Topic locked

Re: Revolving Cues 2022-2023

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:This season there will also be tiebreakers for the winner of the competition if need be, come the end of the season. I will confirm these at a later date but they will involve things like most tournament winners, most unique winners etc.

I might have missed it, but has there been any clarification on this?

Nope not really. I’ve thought about it a lot but I’m struggling to determine the ‘levels’ of the tiebreakers if need be. Keep changing my mind. I’ll confirm over the weekend.

Why not just pit those ‘winners’ against each other, in Iranu’s Broken Skull Challenge? :chin:

I am not Stone Cold

Postby Prop

Ronnie O’Sullivan and Mark Selby please, ‘wanu.

I was going to play for the tactical tiebreaker but seeing as the rules aren’t clear I thought I’d go for the clear win.

Good luck to Chengdufan and the other contenders!

Postby gninnur karona

Mark Selby and Jack Lisowski please.

Worth noting Iranu that you would probably be the most popular winner of any snookerisland competition ever. Over a billion supporters. Impressive.

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:Ronnie O’Sullivan and Mark Selby please, ‘wanu.

I was going to play for the tactical tiebreaker but seeing as the rules aren’t clear I thought I’d go for the clear win.

Good luck to you too Prop (and others) :hatoff:
To be honest, I have Vafaei as a wildcard, so I'm probably already out of contention :-)

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:
Prop wrote:Ronnie O’Sullivan and Mark Selby please, ‘wanu.

Good luck to you too Prop (and others) :hatoff:
To be honest, I have Vafaei as a wildcard, so I'm probably already out of contention :-)

You watch Vafaei win it now <laugh>

Postby Iranu

gninnur karona wrote:Worth noting Iranu that you would probably be the most popular winner of any snookerisland competition ever. Over a billion supporters. Impressive.

:anyone:

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:
gninnur karona wrote:Worth noting Iranu that you would probably be the most popular winner of any snookerisland competition ever. Over a billion supporters. Impressive.

the people's champion.

Postby Prop

HappyCamper wrote:
Iranu wrote:

the people's champion.

The champion’s champion.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:

I think, what he’s trying to say is : keep talking, Iranu <ok>

Postby Iranu

As Things Stand: World Championship Semi-Finals

Chengdufan: Shaun Murphy, Mark Selby

Prop: Ronnie O’Sullivan, Mark Selby

Gninnur Karona: Mark Selby, Jack Lisowski

Minimum Break: Mark Selby, Jack Lisowski

Andre147: Ronnie O’Sullivan, Judd Trump

TheRocket: Ronnie O’Sullivan, Judd Trump

Mantorok: Neil Robertson, Jack Lisowski

Holden Chinaski: Ronnie O’Sullivan, Mark Selby

CSPrince: Neil Robertson, Kyren Wilson

Runningside: Ronnie O’Sullivan, Shaun Murphy

Pink Ball: Ronnie O’Sullivan, Mark Selby

Snookerfan: Judd Trump, Neil Robertson

Iranu: Mark Selby Judd Trump

CK147: Neil Robertson, Judd Trump

Wildey: Neil Robertson, Judd Trump

Juddernaut88: Ronnie O’Sullivan, Mark Selby

Dan-cat: Ronnie O’Sullivan, Robert Milkins

Sundaygirl: Ricky Walden, Mark Allen

SnookerEd: Ronnie O’Sullivan, Ali Carter

McManusfan: John Higgins, Mark Selby

As things stand, at the top of the leaderboard Chengdufan numerically has a two-point advantage over Prop. However, with Chengdufan’s wildcard Hossein Vafaei no longer involved and having not won a tournament this season, Chengdu will be losing two points and so they are effectively tied on 11 points each.

They ALSO both have Mark Selby left, meaning neither can gain anything on the other.*

At the other end, McManusfan is also relying on Selby; in his case, to avoid finishing on zero points.

There’s no pink dildo on offer for the loser of this competition. But I might have a buttplug lying around.

*Tiebreak

The tiebreak will be decided by the most instances of the highest scores per tournament e.g. 2x 4 point scores will beat 1x 4 point scores. This will continue for 3 point and 1 point scores. If all this is equal, the highest number of frames across all tournament finals in which points are scored will be the winner e.g. 19, 17, 17 would beat 17, 17, 17.

Postby Iranu

McManusFan wrote:I think I'd prefer the zero points.

Well you definitely didn’t get zero...

