alex0paul

Just have each quarter of the draw play to a conclusion together to reduce the number of people there. Also best of 11 isn’t horrific in the early rounds as you often get a lot of one sided affairs

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:Just have each quarter of the draw play to a conclusion together to reduce the number of people there. Also best of 11 isn’t horrific in the early rounds as you often get a lot of one sided affairs

How Would you work that in each Quarter theres only 4 matches in the last qualifying round which means you will need to extend the Event longer to acomadate that and with players needing to isolate when they fly in they will need to come in very soon if the borders are open that is.

so much to think about as it is Ding needs to arrive in this country about 5th of july to be ready to play the Tour Championship starting 21st

if you extend qualifying too much players will need to be here mid june.

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Just have each quarter of the draw play to a conclusion together to reduce the number of people there. Also best of 11 isn’t horrific in the early rounds as you often get a lot of one sided affairs

How Would you work that in each Quarter theres only 4 matches in the last qualifying round which means you will need to extend the Event longer to acomadate that and with players needing to isolate when they fly in they will need to come in very soon if the borders are open that is.

so much to think about as it is Ding needs to arrive in this country about 5th of july to be ready to play the Tour Championship starting 21st

Exactly if you are doing a quarter of the draw at a time - whilst it would arguably reduce the number of players required at any one time would mean potentially players taking part in four consecutive sessions over the two day qualifying period, if that was the case, even Best of 11 Frame matches might be too lengthy to play consecutively. If the draw was played out in sections, it wouldn't surprise me if the matches went to Best of 9 Frames.

I like the suggested timetable for if the matches were both Best of 11 early on and Best of 19 Frames, but I can't see WST extending the qualifying period. If anything the reason why the matches are potentially being shortened is to try and reduce the length of the qualifiers and the number of tables needed.

It'd be interesting to see if you could get a combined format of 11 and 19 Frame matches into an eight day time-frame. If there are 32 matches in each round bar the last then it could be done if the early stage matches were all 11 frames apart from the last qualifying round.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Exactly if you are doing a quarter of the draw at a time - whilst it would arguably reduce the number of players required at any one time would mean potentially players taking part in four consecutive sessions over the two day qualifying period, if that was the case, even Best of 11 Frame matches might be too lengthy to play consecutively. If the draw was played out in sections, it wouldn't surprise me if the matches went to Best of 9 Frames.

I like the suggested timetable for if the matches were both Best of 11 early on and Best of 19 Frames, but I can't see WST extending the qualifying period. If anything the reason why the matches are potentially being shortened is to try and reduce the length of the qualifiers and the number of tables needed.

It'd be interesting to see if you could get a combined format of 11 and 19 Frame matches into an eight day time-frame. If there are 32 matches in each round bar the last then it could be done if the early stage matches were all 11 frames apart from the last qualifying round.

My way of doing it is the only acceptable way of doing it safely and try and keep the spirit of the event

any other way just would not be acceptable

Normally they set up 11 tables my way its 8 tables and only 2 sessions which means you can spread out the sessions ie for the Best of 11 Play 10am and 7pm sessions which means players from the first session would be long gone by the time the 2nd session players arrive and for the Best of 19 11am and 5pm Sessions like they do every year with judgement day.

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:
Wildey wrote:

My way of doing it is the only acceptable way of doing it safely and try and keep the spirit of the event

Normally they set up 11 tables my way its 8 tables and only 2 sessions which means you can spread out the sessions ie for the Best of 11 Play 10am and 7pm sessions which means players from the first session would be long gone by the time the 2nd session players arrive and for the Best of 19 11am and 5pm Sessions like they do every year with judgement day.

Oh I agree entirely and would much prefer this format to a Best of 11 Frame format throughout. With eight tables and well spread out sessions it would work well (with at least a dozen less people required in the environment each day). Alas I don't think it would be adopted. The idea of the Best of 11 Frame matches in the first place is to try and reduce the length of the qualifiers in the first instance. - Going to ten days unfortunately won't be on WST's agenda I feel.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:
Wildey wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Oh I agree entirely and would much prefer this format to a Best of 11 Frame format throughout. With eight tables and well spread out sessions it would work well (with at least a dozen less people required in the environment each day). Alas I don't think it would be adopted. The idea of the Best of 11 Frame matches in the first place is to try and reduce the length of the qualifiers in the first instance. - Going to ten days unfortunately won't be on WST's agenda I feel.

I Disagree thats the only option if they cant play full qualifiers integrity of the sport is in the ballance you cant have it any other way and considering nothing been happening for a few months the venue would jump at it plus World Snooker will save time erecting 3 tables up.

You got to keep in the spirit of the event otherwise its totally pointless and the Winner would be a tin pot winner.