Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Championship League Stage one !!

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:luo honghao played well today. to win both his matches. very good chance to qualify now.

he only needs a draw with Allen but realistically can you see Allen not beating Castle and Honghao

Can you see it yet?

Postby D4P

Dan-cat wrote:
D4P wrote:What happened? Did someone smash open the pack on the breakoff, pot a red in the process, and make a frame-winning break...?

Correct.

https://twitter.com/CLSnooker/status/13 ... 3859195904

Cool! I've always been a little surprised that Ronnie hasn't done that, especially during his Kamikaze matches (and especially since he's not very good at the breakoff shot anyway...)

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:yeah, it was a dead rubber frame. i think he just wanted to get it over with. he was joking with the ref about it afterwards.

Yes, I don't know if they have special protocols for 'dead' frames, but the referee really should be warning Allen about that kind of shot, not joking about it afterwards.

It may be the first time in pro snooker that a player has won a frame without the opponent playing a shot. Of course it happens regularly in practice.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:yeah, it was a dead rubber frame. i think he just wanted to get it over with. he was joking with the ref about it afterwards.

That's the problem with the Championship League, it can leave frames where it doesn't matter if you win or lose. It's not like he really has the excuse of trying to entertain a crowd either.

What must it have been like in the old days, when they played dead frames in every match? I assume nobody ever did that.

Postby Dan-cat

lhpirnie wrote:

Yes, I don't know if they have special protocols for 'dead' frames, but the referee really should be warning Allen about that kind of shot, not joking about it afterwards.

It may be the first time in pro snooker that a player has won a frame without the opponent playing a shot. Of course it happens regularly in practice.

Why should he be warned? Is a completely legal shot.

Andre?

Postby HappyCamper

Dan-cat wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

Why should he be warned? Is a completely legal shot.

Andre?

arguably it's bad sportsmanship. not that i would agree that it warrants a warning.

Postby SnookerFan

You could argue that it's not professional, I suppose. There's no way he'd have played that shot if the frame meant anything.

That's just the problem with The Championship League. It was invented for punters to bet on, whilst watching it on betting websites. Even with amendments, the tournament doesn't really work as a professional and televised tournament.

Dead frames are going to happen, and it seems pointless to pretend that they aren't utterly meaningless. At least in the Premier League days, you'd get £1000 for every frame you won. So even if you were 4-0, with nothing to play for, there was still some point in winning frames.

Postby Dan-cat

Did Robbo get warned when he did it against Perry when he was losing his marbles in China because he couldn't play online games? No, don't think so. Is a legal shot. I wonder if a player did it repeatedly in a match he would get a warning? I think not. It would make the papers though <laugh> I'd like Ace or Andre to weigh in on the issue though...

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:Did Robbo get warned when he did it against Perry when he was losing his marbles in China because he couldn't play online games? No, don't think so. Is a legal shot. I wonder if a player did it repeatedly in a match he would get a warning? I think not. It would make the papers though <laugh> I'd like Ace or Andre to weigh in on the issue though...

Quinten Hann did it all the time.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Did Robbo get warned when he did it against Perry when he was losing his marbles in China because he couldn't play online games? No, don't think so. Is a legal shot. I wonder if a player did it repeatedly in a match he would get a warning? I think not. It would make the papers though <laugh> I'd like Ace or Andre to weigh in on the issue though...

Quinten Hann did it all the time.

He didn't though did he... twice? Happy to be corrected

Postby Andre147

It's a perfectly legal shot, the referee can't say anything, if anything, the player who does that is leaving the table wide open for his opponent to win the frame, unless of course he pots a ball off the break.

Similar to some of the snooker escapes Ronnie did against Selby hitting them very hard... his choice of shot, and the referee of course didn't say anything because it's a legal shot.