Postby Iranu

Post-World Championship - FINAL SCORES:

WINNER
Prop - 12 points + 2 x 4 point scores

2nd
Chengdufan - 12 points + 1 x 4 point score

3rd
Gninnur Karona - 11 points

4th
Minimum Break - 9 points

=5th
Andre147, TheRocket - 8 points

7th
Mantorok, Holden Chinaski - 7 points

=9th
Runningside, Pink Ball - 6 points

=11th
Juddernaut, Snookerfan - 5 points

=13th
CSPrince, CK147, Wildey - 4 points

=16th
Iranu, Dan-Cat, SundayGirl - 3 points

=19th
SnookerEd, McManusfan - -1 point

In the end, Chengdufan’s hopes of a victory were dashed as soon as Ronnie O’Sullivan beat Hossein Vafaei.

The -2 points for his unsuccessful tenure as a wildcard meant that, as both Chengdu and Prop had Mark Selby on their team, the only difference was whether Prop would win via tiebreaker or total point score.

In the end it was the tiebreaker that did it. Prop scored two maximum scores of 4 points throughout the season compared to Chengdu’s one.

Congratulations to Prop! :win:

At the other end of the table, McManusfan finally scored 1 point at the death for Mark Selby being the beaten finalist!

Unfortunately he also lost 2 points for an unsuccessful wildcard in Pang Junxu and therefore finishes on -1 point. Ed, who had been sitting pretty with 1 point since the Champion of Champions, joins him after being let down by Michael White.

A complete turnaround from the previous season in which each of the top three places were decided in large part thanks to a wildcard.

A wildcard who by the way happened to be none other than Luca Brecel.

It’s funny how things work out.

Nobody scored 3 points for choosing Luca because, well, why the buck would we have done that?

Many thanks to all who took part and congratulations again to Prop who, frankly, is a lucky son of a lovely lady.

The past two seasons have demonstrated the risk/reward of choosing a wildcard more perfectly than I could have ever imagined. I can only assume that next season everybody who picks a wildcard will finish squarely in midtable on equal points.

Postby Prop

Finally, I’m no longer the best player never to win a ranking event :D

Cheers :hatoff:

Postby McManusFan

Congrats Prop, and thanks Ed for joining me at the bottom.

My Pang wildcard so nearly paid off.

Thanks Iranu for running this. I look forward to next year's instalment.

Postby chengdufan

Well done Prop! And thanks Iranu :-)

I'm the Jack Lisowski of the prediction competitions. Looking like a contender in all, but ultimately slipping away at crunch time!

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:Congrats Prop, and thanks Ed for joining me at the bottom.

The pleasure was all mine, McMF :hatoff:

Postby Iranu

I’ll set up the next season thread in due course but feel free to register your participation here in the meantime.

And if anyone has any better ideas for tie breakers - or thinks they should be removed - feel free to let me know.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:I’ll set up the next season thread in due course but feel free to register your participation here in the meantime.

And if anyone has any better ideas for tie breakers - or thinks they should be removed - feel free to let me know.

Fistfight to replace tie-breakers <ok>

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:I’ll set up the next season thread in due course but feel free to register your participation here in the meantime.

Least number of switches? Or most number of switches to reward active participation?

Postby Prop

How about an aggregate of the one year ranking positions of the winners at the time of the wins/finals?

Someone who picks up points with players ranked 18th, 13th, 22nd and 10th would arguably have played the riskier game than someone winning with 2nd, 4th, 1st and 6th. So maybe that should be rewarded in the event of a tiebreak. It’s easy to just pick a pair based on rankings or legacy, but picking outsiders that come good based on instinct or a finer knowledge of current form is arguably more of an accomplishment.

Postby Iranu

I’m a bit reluctant to encourage either sticking or switching because (I think at least) part of the appeal is that participants can change teams as much or as little as they like. I wouldn’t want either to become a tactical feature if that makes sense. I don’t really care whether people actively participate or not once they’ve started.

Aggregate ranking positions isn’t a bad idea. It does veer a little into Think Pink territory. Currently, the wildcards act as the potential reward for believing in a lower ranked player.

I’ll have a think on that one.

If anyone has any ideas that WOULDN’T rely on me keeping a record of every bucking player choice throughout the season that would be welcomed rofl

I did also consider assigning tiebreak preference to tournaments based on stature (e.g. 4 points in the WC beats 4 points in Gibraltar) but that could get a bit messy. I could develop a system based on prestige, but then a lot of the more prestigious tournaments are reduced fields and therefore theoretically easier to score in.