Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Gibraltar Open !!!

Postby cupotee

LDS wrote:
cupotee wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:dinnerladies was good though.

i never actually watched it tbf , i don't think i've watched a bbc1 comedy round the eight to nine pm slot since the 80's , brush strokes or open all hours , something like that .

I'm exactly the same. Sit-coms just seemed to die one day. At least for me and you it seems. I think the last one I can remember watching more than one of was the Brittas Empire, the one set in a leisure centre starring the guy from Red Dwarf.

yes i remember dear john with ralph bates well too , remember the theme show well , i liked his movie the horror of frankenstein with kate o mara as well , good movie , it got a bad rap but i couldn't give a hoot what anyone else says , also i don't want to be born with joan collins , class !!

Postby McManusFan

LDS wrote:
cupotee wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:dinnerladies was good though.

i never actually watched it tbf , i don't think i've watched a bbc1 comedy round the eight to nine pm slot since the 80's , brush strokes or open all hours , something like that .

I'm exactly the same. Sit-coms just seemed to die one day. At least for me and you it seems. I think the last one I can remember watching more than one of was the Brittas Empire, the one set in a leisure centre starring the guy from Red Dwarf.

There have been loads of great sitcoms in the last 10 years or so. A personal favourite of mine is 'Man Down' with Greg Davies and the late Rik Mayall, extremely funny stuff. I'm watching 'This Country' at the moment, which is also very good.

Postby McManusFan

LDS wrote:The detectorists is supposed to be really good as well. I really should try some again some time.

It's absolutely brilliant, I'm a bit annoyed I forgot to mention it! It does the difficult job of being warm without being mawkish and sickly.

Postby cupotee

a recent sitcom i really like is toast of london , yes stephen this is clem fandango can you hear me , he's just ******* said that , love it , and the sketch show cardinal burns , might be the best sketch show i've ever seen , not sure .

Postby Dan-cat

cupotee wrote:a recent sitcom i really like is toast of london , yes stephen this is clem fandango can you hear me , he's just ******* said that , love it , and the sketch show cardinal burns , might be the best sketch show i've ever seen , not sure .

Toast is brilliant. Clem Fandango! Love it! :)

Postby McManusFan

cupotee wrote:a recent sitcom i really like is toast of london , yes stephen this is clem fandango can you hear me , he's just ******* said that , love it , and the sketch show cardinal burns , might be the best sketch show i've ever seen , not sure .

Toast is also terrific, Matt Berry is very good. He was great in the IT crowd too.

Another good one is Motherland.

Postby Andre147

That's 6 ranking Finals he's lost now, without winning one, more than any other player.

Ok two of those came in shorter formats, but he's lost four on proper ones, and you could argue he should have taken advantage of the shorter, but he still couldn't win.

At least he's still putting himself in these positions, just hope he doesn't play Trump in the next or Trump has a very bad day.

Postby McManusFan

Does anyone know if Jack has a coach or anything? He seems to struggle with the high pressure situations, someone like Terry Griffiths would probably be a big help.

Postby cupotee

McManusFan wrote:Does anyone know if Jack has a coach or anything? He seems to struggle with the high pressure situations, someone like Terry Griffiths would probably be a big help.

can't speak for his other finals but i didn't see this one like that at all , he's just playing someone who's very difficult to beat , he missed a pink in the third frame that he should have won but trump made a century in the second frame and missed a pink for another in the last , its his problem to solve he's got someone that only happens to be his practise partner as the best tutor , nothing to see really .

Postby Wildey

cupotee wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Does anyone know if Jack has a coach or anything? He seems to struggle with the high pressure situations, someone like Terry Griffiths would probably be a big help.

can't speak for his other finals but i didn't see this one like that at all , he's just playing someone who's very difficult to beat , he missed a pink in the third frame that he should have won but trump made a century in the second frame and missed a pink for another in the last , its his problem to solve he's got someone that only happens to be his practise partner as the best tutor , nothing to see really .

