Post a reply

Shell Think Pink 2023/24

Postby Pink Ball

Hello ladies and gentlemen.

Our fourth Think Pink season is nearing its end, and I’m posting the 2023/24 thread a bit early ahead of two major rule change for entries to the 2023/24 event. Also to announce a three year sponsorship deal with oil company Shell.
First, entries will be accepted via PM this year instead of posting them on the main thread.
I’ve done this for two reasons. I’ve noticed it can be an advantage to see who everyone else has picked before picking your team. I can also check with moderators if I’m suspicious that anyone has entered more than once before accepting their entry.
Think it will cause a drop in the field size but will protect the competition.
I have also introduced a soft deadline and a hard deadline. If you enter after the soft deadline, you can be accepted, but you will start with a points deduction, as outlined in rule 15. You cannot enter after the hard deadline.

These are the 2023/24 rules:

1. The world’s top 96 ranked players will be split into 16 groups of six according to rankings at the conclusion of the 2023 World Championship. Group one will contain players ranked one to six; group two will contain players ranked seven to 12; group three will contain players ranked 13 to 18, and so on and so forth until group 16, which will contain players ranked 91 to 96.
2. Each entrant picks one player in each group as a team member.
3. You must then select a 17th player as a wildcard. This can be any snooker player who is not ranked inside the world's top 96.
4. You must submit your entry via PM. I may also accept entries posted in this thread, but be advised that you may be putting yourself at a disadvantage by doing so.
5. Every ranking tournament counts towards the scoring, except for the Shootout. Invitational events do not count. Should a new ranking event be announced, I will let you know whether or not it will count, and how valuable it will be.
6. The scoring criteria is the same as last year. If your Group One player makes it to a quarter final, they score you one point; two for a semi-final; three for a final; and four for winning a ranking tournament. If your Group Two player makes it to a quarter final, they score you two points; four for a semi-final; six for a final; and eight for winning a ranking tournament. For group three players it goes 3, 6, 9, 12; group four goes 4, 8, 12, 16, and so on and so forth until group 16 players, which goes 16, 32, 48, 64. A wildcard player, meanwhile, scores 25, 50, 75, 100 for the above.
7. The World Championship carries triple points on the above.
8. Any tournament which has a final shorter than best of 17 will be worth half points on what’s stated in rule five.
9. The first tie-break criteria is to check which of the tied entrants has the highest-scoring team member. If still tied, we check the second-highest-scoring team member, then third, and so on and so forth.
If the tie-break hasn't been broken after checking each team member, then it's a dead-heat between the players, unless both players have picked exactly the same team. In that case, whoever entered their team first wins.
10. We will be open to entries once the 2023 World Championship final is over, and entries will be accepted without penalties until 23:59:59 on May 25th, the eve of Q School.
11. All you have to do to enter is fill out the template below once the deadline is open and the players included in each group have been posted.
12. Once you have entered, you cannot change your team. Once the deadline has passed, I will post each entry publicly in this thread after the deadline has passed.
13. Once I have confirmed your team is eligible, then you are signed up to battle for the 2023 Champion’s Jacket.
14. If there is an error in your team selection, I will provisionally accept the portion of your entry that has been filled out correctly. You will be notified that you have until the deadline to fix your error. If you do not fix the error before the soft deadline (i.e. before May 26th), the portion I’d accepted at that point will be considered your final entry.
15. If you enter your team at any time on May 26th, I can still accept it, but you will start with a 10 point deduction. If you enter at any time on May 27th, you will start with a 20 point deduction. If you enter at any time on May 28th, you will start with a 30-point deduction. Anyone who enters from May 29th onwards will not be accepted.
16. If you have entered before the deadline but filled out your team with an error or errors, you can continue with your team as is. You can, however, still correct all errors up to and including May 28th, but the penalties in rule 15 will apply. You cannot correct an error or errors from May 29th onwards. You cannot change anything that was filled out correctly in your previous entry form or forms.
17. Any participants who moderators believe have entered more than once using more than one Snooker Island ID will have all their entries disqualified if I choose to do so. I reserve the right to refuse admission to anyone who attempts to enter Think Pink.

This is the roll of honour (which will be updated after the 2023 tournament ends):
2020: Rekoons
2021: McManusfan
2022: SnookerFan
2023: HappyCamper

This is the template:

Team name:
Group one:
Group two:
Group three:
Group four:
Group five:
Group six:
Group seven:
Group eight:
Group nine:
Group ten:
Group eleven:
Group twelve:
Group thirteen:
Group fourteen:
Group fifteen:
Group sixteen:
Wild card:

And here is the beautiful prize:
Last edited by Pink Ball on 18 May 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Shell Think Pink 2023/24

Postby SnookerEd25

My, that is a lovely prize <ok>

Are there any residual benefits for entrants in Shell garages?

For example, a discount on your fuel on production of a ThinkPink team card? :chin:

Postby Prop

I used to have a Shell card that knocked money off my fuel, but I stopped using it after they changed the ‘rewards’ to some sort of Jamie Oliver promotion instead.

Clearly the marketing team have seen the error of their ways, and this long-term deal with Pink Enterprises ushers in a new dawn of aggressive capitalism :-)

Viva la oil!

Postby Iranu

Three deadlines? You’ve gone soft.

You’re not like... happy or something, are you? :hmmm:

Postby Pink Ball

We are now open for entries VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE to me.

