Post a reply

Re: 2021 Players Championship Prediction Contest

Postby PLtheRef

The only prediction I received via PM was SnookerFan:

SNOOKERFAN wrote:I'll go Ronnie 10-9 as my prediction

McManusFan will confirm my prediction but for the record here it is.

PLTHEREF wrote:7-10 O'Sullivan (1) v Higgins [10] - Joker

Postby McManusFan

PLtheRef wrote:The only prediction I received via PM was SnookerFan:

SNOOKERFAN wrote:I'll go Ronnie 10-9 as my prediction

McManusFan will confirm my prediction but for the record here it is.

PLTHEREF wrote:7-10 O'Sullivan (1) v Higgins [10] - Joker

Confirmed. <ok>

Postby Raphael98

McManusFan wrote:
Raphael98 wrote:Hey McManusFan, can you confirm my prediction as well? Or did my PM not come to you? Just to confirm.

Sorry, but I never received it.

That is what I feared, I never sent these PMs at the end of tournaments well for some reason. Oh well, may the best player and predictor win!

Postby McManusFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I know McManusfan lives in Australia and there's a huge time difference.

It's awful, I only managed a few hours sleep last night - no way I'm missing this final, it could very well be the last we get.

Postby PLtheRef

Here is the table following the Final. As O'Sullivan didn't win, no further bonus points were added.

Whilst the prediction was relatively split (5 for Ronnie, 5 for John) - a shout out to McManusFan - the only player to predict a 10-3 Higgins win.

Final Table
48 PLTHEREF 11 - 2
44 SUNDAYGIRL 9 - 1
43 SNOOKERFAN 11 - 1
42 VODKADIET1 11 - 1
40 McMANUSFAN 9 - 1
38 RAPHAEL98 10 - 2
36 JUDDERNAUT88 10 - 1
33 MACK501 8 - 2
32 LDS 9 - 0
32 ANDRE147 8 - 2
31 DAN-CAT 8 - 1
30 IRANU 9 - 3

Many thanks all for taking part. - Any feedback on the format (including Jokers) would be welcome.

Postby Andre147

Once again the one who's running the contest wins lol. Seems to be a trend since lately, even when I ran mine.

Well done PL.

Enjoyed the format and the jokers. BUT I do believe the correct score should have been awarded more points like in other contests. It's hard to predict the correct score in these Best of 11s, so it should be rewarded with more.

Apart from that, great contest!

Postby Raphael98

Congratulations PL for not only the contest, but also the win in itself! I feel gutted for having not sent a proper PM with the result (I know, it's the third time I say it), but to be fair, the better predictor won it! And also congratulations to all the participants (SnookerFan was a nice surprise, I have to say), but all the others were good as well!

Postby sundaygirl

Congratulations PL
It would have been scandalous if I’d won with a 9/15 correct prediction rate
Loved the jokers and not just because I was one of the main beneficiaries this time round

Postby PLtheRef

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and feedback. Feel like I picked the pocket there somewhat by only taking the lead on Finals day.

ANDRE147 wrote:Enjoyed the format and the jokers. BUT I do believe the correct score should have been awarded more points like in other contests. It's hard to predict the correct score in these Best of 11s, so it should be rewarded with more.

That is something I'll definitely consider. I usually try and make the points available for a correct score more than half the points available for a correct winner (so you'd not get 4 points for a score-line with 5 for a correct winner etc.) or half of the target (i.e. a Best of 11 Frames match wouldn't have any more than 3 for the correct score-line.) The exceptions to this being the Home Nations where you can get 1 point for the top 32 winning matches in any case and the Crucible as it has its own standalone format). You're right that it should have a higher score than predicting the correct score-line in matches which are Best of 7 and 9 though as it is the longest 1 session fixture. - All of that said though, it's only how I do things - anyone who runs a contest is free to set the scores for winners, score-lines, etc freely how they wish.

I know it was asked last Monday if a Joker can be used on predicting a finalist. Something I'd not considered before and it seemed rather enterprising (had I not already made it clear that Jokers had to be placed on the 15 matches, I would certainly have seen no reason why not) - It's something I'll definitely look at for future contests.