Post a reply

Why I <3 The Masters

Postby Pink Ball

Dean Reynolds, Mark Wildman, Cliff Wilson, Peter Francisco, Martin Clark, Alain Robidoux, Tony Jones, Chris Small, David Roe, Joe Swail, Andy Hicks, Dave Harold, Brian Morgan, David Gray, Mark King, Fergal O’Brien, Mark Davis, Quinten Hann, Joe Perry, Ian McCulloch, Rory McLeod, Jamie Cope, Martin Gould, Robert Milkins, Liang Wenbo, Luca Brecel, David Gilbert, Jack Lisowski.

Yes, to even have a prayer of playing at The Masters, you have to be among the best of the best. Deadwood not welcome.

And if you can't stand the heat, even if you are among the best of the best, maybe it's best to stay out of the kitchen. Just think of 19-year-old Ding Junhui's cringeworthy meltdown as racist gentlemen memorably exposed his frailties. Ding just couldn't cut it in the Masters cake tin.

You know something, maybe we should just leave it in Milton Keynes. Best place for it. Out of sight, out of mind.

Re: Why I <3 The Masters

Postby Iranu

Name a tournament that’s only involved the best of the best.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:Name a tournament that’s only involved the best of the best.

None. You'll always have a strange name that breaks into even the top eight. But David Gilbert, Jack Lisowski, Thepchaiya Un-Nooh and even Yan Bingtao have not done nearly enough to qualify for a tournament that is supposedly elite.

Let them break into the top eight in the world rankings before we leave them into a tournament that should be unashamedly elitist, as it claims to be. The Irish Masters back in the day was more elite. So what exactly is the USP of this fraud tournament?

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:

None. You'll always have a strange name that breaks into even the top eight. But David Gilbert, Jack Lisowski, Thepchaiya Un-Nooh and even Yan Bingtao have not done nearly enough to qualify for a tournament that is supposedly elite.

Let them break into the top eight in the world rankings before we leave them into a tournament that should be unashamedly elitist, as it claims to be. The Irish Masters back in the day was more elite. So what exactly is the USP of this fraud tournament?

The best 16 out of 128 pros (not to mention the thousands of players who’d love to be pros) is pretty elite. And give or take an out of form Gilbert it’s not like they’re false inclusions.

Postby Iranu

Will Yan Bingtao be worthy of a Masters place next season? Let’s watch.

Postby Prop

I still love the Masters. But the Tour Championship is more my idea of an elite tournament.

Postby SnookerEd25

Cliff Wilson, Pinks? :grrr:

Leave the Great Man alone :no:

Postby SnookerEd25

the Kit Kat Break for World Champions.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

The best 16 out of 128 pros (not to mention the thousands of players who’d love to be pros) is pretty elite. And give or take an out of form Gilbert it’s not like they’re false inclusions.

Eight players. Longer format. Make it bucking elite. This is Robinsons Barley Water elite.

Postby csprince

Pink Ball wrote:Dean Reynolds, Mark Wildman, Cliff Wilson, Peter Francisco, Martin Clark, Alain Robidoux, Tony Jones, Chris Small, David Roe, Joe Swail, Andy Hicks, Dave Harold, Brian Morgan, David Gray, Mark King, Fergal O’Brien, Mark Davis, Quinten Hann, Joe Perry, Ian McCulloch, Rory McLeod, Jamie Cope, Martin Gould, Robert Milkins, Liang Wenbo, Luca Brecel, David Gilbert, Jack Lisowski.

Yes, to even have a prayer of playing at The Masters, you have to be among the best of the best. Deadwood not welcome.

And if you can't stand the heat, even if you are among the best of the best, maybe it's best to stay out of the kitchen. Just think of 19-year-old Ding Junhui's cringeworthy meltdown as racist gentlemen memorably exposed his frailties. Ding just couldn't cut it in the Masters cake tin.

You know something, maybe we should just leave it in Milton Keynes. Best place for it. Out of sight, out of mind.

i would hardly call dings meltdown cringeworthy it's a bit difficult to play your best snooker in a hostile atmosphere when you don't speak great english in a foreigh country and people from your own country are racially abusing you and your playing arguably the greatest player of all time at 19.

Postby HappyCamper

I agree that I is strictly less than three times the Masters.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:Eight players. Longer format. Make it bucking elite. This is Robinsons Barley Water elite.

Top eight? Why not the top four? Then it will be truly elite.

Hell, why not just have the top two players duke it out over fourteen sessions across seven days?

The best 16 snooker players out of 7 billion people. That’s not elite, mate.

I do think the semis should be two sessions but aside from that:

Postby TheRocket

Dan-cat wrote:Worlds, Masters, Tour, UK. In that order. Thread locked.

Tour isnt above UK. Maybe in 10 years if it still exists but right now the prestige factor puts the UK above Tour.

Postby Dan-cat

TheRocket wrote:

Tour isnt above UK. Maybe in 10 years if it still exists but right now the prestige factor puts the UK above Tour.

The length of matches and it being the top 8 from the one year list up to that point makes it more enjoyable for me.

Postby TheRocket

Dan-cat wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

The length of matches and it being the top 8 from the one year list up to that point makes it more enjoyable for me.

Thats where I agree. I wish the final would be bo25 though. Shortening to bo19 is a mistake.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Eight players. Longer format. Make it bucking elite. This is Robinsons Barley Water elite.

Hell, why not just have the top two players duke it out over fourteen sessions across seven days?

The players between nine and 16 are, very often, not bucking elite. That's why you'll always get two or three players who just look like they have no bucking business being at an 'elite' tournament. That's the difference between eight and 16. And the killing thing is that the best of 11 format gives them a decent chance to do some damage. It's a forgiving format unbefitting of a 'major'.

We have to hit a sweet spot. Four players playing three matches over eight days is not enough. Eight playing seven matches over eight days is just bucking right.

The Masters is a wasted opportunity.

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:

I know you're joking, but I stupidly long match between the no1 and no2 would make for a great invitational played over a long weekend.

Postby Holden Chinaski

The Masters is the best. Just look at the list of winners and finalists. The cream of the crop.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:The Masters is the best. Just look at the list of winners and finalists. The cream of the crop.

And Ali Carter.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 13 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:The Masters is the best. Just look at the list of winners and finalists. The cream of the crop.

And Ali Caeter.

And Joe Perry

<doh>

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:The shoot-out shouldn't be a ranking event.

I don't want to repeat it. I wouldn't want to bore people with it.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Fergal O’Brien?

In for Ronnie.

pmsl

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:

Well, this is awkward.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Dean Reynolds, Mark Wildman, Cliff Wilson, Peter Francisco, Martin Clark, Alain Robidoux, Tony Jones, Chris Small, David Roe, Joe Swail, Andy Hicks, Dave Harold, Brian Morgan, David Gray, Mark King, Fergal O’Brien, Mark Davis, Quinten Hann, Joe Perry, Ian McCulloch, Rory McLeod, Jamie Cope, Martin Gould, Robert Milkins, Liang Wenbo, Luca Brecel, David Gilbert, Jack Lisowski.

Oh aye.