Groups for 2023/24, based on the world rankings as of 23.11pm, May 1, 2023:

Group One: Ronnie O’Sullivan, Luca Brecel, Mark Allen, Judd Trump, Mark Selby, Neil Robertson
Group Two: Shaun Murphy, Kyren Wilson, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Zhao Xintong, Ali Carter
Group Three: Robert Milkins, Jack Lisowski, Gary Wilson, Ryan Day, Ding Junhui, Hossein Vafaei
Group Four: Anthony McGill, Barry Hawkins, Dave Gilbert, Ricky Walden, Yan Bingtao, Tom Ford
Group Five: Stuart Bingham, Jimmy Robertson, Zhou Yuelong, Joe Perry, Noppon Saengkham, Matthew Selt
Group Six: Chris Wakelin, Stephen Maguire, Joe O’Connor, Fan Zhengyi, Pang Junxu, Si Jiahui
Group Seven: Jak Jones, Jordan Brown, Anthony Hamilton, Thepchaiya Un-Nooh, Graeme Dott, Cao Yupeng
Group Eight: Xiao Guodong, Matthew Stevens, Jamie Jones, Ben Woollaston, Lyu Haotian, Jackson Page
Group Nine: Elliot Slessor, Robbie Williams, Wu Yize, Yuan Sijun, Sam Craigie, Scott Donaldson
Group Ten: Tian Pengfei, David Grace, Liam Highfield, Jamie Clarke, Andy Hicks, Zhang Anda
Group Eleven: Oliver Lines, Martin Gould, Dominic Dale, Mark King, Lu Ning, Xu Si
Group Twelve: Mark Joyce, Mark Davis, Hammad Miah, Stuart Carrington, Li Hang, Liang Wenbo
Group Thirteen: Peter Lines, Ian Burns, Jimmy White, Mitchell Mann, Louis Heathcote, Michael White
Group Fourteen: Ashley Hugill, Julien Leclerq, Lei Peifan, David Lilley, John Astley, Barry Pinches
Group Fifteen: Duane Jones, Andrew Pagett, Alexander Ursenbacher, Chang Bingyu, Fraser Patrick, Craig Steadman
Group Sixteen: James Cahill, Gerard Greene, Zhang Jiankang, Ben Mertens, Aaron Hill, Dylan Emery

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:Three deadlines? You’ve gone soft.

You’re not like... happy or something, are you? :hmmm:

i'm happy, not him!

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:I have submitted my entry to Iranu, who will confirm whether it is valid or not.

Valid entry confirmed.

Welcome aboard, Pink Ball!

Postby Pink Ball

Entrants so far (6):
The 32-County Republic (Pink Ball)
miscue (rekoons)
4th place is NOT a trophy (Juddernaut88)
None of these better get banned (snoopy2608)
Gentlemen, Scholars, Acrobats (Empire State Human)
Sundayboys (and a gal) : The Final Frontier (sundaygirl)

Postby Pink Ball

Entrants so far (8):
miscue (rekoons)
The Belgiums are coming! (Holden Chinaski)
Pink Pals 4: A Good Day To Dye Pink (Iranu)

Postby Pink Ball

LDS wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Group Six: Chris Wakelin, Stephen Maguire, Joe O’Connor, Fan Zhengyi, Pang Junxu, Si Jiahui

All in the same group.

It's so :shrug: 'ing difficult to select just one. :hmmm:

I couldn't agree more. Could have been the Group of Death of any Think Pink season for me. Stacked with players you think could well outperform that ranking.

Postby Pink Ball

Pink Ball wrote:Entrants so far (8):
miscue (rekoons)

I fully expected and still fully expect participation numbers to drop this year due to the PM entry system (a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the integrity of the competition) but to have as many as 8 entrants just 2 days in has reminded me again of the brilliant support you have all given Think Pink since it began 4 years ago.

Thank you!

Postby Pink Ball

Entrants so far (9):
miscue (rekoons)
Attack of the Stripers (McManusfan)

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:I enjoyed my flirtation with the top 5, and then Joe O'Connor and Milky let me down in the final analysis. Pair of bunts.

Joe O’Connor was always going to let you down :hmmm:

And Milkins? Probably :sad:

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:I enjoyed my flirtation with the top 5

Is there anything you won’t flirt with!

Postby SnookerFan

Remind me of the rules to the Wildcard? Was it like an amateur you'd have to pick, or can it be literally anybody you can pick?

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:Remind me of the rules to the Wildcard? Was it like an amateur you'd have to pick, or can it be literally anybody you can pick?

Yeah, it’s really tricky working this out. In the end, I found that reading the rules - particularly number 3 right at the top - solved this beast of a riddle.

HTH!

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:Remind me of the rules to the Wildcard? Was it like an amateur you'd have to pick, or can it be literally anybody you can pick?

how on earth have you won Think Pink?!!

Postby Pink Ball

Entrants so far (14):
miscue (rekoons)
Attack of the Stripers (McManusFan)
Gladiator (TheRocket)
Sprout eater (RunningSide)
Murphy's Law: Ban Amateurs from entering the building (The_Abbott)
Tanita Tikaram Appreciation Society (Reg Varney)
Anne Hegerty's Magical Murkin (Prop)

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:

Yeah, it’s really tricky working this out. In the end, I found that reading the rules - particularly number 3 right at the top - solved this beast of a riddle.

HTH!

<ok>

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:

how on earth have you won Think Pink?!!

I was part of the Chunese lads match fixing scandal.