Matthew Selt had Judd on the ropes in the semi final but he got up and took the match 4-1 thats just how hard to beat hes become.

he does seem to have become institutionalised with Milton Keynes though so it will be interesting to see how the Tour championship at the Celtic Manor will go.

Postby Iranu

Short formats aren’t gonna help Jack while he continues to start so slowly.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet1 wrote:3 frames lost all event. That is some level of dominance. A cut above the rest.

The more dominant hes coming the more desperate he will become of rubber stamping it with multi World Championships.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:3 frames lost all event. That is some level of dominance. A cut above the rest.

The more dominant hes coming the more desperate he will become of rubber stamping it with multi World Championships.

But Wild, he sees all tournaments the same, the World isn’t special to him.

rofl

Postby McManusFan

cupotee wrote:

I didn't see much of the final, but in the decider with Lu Ning (which Jack did great to come back from 3-1 down) he was missing balls all over the shop. In a way he was quite lucky Lu struggled with the pressure too.

Postby Reg Varney

LDS wrote:The detectorists is supposed to be really good as well. I really should try some again some time.

I highly second the recommendation of the Detectorists, and pretty certain it is up on the iPlayer too.

Congratulations Judd on adding another Tinpot ranker to the resume!

Postby SnookerFan

I can see Wild's point, to an extent.

Obviously, The Crucible stands alone as the most significant, but that doesn't mean the rest of the tournaments don't matter.

Are you seriously saying that it's okay for a player to turn up and not try to win every tournament they enter? You can't just decide when you find form, so trying harder for the events that happen to be on BBC or ITV wouldn't necessarily work.

I guess you could suggest that there's less pressure on something like The Gibraltar Open than say The Masters or the UK, so maybe there's something to be said for using those ones as a barometer. But on the other hand, the best way to gain confidence is to win tournaments. Any tournaments.

Say Judd came into the Worlds without having one any tournaments this season. Where would his confidence be then?

Also, as much as something like winning The Crucible as often as possible is an important factor in rating a player's career, so is consistency over several seasons. You can't say picking up a lot of trophies means nothing, just because it's been a season or two since you've won a BBC event.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:I can see Wild's point, to an extent.

Obviously, The Crucible stands alone as the most significant, but that doesn't mean the rest of the tournaments don't matter.

Are you seriously saying that it's okay for a player to turn up and not try to win every tournament they enter? You can't just decide when you find form, so trying harder for the events that happen to be on BBC or ITV wouldn't necessarily work.

I guess you could suggest that there's less pressure on something like The Gibraltar Open than say The Masters or the UK, so maybe there's something to be said for using those ones as a barometer. But on the other hand, the best way to gain confidence is to win tournaments. Any tournaments.

Say Judd came into the Worlds without having one any tournaments this season. Where would his confidence be then?

Also, as much as something like winning The Crucible as often as possible is an important factor in rating a player's career, so is consistency over several seasons. You can't say picking up a lot of trophies means nothing, just because it's been a season or two since you've won a BBC event.

:goodpost:

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:

But Wild, he sees all tournaments the same, the World isn’t special to him.

rofl

We all know it is he himself made a point after he reached the WC Final 2011 he prioritised BBC Events because that what the Greats been winning regularly.

personally i dont see it like that some of the other tournaments just as big if not bigger than the UK now but the World Championship is different at the mo hes on a par with Dennis Taylor and Joe Johnson on that score 1 win and 1 Rup

Postby SnookerFan

For me, the World Championship is the only one that is indisputably bigger than the rest.

I know The Masters and the UK have the history, and though I do think that's a key factor, there are other factors involved. The shortening of the UK Championships, for example. Many think that lessens prestige
Also, stuff like The Coral Series popping up have diluted the amount of top player only events we have now. Some would say that doesn't affect The Masters prestige, others would say it does. The Champion Of Champions is one of the highlights of the season, for example. But doesn't have the history or early match length of The Masters. Does this matter? If it's just down to history, the Welsh Open is the fourth biggest tournament on the calendar. So what other factors count towards prestige? Match length? Prize money available? Visibility, or whether it's on a mainstream channel? It's all down to opinion.

Literally nobody has the opinion that The Crucible isn't the biggest tournament of the year. By any measurement it's bigger than the rest.

Postby SnookerEd25

Absolutely, SF. Growing up, that was always the highlight of my entire year. At Primary school, my peers may have most looked forward to Christmas, or to the last day of term before breaking up for that seemingly mammoth summer holiday, or FA Cup Final Saturday but for me those 2 weeks at the Crucible were the absolute zenith. Extensive BBC coverage, including the final LIVE (worth noting that most other tournaments, even the Masters & UK, only garnered highlights of the finals until well into the 90s) but the Worlds was different. The Radio Times even carried the tournament draw so you could cut it out and fill it in as it progressed, much like you can with World Cup & Euro Championships these days) - the Embassy World Championship was huge!

And similarly, when it was all over and the last ball had been potted, I sunk into the same sort of funk that most of my schoolmates felt when Christmas was over, or you had to go back to school in September. That year long wait for the next Championship, despite all the other tournaments on the calendar, seemed a lifetime...

There's the Worlds, then theres the rest; that is how it has always been. <ok>

Postby TheRocket

I agree that the World is something else and different tier but I dont think the UK and Masters are like your average tournament. The UK certainly wasnt when it was still a multi session tournament. Back then it was absolutely the 2nd biggest tournament.

If you look at some of the best rivalries and matches we've ever had in Snooker history the matches you remember the most are from the World,UK or Masters. They are the ones you tend to remember. The bo31 UK finals, all the great Mastersfinals which went to a decider and the World obviously speaks for itself.

So I dont think its just the BBC but its actually the players that put the UK and Masters above any other tournament bar the World. Watch Trumps interview from more than a year ago and he said how great it would be if he could hold the World,Masters and UK all at the same time. Back then he was obviously Masters and World Champion.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:The problems started when the UK reduced the format.

very true that. The worst mistake which Hearn has done. Much worse than making the Shootout a ranker.

Postby LDS

It's not just the TC where Judd has struggled to win the trophy though, it's deeper than that by quite a margin.

For example, he's also never won the Welsh Open, probably the most prestigious of what are now called the Home Nations comps.

The other big non-ranker is also missing from his collection, with zero Champion of Champions trophies.

Also nothing at the Shanghai Masters, either ranking or non-ranking.

Postby Dragonfly

TheRocket wrote:I agree that the World is something else and different tier but I dont think the UK and Masters are like your average tournament. The UK certainly wasnt when it was still a multi session tournament. Back then it was absolutely the 2nd biggest tournament.

If you look at some of the best rivalries and matches we've ever had in Snooker history the matches you remember the most are from the World,UK or Masters. They are the ones you tend to remember. The bo31 UK finals, all the great Mastersfinals which went to a decider and the World obviously speaks for itself.

So I dont think its just the BBC but its actually the players that put the UK and Masters above any other tournament bar the World. Watch Trumps interview from more than a year ago and he said how great it would be if he could hold the World,Masters and UK all at the same time. Back then he was obviously Masters and World Champion.

Absolutely agree 100%. I've been banging on about this for some time now. I've been a snooker fan since the 80s. And all the matches I remember are from the Worlds, Masters and UK. Obviously there have been some great matches in other events over the years. But they haven't had the same imprint on my memory. For example I vividly recall the Williams v Hendry Masters respot black. Sometimes friends ask if I remember Higgins v Davis UK final. Of course I do. Will anybody ever ask can I remember the 2021 Gibraltar open in 40 years. Of course they won't.

The events that matter are the triple crown events. Ask Hendry. The other events earn the winners some nice cheques. They have little or no effect on the public.